5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2017 hatch for about a year now, and recently I've noticed that the door seals vibrate or make noise while driving. It's very strange. I've also noticed it in a friends 2015 forester, same noises coming from the door seals. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

·
Banned
417 Posts
To ensure my door seals' integrity I always wipe them down with silicone. They don't squeak, open and close more smoothly, and best is that they don't freeze in the winter. Living in New England taught me that one. Now it's just part of cleaning to me.

That'll eliminate the seals, themselves, as a source of the noise... after making sure during the siliconing that there are no nicks, etc. in the seals. Should that not work spray some of that silicone on the door hinges and locking mechanism. Same reasons, same results.

After that ... ? I'd have to be there. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wiping the seals with rubber-protectent annually is a VERY good way to ensure a good seal and long life. As a bonus, the doors will NEVER freeze shut with ice. (Dont forget to treat the hatch/trunk seal too)

To more specifically address the original question --
1) cut a sheet of paper into a long strip about inch wide.
2) Open window and close the door on your strip of paper (you are outside the vehicle)
3) work the paper around the perimiter of the door-seal checking for 'loose' areas where the seal is not making good contact.

In most cases, you can fix loose areas by forming a spacer of necessarry shape and stuff it under the seal in the affected area. I like to cut up those foam one-use ear-plugs for this purpose. They have just the proper 'springiness' to do the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts