5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm Trae, and this will be my thread for my 2020 Impreza Sport. I'm the second owner, it's a 5 speed, and has just over 14k miles on it. This is my 4th Subaru now. First was a 97 Legacy L Wagon, a 2004 WRX Wagon came after that, my wife bought a 2020 Crosstrek brand new, and now we have this.

My 04 WRX Wagon (that you can check out here) blew up, so I've been dailying a 2004 Chevy Tahoe for around 5 years. It had been rusting to pieces, nickel and diming me week after week, and I needed something more reliable and economical, so I figured why not get another Subaru? 馃槀

I probably won't go too crazy throwing aftermarket parts at it. Not that they exist anyway.. but part of the plan was that this will likely be my daughter's first car when she starts driving in the next 5 years.

So far, I've put a very fitting sticker on it.

Replaced the dealer license plate frame with this cool carbon fiber one from SubiSpeed.

Installed the SubiSpeed/OLM wiring harness mod to keep the DRLs on all the time.

And today I installed a cheap 5-fin diffuser from eBay. My buddy Scooby South came over to help with the DRL wiring, and I noticed he had one on his 17 Sport, so here I am copying him. Lol

This is my youngest boy, helping me during the mockup phase.

It's held on by seven 6mm x 1.0 countersunk machine screws and nylock nuts, and the double-sided tape that came with the diffuser.

And here's the finished product!
I think it looks pretty great. Completely changes the look of the rear end, IMHO.

That's all for now. I have more stuff planned for it.
Thanks for looking!

Registered
Lovely! I have the same year and trim Impreza as you, 2020 Sport hatch 5MT lithium red. I too am a 2nd owner Impreza, got it at 11k miles last June, already drove 16k miles, so you got a great low mileage Impreza. Enjoy the manual while it鈥檚 still new!

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's a nice little car. I've been having most of my fun with the MPG meters, and seeing how much better fuel economy this thing gets compared to the Tahoe.

Registered
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's a nice little car. I've been having most of my fun with the MPG meters, and seeing how much better fuel economy this thing gets compared to the Tahoe.
Yeeees, the mpg is like a game to me, and an extreme challenge to getting great fuel economy. I accept that I won't get great fuel economy as a Honda, but I sure can try to get close.

Registered
I've been watching my mpg since the gas price hikes recently. Slowing down to a calm 67-73 on the highway gives me about 36 mpg on average. Gets very thirsty if I hoon around at 85+ mph, but I'll take the happier mpg these days.

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my Molded Innovations badges from SubiMods installed this weekend. First time ever doing this, and goodness gracious it's a PITA getting those badges off. That 3M adhesive does NOT like to stop doing its job.

I think they look pretty good. Cool subtle aesthetic mod.
I've got a few other mods planned for it soon, but one I'm not yet sold on, and the other is a larger job that I've never done before.
Hopefully get to that stuff next weekend. Thanks for looking!

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smoked my taillights last night. I got the 50% vinyl from Crux Moto on Etsy, as I thought the 20% would probably be too dark.
I love smoked tails.. but not when they're so dark that they no longer allow light to pass through. This 50% is awesome.

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was hoping that this would be a bigger post, but one of the big mods I tried this weekend failed miserably. Gained experience, learned a lot, and I'll use that mistake to claim victory next weekend.

So instead, I got another small mod taken care of. Flasher installed on my 3rd brake light. Cheap, effective, and subtly sets the car apart from the rest.

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Take two on the aforementioned failed project.

Spoiler removed.

Sharkfin antenna disconnected and removed.

Drip rail trim removed.

Everything cleaned thoroughly and claybar'ed. On to the main event, my first roof wrap!
VViViD Vinyl Ultra Gloss Piano Black.

With my wife following me closely with a hair dryer, we got back to where I failed last time.

So the reason it failed last time.. I trimmed it ever so slightly too short at the windshield line. Essentially ruined the entire job. I learned from that mistake.

Drip rail trim put back on, and this is where we called it for the night (yesterday).

Got back at it this morning and finished the hatch part with my daughter's help.

Spoiler reinstalled.

Arguably, the hardest part saved for last. The sharkfin antenna.
Following a method I saw on YouTube, I got it done on my first try.

Cut some slits in the wrap where the antenna mounts, folded them under and reinstalled the sharkfin.

Thanks for looking!

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been wondering if this thread is actually supposed to be in the "What did you do to your Subaru today?" subforum.. Mods please move if that's the case, thanks!

Registered
2020 Sport Hatch 5MT
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've had cars with factory tint before, but I've never actually HAD a tint job done. Our local Tint World is under new ownership, so they had this cool little car show / Grand Reopening event last weekend. I was wanting to get my windows tinted anyway, so I stopped in and found out they were offering 25% off of tint services for the event!

I dropped the car off Saturday after work and went to the Mexican restaurant (which kinda sucked) next door for lunch. Hour and a half later, it rolled back out of the shop!

20% SunTek CeramicIR film all the way around. Nothing on the windshield, though I'm kinda considering it now.. Thinking I might just pick up one of those cool Subaru sunshades though.

Then yesterday I debadged my hatch. Been wanting to do it for a while. They peeled off relatively easy with my son holding the heat gun, and I took some Meguiar's and my DA to those spots after I got all of the remaining adhesive off.

More to come soon, thanks for looking!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts