5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to adjust my driver’s side outside mirror far enough out to eliminate my blindspot (and yes, I have Blind Spot Detection). Has anyone noticed that the mirror does not adjust out far enough?

·
Registered
20 Posts
In my Limited, I find the movement enough to eliminate the blindspot...are you particularly short or tall that requires the maximum movement and it's just not enough? I'm 5' 10" in shoes, and my wife is 5' 3" and we have found that we both are happy with one setting that we share. We share the same settings in her Forester as well....And BTW....thank you for even bringing up the Blindspot Elimination issue....there are still people driving around out there who think cars actually have BLINDSPOTS!!! They don't....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I am 5’10” too. I initially searched the internet to see if I could find similar comments about the mirror. I found the identical problem being reported on the Outback but nothing on the Impreza. I guess I will need to have the dealership look at this problem on the first oil change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I found I can't adjust the driver side mirror out far enough. I can practically still see the side of the car. I've pushed on the mirror as well, thinking maybe it was a limitation of the moter. No luck. I'm 6'3".

·
Registered
229 Posts
A quick solution is to get one of those small blind spot mirrors that go on the corner of your side mirror, it will cost you a few bucks and take a couple minutes to install. Although this is something Alfa needs to look into, that's one quick solution for us.

·
Registered
157 Posts
... A quick solution is to get one of those small blind spot mirrors... .
Ditto. Always thought that your side mirror should be adjusted to have the car's flank just out of view. I then use the little stick on blind spot mirrors for a checking just before I make the lane change. Had them for as long as I remember although my favorite style has gone missing. It had no real "frame" around it so you had max mirror for it's size.

Ever notice how some folks just hover out there on your left corner? Is that where the new cars blind spot monitors scan? Something to think about for your own driving habits - or are those folks trying to get a new fender or a new car out of a low speed wreck?

I had heard some noise that folks (in general - not just Subaru) hate em and wanted the feature switched in a way that stuck in "off" even after a restart. Don't have all the latest features on my Premium Impreza 5-door - chosen on purpose and purchased now because I could have a car without all the nanny mechanisms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same here - I'm 5'8" and the mirror kept "bouncing" when I first tried to adjust the angle I normally set my side mirrors at. I have mine angled as far out as they'll go, but I'm starting to get used to checking with the blind spot monitors (although that's kind of like creating a solution for a problem that didn't exist before).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to a service advisor at my local Subaru dealer. This “problem” can’t be fixed because all the Imprezas are like this. (Maybe this also applies to other models; don’t know.)

My service advisor said he has already been through the identical situation with another customer. Initially, they replaced his mirror, but that didn’t fix anything. Then they sat in other new Imprezas and found that all of their mirrors worked the same way.

Looks like we are stuck with it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Talked to a service advisor at my local Subaru dealer. This “problem” can’t be fixed because all the Imprezas are like this. (Maybe this also applies to other models; don’t know.)

My service advisor said he has already been through the identical situation with another customer. Initially, they replaced his mirror, but that didn’t fix anything. Then they sat in other new Imprezas and found that all of their mirrors worked the same way.

Looks like we are stuck with it.
No issues here. You could try manually moving the mirror glass to see if it will adjust to where you want it. You could damage the auto mirror adjuster though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It can be fixed with a new design and a safety recall. Since we've already got 2 of those, why not another?
Unfortunately, manually pushing the mirror still doesn't extend it out enough. And no, this will not damage the power mechanism - the manual says it can be adjusted manually.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I recommend filing a complaint with the NHTSA, as well as writing Subaru.
For those of us with blind spot detection, this is less of an issue. I feel afraid for those who don't have that feature though, as this seems like a major safety oversight and will cause accidents.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It can be fixed with a new design and a safety recall. Since we've already got 2 of those, why not another?
Unfortunately, manually pushing the mirror still doesn't extend it out enough. And no, this will not damage the power mechanism - the manual says it can be adjusted manually.
Oh yeah as if Subaru is going to design a whole new mirror assembly & initiate a safety recall that will cost them millions. I understand it's a safety issue for some people but I would be very surprised if they did do it. I have not had any issues with the mirrors but I am 5'7 & always have the seat almost fully to the rear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Volkswagen just bought my Golf back for $2000 less than what I paid for it over 4 years ago due to the diesel emissions cheat. How many airbags is Takata recalling? Car manufacturers will do what they are legally obligated to and because of our thankfully very consumer-centric safety and environmental regulations.

But, chances are that a settlement or forced recall could result in them sending us all $10 stick-on blind-spot convex mirrors, lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had a thought. The Impreza is sold in countries that have right hand drive - England, Australia , Japan??? Wouldn't a left side mirror unit (or just the reflective part of such a mirror) from such a country be the wide angle "objects in mirror are closer..." type?

Would that get you a wide enough view for the blind spot or would the wide angle distortion be too severe for ya?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 6'1", and have the same problem, all I see is the side of the car. I thought about the adhesive domes/attachments, but there is not a lot of real estate left in it with all the safety & convenience sensors built into the mirror glass itself.
I think it is just a bad design issue, with no real fix. Totally unacceptable on an otherwise outstanding car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same mirror problem. Tech finally admitted his dealership has 3 more blind spot customers. Common denominator is that all of us are over 6'. Have written Subaru and see what happens. I want it in writing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
No problem with the adjustment on mine. I'm 5'10. It is tilted quite a ways away from the car but I don't know how far from the limit I've got it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Two things:

1. why wouldn't you have realized this before purchasing your car?
2. it won the IIHS Safety Pick Plus so the insurance institute doesn't see it as an issue either

Don't count on Subaru doing anything related to this topic as the general population, and many of us on this forum, do not experience what you are experiencing.

Reactions: Scooby
1 - 20 of 37 Posts