5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sick of looking at the stock grill just weeks into ownership. I have an 18 Limited which means chrome, lots of chrome. Since it's not 2005 anymore I threw some plastidip on the chrome and called it good.
For 2 years the plastidip called my chrome grill accents home.
Yes the Subaru sport mesh grill exists, but at $200-300 depending on where you buy it I didn't feel inclined.
So what's a guy to do? Well, DIY of course. Ater a little trial and error with the metal mesh I ordered a sheet of ABS plastic grill material .
The thickness of the mesh.was a problem when mounting it. It would not sit flush and it would not clip into place. After some motivation from a dremmel and some head chopped machine screws to extend the mounting holes I was left with a B/A grill for cheap (painted black of course).
Here we are
MVIMG_20200227_182239.jpg
MVIMG_20200227_182243.jpg
MVIMG_20200227_182248.jpg
MVIMG_20200227_182303.jpg

If it weren't for the stock badge and hella horns I would swear it looks like an option.
Super happy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks great! I'd just been running the idea through my head the other day, but I can't decide on the type of mesh I want to use yet.

I just vinyl wrapped the chrome winglets and the chrome on the fog light covers to try and black out a bit of the chrome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmmm. I'm wondering if the badge looks too much like a clown nose, thoughts?
Maybe it would look better if the colors on the badge were inverted? Red stars on a black background? I think it would go with the red horns because the red on them is like an accent. Something like this:

Where did you get the mesh? You are right - it looks like it could have been an option from the factory.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it would look better if the colors on the badge were inverted? Red stars on a black background? I think it would go with the red horns because the red on them is like an accent. Something like this:

Where did you get the mesh? You are right - it looks like it could have been an option from the factory.
Here is the ABS mesh I used.
I think you are right about inverting the colors. Its a bit much especially with the red horns. I was thinking about getting the Impreza 'I" badge off Subiespeed.
2018_impreza_emblem-10.jpg

I think that will do the trick and be a little more unique as well. Thanks for the input. Let me know if you are interested in this mod and I can upload pics of the backside of the grill to show how its trimmed and how I had to mount it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great! I'd just been running the idea through my head the other day, but I can't decide on the type of mesh I want to use yet.

I just vinyl wrapped the chrome winglets and the chrome on the fog light covers to try and black out a bit of the chrome.
I would recommend going with an ABS plastic mesh. I actually tried it with a steel mesh first and while it was easier to work with, I didn't like the wide open look it gave and it was not very rigid. Putting an emblem on it made it all floppy. The plastic was a B to make fit since it is so much thicker, but it ended up being quite sturdy and looks more quality and less cheap than the steel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is the ABS mesh I used.
I think you are right about inverting the colors. Its a bit much especially with the red horns. I was thinking about getting the Impreza 'I" badge off Subiespeed.

I think that will do the trick and be a little more unique as well. Thanks for the input. Let me know if you are interested in this mod and I can upload pics of the backside of the grill to show how its trimmed and how I had to mount it.
Thanks for the link for the mesh. The Impreza "I" would definitely be unique - would you put one on the back too? I am curious how you did the grill if it is not too much trouble. I am not sure if I have the skill to pull it off, but seeing how people take an idea to creation is inspiring for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks cool, nice work. Before getting my car I read that it has active gate shutters on the front end to open and close with driving conditions (fuel efficiency improvement ?) , did you find any when you modified the upper and lower sections of the bumper ? I haven't looked close enough at mine to see if we have such things or not.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That looks awesome! Usually the homemade grills make the car look like it was in an accident. Very nice work. Yes, I'm a fan of Plasti-Dip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks cool, nice work. Before getting my car I read that it has active gate shutters on the front end to open and close with driving conditions (fuel efficiency improvement ?) , did you find any when you modified the upper and lower sections of the bumper ? I haven't looked close enough at mine to see if we have such things or not.
Yes, they exist behind the lower grill.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Premium Hatchback
12 Posts
Dope man I like it. I have a 20 inch might see how it looks in that spot

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Premium Hatchback
12 Posts
Sorry to ask a million questions. What light bar is that? I like the fitment I might just get one 24

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to ask a million questions. What light bar is that? I like the fitment I might just get one 24
NP, Its just a random one off Amazon. Just search "24in light bar" you'll find loads of em.
If you put the car on ramps you can go in from underneath or if you have skinny wrists you can try to drive a screw in with your hand in the lower grill area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts