5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking this up, it's a genuine Subaru part, (its sold at the subaru dealerships here in canada, it's a spoiler made specifically for the 5th gen impreza)

Its just that every single pic I can find of this online is the same, stock angle.. I really would love to see it from behind or even from further away, so I can make my mind up about getting it.

If you have this spoiler, please give me as many shots of it on your car as you can.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the trunk lid spoilers like that, almost like the one on my wr-x but slightly different. I can't say that I've ever seen one though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi! I do not have one (I have a hatch), but I found some pictures on a used car listing. The car is a 2017 if that makes a difference (I do not think it does though). Here is the original listing. Here is a red one.

Edit: Found a black one! :) The sedans look really good - the Impreza is a really good looking car in both hatch and sedan! :D

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! I do not have one (I have a hatch), but I found some pictures on a used car listing. The car is a 2017 if that makes a difference (I do not think it does though). Here is the original listing. Here is a red one.

Edit: Found a black one! :) The sedans look really good - the Impreza is a really good looking car in both hatch and sedan! :D

Hmm.. its hard to tell if it's the same.. it looks a bit smaller in those pics, but maybe it's just a perspective thing

Also, the spoiler is around 470 canadian dollars from the dealership (and that's without install, just the part) so I really hope it's not that tiny, lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
^ Install is probably just sticky tape, you could do it yourself. Pricing and quality is still better than you will get in the aftermarket and hopefully you could order it already painted in the vehicle colour, that would be good if it comes painted ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm.. its hard to tell if it's the same.. it looks a bit smaller in those pics, but maybe it's just a perspective thing

Also, the spoiler is around 470 canadian dollars from the dealership (and that's without install, just the part) so I really hope it's not that tiny, lol
Yeah I am not sure. It definitely looks like the factory spoiler, and it looks like it is not the stock trunk lid, so I am guessing that is it? It is crazy that it is that expensive though. It is about $225 here in the States.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Install is probably just sticky tape, you could do it yourself. Pricing and quality is still better than you will get in the aftermarket and hopefully you could order it already painted in the vehicle colour, that would be good if it comes painted ?
Yea it comes painted and color matched. And this being my first car I am tempted to just get this as it's a safe bet. I would have liked something more flashy and bigger but I have no idea what fits and I might have to replace the trunk lid and stuff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love the sport-tech spoiler on my Impreza, and I have a lip spoiler on my WRX that I also like a lot. Can't go wrong with them, having it pre-painted is going to save you money compared to any aftermarket spoiler. Painting aftermarket spoilers is often more than the cost of the part in many cases.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like the installation is a little more involved than adhesive. Here is a link to the installation instructions. Looks like you have to drill through the trunk lid. To be fair, you would probably have to drill the trunk lid no matter which spoiler you went with (OEM or aftermarket). The other option is to swap a trunk lid from a Sport (or Sport Tech) that is the same color if you like that spoiler better.

I have also attached the instructions in case the link does not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like the installation is a little more involved than adhesive. Here is a link to the installation instructions. Looks like you have to drill through the trunk lid. To be fair, you would probably have to drill the trunk lid no matter which spoiler you went with (OEM or aftermarket). The other option is to swap a trunk lid from a Sport (or Sport Tech) that is the same color if you like that spoiler better.

I have also attached the instructions in case the link does not work.
Thanks man, I got those instructions too from the website. My step dad is gonna help with it so it shouldn't be too bad.

Also when I asked the dealership about the sport tech spoiler (I like it a lot more than the duckbill) they said I might have to replace my truck lid or some torsion bars or something it didnt sound very convincing. Also that part is around 1 grand here in canada ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
yeah the sport tech spoiler makes the trunk much heavier so it comes with stronger springs - torsion bar style springs, which help to keep the trunk open when lifted up. Otherwise it would fall back down without stronger springs. Many vehicle manufacturers do that with larger spoilers. I figured the sport tech spoiler would cost a good buck, the duckbill spoiler is a nice touch though. Many enthusiasts have installed duckbill spoilers in the aftermarket with 3m sticky tape, I know a lot of guys that have done it. The spoiler wont come loose , it can be pulled off by vandals but it shouldn't come loose .

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm thinking of picking this up, it's a genuine Subaru part, (its sold at the subaru dealerships here in canada, it's a spoiler made specifically for the 5th gen impreza)

Its just that every single pic I can find of this online is the same, stock angle.. I really would love to see it from behind or even from further away, so I can make my mind up about getting it.

If you have this spoiler, please give me as many shots of it on your car as you can.

Thank you so much. View attachment 23066
[
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Mid-size car

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks.. but wow that's so underwhelmingly small. I feel stupid for having ordered it now ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
All lip spoilers are small, but they still add a nice look to the vehicle and still better than a bare trunk. My WRX has a mild lip spoiler and I think it looks great, even better than the traditional STi big ass spoiler. I think they round out the rear end nicely and have more of a classy look to them as opposed to in your face.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too would love to remove the original sport spoiler ….but just the patching , repaint and all is well …… need to pay for other things first and then - maybe ? The question is : is it actually at all functional below 100 MPH or any speed at which I would not be marched straight into jail :) If anyone does do it … can you take pictures or rate difficulty level pls …..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts