5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up the car today and when I asked the dealer about the break in period they said it's not necessary.

Couldn't find details in the manual
So maybe you guys could point me out to the page/section?

It's an S model in Australia.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've picked up the car today and when I asked the dealer about the break in period they said it's not necessary.

Couldn't find details in the manual
So maybe you guys could point me out to the page/section?

It's an S model in Australia.
I would just take it easy to start anyways. There were details in the NA manual saying don?t go over 4K rpm don?t go over 50% throttle and don?t use cruise control for 1000 miles. I don?t have the exact pages but look in the back index for break in period or something along those lines.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sure if manufacturers break in the cars themselves nowadays but I was always told the break in period is because all the fluids haven't properly lubricated the according parts through out the car. So a break in period is to prevent any unwanted damage to parts that are still dry. It could be something that you needed to do in the past and maybe not in today's cars. I drove carefully for my first 1k miles to help break it in. But if I'm wrong, I did it to be better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
232 Posts
New vehicle break in is on page 8-2 of the USA owner manual. It suggests the following steps for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km).

Do not race the engine and do not allow engine speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an emergency.

Do not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed either fast or slow.

Avoid starting suddenly and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency.

Avoid hard braking , except in an emergency.
Clifton

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Engineering Explained you tube chanel is a good video on the topic. Video is "5 Things You Should Never Do In A Brand New Car" and its in a Crosstrek

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time then yes, break it in.

If you are going to trade it after 3 or 4 years then by all means, beat on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. It all makes sense as always did engine break in in the past.

I was confused why dealer suggested that we don't need it.
With the reference to manual I'm going to ask them to explain it as it could had been a deliberate misinformation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts