5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I kind of appreciate Subaru trying to make the CVT feel more like a traditional automatic or DSG - it isn't.
I find the simulated gear-shifting steps when under hard acceleration to be inconsistent and unexpected, and wish I could just turn it off and let the CVT optimize for performance and smoothness like it is meant for. I haven't seen this option in any settings. Does anybody know if it might be possible to disable that behavior?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not possible, it's a mechanical thing "shifter rail detent", not software controlled.
Do you KNOW or are you just making it up?
I logged the RPM and speed through OBD and do not have any data supporting your theory.
As a matter of fact the CVT operates smooth (as one would have a right to expect) under small load. The (annoying) fake shifts come when you step on the gas a bit more.

I have two (speculative) explanations:
a) Programmed in the ECU to give driver more powerful feel (Marketing driven)
b) Programmed in the ECU to reduce wear and tear by constantly changing the ratio under load (Engineering driven)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I logged the RPM and speed through OBD and do not have any data supporting your theory.
As a matter of fact the CVT operates smooth (as one would have a right to expect) under small load. The (annoying) fake shifts come when you step on the gas a bit more...
I was wrong, what i read was for the manual tranny, sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
As a matter of fact the CVT operates smooth (as one would have a right to expect) under small load. The (annoying) fake shifts come when you step on the gas a bit more.

I have two (speculative) explanations:
a) Programmed in the ECU to give driver more powerful feel (Marketing driven)
b) Programmed in the ECU to reduce wear and tear by constantly changing the ratio under load (Engineering driven)
Same observations and speculative explanations I've come up with. I'd love to know what the truth is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The "fake" shift points are SOFTWARE controlled based on throttle-position.

My wife's 2012 Outback has CVT without this annoying 'fake' shifting.....SSSMMMOOOTTTHHH all the time.

Lets not forget that the 'fake' shifting was added in response to "auto reviewers" who did not like the lack of shifting. The 'fake' shifting does NOTHING to help the vehicle in any way besides feel good to some drivers who do not understand that a REAL transmission should not ever be felt.

You are not alone in wanting to disable this silly 'feature'.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m amazed (and a little bit annoyed) at the difference between the new impreza and my wife’s 2015 Forester. The Forester is nice and smooth all the time, if you get on the throttle, yes, the high revs is a little bit annoying, but over 95% this type of programming works. The impreza on the other hand is extremely “clunky” at very light throttle. There should be “dual programming” where on light throttle the transmission behaves the same as the Forester. And when the throttle is stepped on it could revert to the “faux” shift points.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The "fake" shift points are SOFTWARE controlled based on throttle-position.

My wife's 2012 Outback has CVT without this annoying 'fake' shifting.....SSSMMMOOOTTTHHH all the time.

Lets not forget that the 'fake' shifting was added in response to "auto reviewers" who did not like the lack of shifting. The 'fake' shifting does NOTHING to help the vehicle in any way besides feel good to some drivers who do not understand that a REAL transmission should not ever be felt.

You are not alone in wanting to disable this silly 'feature'.
I recall a story of Nissan having to do something like this with their first CVTs. People hated it, so they reprogrammed the TCU to perform 'fake' shifts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
A temporary way to disable the fake shifts is to brake launch it (Where you hold the brake and floor the accelerator, then let off the brake), which is something I do not recommend doing. I tried it once on mine, and it quickly revved up to 6,000 and stayed there until I let off of the throttle. TBH It didn't feel any faster than with the fake shift points. Mine also does it while using the eyesight cruise, where I floor it and it stays at 6,000 rpm rather than shifting.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There is no ability to disable...done on purpose, as stated above, based on consumer feedback. I, for one, like the "fake" shifts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Wife’s 2015 Forester has the real CVT and my 2017 had the fake shifts. We usually traded in her Forester every 3 years but after driving my 2017 she decided to keep her 2015 for a couple extra years. The dealer said they cannot program out the fake shift points on my 2017. I guess it doesn’t matter since I traded it for my 2018 Impreza. Best thing I could’ve done.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Wife’s 2015 Forester has the real CVT and my 2017 had the fake shifts. We usually traded in her Forester every 3 years but after driving my 2017 she decided to keep her 2015 for a couple extra years. The dealer said they cannot program out the fake shift points on my 2017. I guess it doesn’t matter since I traded it for my 2018 Impreza. Best thing I could’ve done.
But the 2018 Impreza has similar programming of the CVT as the 2017 Forester, right? Or was the Forester worse in that respect?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is no ability to disable...done on purpose, as stated above, based on consumer feedback. I, for one, like the "fake" shifts.
I will get a video up, this is a temporary way to disable it but as soon as you let off of the throttle it reverts to the fake shift points.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wish the shift points can be disabled. I find the 2010 Outback to be much smoother than my 2017 Impreza. The Outback accelerates smoothly without the jerks and lunges in the Impreza. If I want an automatic, I would buy an automatic. I don’t need the automatic feel in a CVT car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A temporary way to disable the fake shifts is to brake launch it (Where you hold the brake and floor the accelerator, then let off the brake), which is something I do not recommend doing. I tried it once on mine, and it quickly revved up to 6,000 and stayed there until I let off of the throttle. TBH It didn't feel any faster than with the fake shift points. Mine also does it while using the eyesight cruise, where I floor it and it stays at 6,000 rpm rather than shifting.
I found a video with that in action, it makes it quite quicker apparently.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It should definitely be faster! Letting the engine run at its optimal torque curves should only improve performance. I bought a CVT - let it have the benefits of being a CVT! Like, at least give me the option to decide how I want it to behave in a settings menu if its just in software. Has anybody figured out how to hack the ECM to disable the stepping?

·
Registered
531 Posts
My parents legacy was like this. Back before they put in the simulated shifts. It was just odd to drive. Which is why subaru did the simulated shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 2018 impreza also. Do you have any problems with the car not shifting down when hitting the gas? Alot of times I have to lift my foot alittle to get the car to shift down not all the time but it's noticeable when mashing on it. I also wanted to ask how your gas pedal feels? Does your pedal move side to side? I'm having issues were when I hit on the gas and then let go the pedal becomes stuck to the left or right and it causes rpms to stay high. And I have to slightly put pressure on the gas pedal in the right way to get it to shift down.. just wanted to hear any thoughts on this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts