5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my info from this post: Model Year 2018 and Newer - How to use hi-beams to...

There's a bunch in there, here's the cliff notes:

Get a 30A relay and splice into wire 1 with 86 and cut and intercept wire 6 with 87/30. 87 goes to headlight end, 30 goes to car. 85 goes to ground. Do that on both headlights and no more DRL.

Here's pictures (note: driver headlight has different wire colors but works the same):

Gesture Font Slope Parallel Rectangle

Wheel White Product Automotive tire Font

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Reactions: CrazyEye

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing this the following happens:
  • DRL no longer runs.
  • Lowbeam on when headlight on.
  • Highbeam on when flash or when turned on.
  • Fog lights turn off with high beam.

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Sport Tech 4-Door, 2020 Legacy GT and 2007 H6 LL Bean
29 Posts
So let me ask, why are you disabling DRL? They've proven themselves the world over. They are mandatory in many countries and some states like Califoronia require them on some highways. On a long straight stretch, you can see cars coming. They are so low, they don't blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
196 Posts
Yes, believe me, we heard it many times. The problem comes when you upgrade to LEDs.

I was looking into disable them because as I said, with LEDs, they will shine at full brightness or strobe like this: Beamtech DRL flicker | 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum (impreza5.com)
With halogens, they dim properly, if you upgrade to LEDs they don't.

The only solution for this is to move the DRLs to the fogs (similar to the sport model), or change the headlights to the official Subaru LED headlight units (VERY expensive), or disable the DRLs.

I just put back the Halogen high beams and returned my LED high beams since I barely used them. My upgraded LED low beams are bright enough.

·
Registered
692 Posts
DRL DISABLE = DISABLED

This is a double-negative.

If the "disable" is disabled... the final result is ENABLED.

Beware: I was a software developer in a previous life and had to deal with this kind of silly logic every day 😊

I much prefer electronics which always follows the laws of physics without goofy double-negatives in the calculations.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So let me ask, why are you disabling DRL? They've proven themselves the world over. They are mandatory in many countries and some states like Califoronia require them on some highways. On a long straight stretch, you can see cars coming. They are so low, they don't blind oncoming drivers.
Because I only want the light on when I turn the light on.

They've proven themselves the world over.
Proven themselves in what, and where, and if such a metric exists does it apply when I'm blinding oncoming cars with drl hotspots? Does that metric consider the tradeoff between dim halogen highbeans? Furthermore, why would multiple DRL opposition resources exist? Contrary to your baseless claim this isn't a decided issue.

some states like Califoronia require them on some highways
There are no DRL requirements anywhere in the US. There are no DRL requirements on any California highways. Daytime headlight requirements require headlights to be on, not for vehicles to be equipped with DRL.

They are so low, they don't blind oncoming drivers.
Pure fantasy. Your use case scenario is not my use case scenario. DRLs housed in halogen reflectors produce two hotspots which blind oncoming traffic even at lowest setting - FACT.

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Sport Tech 4-Door, 2020 Legacy GT and 2007 H6 LL Bean
29 Posts
Daytime running lights have long proven to reduce daytime highway collisions. The US DOT and NHTSA have long recommended their use. They don’t need to be as bright as headlights to be effective. My Outback has halogens that use the primary headlight as their source. Most of the time they burn at a lower intensity. When I turn on the headlights, the same bulbs burn at a normal intensity. They are mandatory in many countries because they work. You may choose to disable them, but that’s never advisable. Newer models integrate LED wrap around designs instead of using the headlight themselves. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daytime running lights have long proven to reduce daytime highway collisions. The US DOT and NHTSA have long recommended their use. They don’t need to be as bright as headlights to be effective. My Outback has halogens that use the primary headlight as their source. Most of the time they burn at a lower intensity. When I turn on the headlights, the same bulbs burn at a normal intensity. They are mandatory in many countries because they work. You may choose to disable them, but that’s never advisable. Newer models integrate LED wrap around designs instead of using the headlight themselves. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029
Your "proof" comes from intentionally and incorrectly extrapolated data from inapplicable studies. Statistics show that the incidence of accidents caused by people not turning on their lights when they should, versus the accidents caused by the problems with DRLs, are about equal, at least in the United States. Given that I turn on my lights during dusk and dawn, like every driver should, any claimed DRL benefit is immediately removed, which doesn't matter to begin with considering that DRLs are "statistically insignificant" in reducing accidents in USA (pg 24).

DRLs have factual detriment in Impreza 5th gen halogen model:
  1. Dim halogen high beam, dimmer than LED low beam
  2. Halogen bulbs brown and decrease emitted light within days
  3. Cannot disable in headlight restricted areas
  4. Blinds and annoys other drivers with LEDs
With these factors considered:
  1. Impreza 2019 using LED highbeams will INCREASE chance of traffic accident due to DRL glare blinding oncoming.
  2. Impreza 2019 using Halogen highbeams in desolate dark areas will have INCREASED chance of accident due to lack of visibility.

Reactions: dmiles2493

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
196 Posts
To be fair, I've seen way more people driving with DRLs at night thinking they have headlights (and taillights) on than I have people forgetting to use their headlights in dusk/dawn.

I have never been "blinded" or annoyed by a DRL halogen though, but with an LED highbeam acting as a DRL it will be blinding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts