5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling to find anyone who can dyno tune this car in the Bay Area. I;ve reached out to around a dozen tuning shops, including Subaru specific tuning shops, but they all say they can't tune this car, only the wrx.

The Avo Turboworld cat pipe keeps giving me a check engine light and I need to get that tuned out, as well as cleaning up the AFR. Also curios what I would make right now.

I know there's some places down in LA, but considering my cold starts are 100db, not really interested in the idea of testing socal cops that seem to be a lot stricter than the Bay Area cops who are mostly super chill.

If any one knows of any shops in or near the Bay Area, please DM me. Not interested in internet tunes, so please don't recommend that.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
332 Posts
Contact Mike at Rally Sport Automotive. They do open source tuning for these cars. This will likely be a road tune, not dyno. Quality is very similar with final product, you just may need to do some street pulls so the speeds are higher than posted compared to a controlled environment like a dyno. As long as you have a safe area, this is a solid way to go.

If you're wanting dyno numbers, you can always go to a dyno after the tune to get these. Keep in mind, dynos are tools but many think they are for HP numbers. The numbers they provide are specific to each dyno with a correction factor so the results may look great or you will be disappointed.

[email protected]
TUNING

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
568 Posts
Does this make sense to do given CA is coming down hard on the SMOG check and messing with emissions?
state doesn't care about that they just care that people are using parts with carb serial numbers. dont even care about the sniff test just about selling $200 cats for $1200. until they figure out how to get money out of tuners it won't matter plus smog places are not equipped for this action right now.

Reactions: cbidwell91

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
332 Posts
What Subarik said, as long as the car retains emission systems and passes vehicle inspection they would never know it was ever tuned. Our cars won't be as much of the issue, but your higher performance vehicles (GT500 Mustang for example) has issues with overheating the catalysts causing them to melt. Where this applies to our vehicles is long term durability. The emission systems on the cars likely aren't designed for richer mixtures and may throw P0420 code sooner than later. Again, this is a large MAYBE since our cars barely have more power than V-twin motorcycles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do get the P0420 code I have to clear pretty regularly. Hoping I get that tuned out.

I did find a tuner in the Bay Area that can dyno tune this car. So wish me luck. I still have an exhuast leak I'm trying to deal with. Once I can fix that, I'll have it on the dyno, hopefully within the next month or so.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this make sense to do given CA is coming down hard on the SMOG check and messing with emissions?
You now have 8 years on newer cars before you have to get it smogged. So I still get another 4 years before I need to smog it. By then, I'll be at 140k miles or more at this rate. So It'll serve my purpose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts