5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already resolved this issue, but thought I'd post this here for future visibility if anyone else comes across this issue.

I recently purchased a lightly used 2017 ice silver Impreza a premium (was the dealer's loaner). After I finished all paperwork, shook hands, and cut the dealer a check, my girlfriend and I are getting in the car to leave. Girlfriend kept sitting me to unlock the door, which I kept doing, but the outside door handle wouldn't open the door. Oddly, the inside handle still worked. I was not impressed-we had just test driven the car, and the door was fine then.

I had just about every salesman looking at my car (it was labor day, so no one in the service department was working that day). After playing with the handle some more, the inside handle stopped working too. I was thrilled! Now we had to climb over the center console anytime someone wants to sit in the passenger seat. I was in a thought position, because I needed this car to get to work, and this dealership was 1 hour away from my house. Because the service department wouldn't be open until the next day, I decided to take the car home anyways and get it repaired under warranty at the dealership next to my house. They assured me that I would get a loaner car when it is getting repaired.

When I took the car in to the other dealership, they were stern about the fact that loaners are only given out to those with driveability issues. GREAT. Fortunately, I managed to make this work with my schedule, and took the car in on a day my girlfriend did not need to drive anywhere. Fortunately, everything else was streamlined. They fixed the door and got it state MD state inspected in under 4 hours. No idea how they got the door off when the handle wasn't working, but I do not see any cosmetic damage, so I'm very happy now. They said the unlock mechanism came disconnected (the plastic linkage that connects indoor, outdoor, and the door latch rods). Looking at pictures online, this is an incredibly flimsy design, but I don't see too many people complaining.

Since then, I haven't had any of the other issues mentioned on this forum - apart from the cat stuttering at low speeds, which apparently is a deliberate design, albeit a stupid one. Has anyone else had this issue with the door handle?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not yet! Too bad we don't know how they got it open. Must have fished the mechanism from the top - that they knew how to do it easily suggested they may have experience with this. There is a lot more cheap plastic on this car then my 06 Forester, and I sort of dread what that means in the long run.

Subaru only says they designed a stutter into the CVT because that sounds better than admitting the truth.

(Reminds me of the time VW told me my Passat was "designed" to burn a quart of oil every 600 miles. We parted ways long before the diesel debacle.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah if I had gone to pick it up I would have pressed for more details on the process, but my SO isn't interested in this sorry of thing at all, so I could only get so much detail.

If I were to do it, I would attempt the following:
1. For down rear seats, and take passenger seat out the hatch.
2. Disassemble the inside door panel, starting at the rear of the door, near the latch. If you can't get all of the panel off at the front b/c the door is closed, you may get enough leverage to grab and release the door latch.
3. Open door, fix connection (and maybe add some advice to be sure this won't happen again), then reattach panels.

Btw, with regards to the CVT stuttering, have you noticed a difference between when adaptive cruise is on (but not engaged, so the symbol is white and not green) and lane keep assist is off? This is assuming you have eyesight, of course. It may be a placebo, but I feel like the eyesight causes the car to stutter more.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'll have to try those settings (I do have Eyesight). In general, the stuttering is really bad when the engine is still warming up. I'm at about 1500 miles now and it has improved but there are times when it feels like I'm on a bungie cord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts