5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Have you been having problems with android auto? When plugging your device in does android auto not start or some other odd problem? I have a very simple fix for you.

Each device is different so you will have to look up how to enable this on your own device. First look up how to enable Developer options on your phone. Now go to the developer options and enable USB Debugging. Now you shouldn't have as many problems connecting your phone to your car. I found this while looking up this common problem on other cars. So it isn't just subaru.

When connecting your phone to your car make sure you also have file sharing enabled instead of charging only.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
857 Posts
For mine, I just need to make sure the USB connection is in file transfer mode after the connection. Otherwise it can't start Android Auto.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Android Auto failing under Android 8.0 and November 17 security updates

Hello, Have you been having problems with android auto? When plugging your device in does android auto not start or some other odd problem? I have a very simple fix for you.

Each device is different so you will have to look up how to enable this on your own device. First look up how to enable Developer options on your phone. Now go to the developer options and enable USB Debugging. Now you shouldn't have as many problems connecting your phone to your car. I found this while looking up this common problem on other cars. So it isn't just subaru.

When connecting your phone to your car make sure you also have file sharing enabled instead of charging only.

I hope this helps.
For some reason I missed this post and have been working with Android Auto part-time for 5 days!!!! Found your post after locating and testing the same approach found elsewhere this morning and now trying to find a good spot on this forum! Your fix is the fix for me and my 2017 Premium Impreza and a Nexus 5X. I'm gonna start here the next time! My reply maybe will pop your thread up on the recent list.

A bit more detail for folks - I did type this up and hate to waste it.

Android Auto failing to load recently (Nov 2017) on your Android 8.0 phone?
This time it’s not Subaru’s (or the audio head manufacturer’s) fault. Google seems to have “did it” to you apparently after a security update!And I thought at first it was the tire installer trying to fiddle with my TPMS!

Happened to my 2017 Premium Impreza 6.5 inch unit and Nexus 5X after a visit to that snow tire installer and, of course, just as I want to use it to head to the back country of South Western PA with the Boy Scouts. God forsaken hiking trail-head parking lot is apparently 5 miles from any paving and my Garmin was having none of it. But Google Maps to save the day! Troop committee member even gave out the search key word to find it. You gotta love that app.

Symptoms - ghosted Android Auto on the screen after plugging in and un-plugging and re-plugging the USB cable (and phone system re-setting, safe mode, head unit reset - goodbye radio resets again, etc.) . Screen press on the icon, of course, does nothing. It would run when the cable was plugged in, but on the phone screen not the car’s big screen.

Further symptoms for me - Bluetooth started working flawlessly!! Always a silver lining and we get a LOT of clouds here in my part of the USA. Oh, and the Windows computer was not finding the phone data files when I attach the phone to a USB port - gonna make it tougher to load up the grandchild pics now. Different cables - no impact. Phone charges ok. USB entry under phone’s “Settings - Connected devices” is grayed out and says “Not connected” so I can't turn on the USB options there??? Ah Ha Moment - an old phone (not 8.0 and turned off in a drawer hence no updates) still worked Android Auto in the car!!! Did I break my "new" hand-me-down phone?

Solution - turn on USB debugging under developer options. I guess I’ve been promoted in phone-land. Then you can turn on a USB option MTP to enable USB data transfer. There is more, better and how to do all this on the Android Auto User Forum run by Google; it’s not just Subaru either but the whole gamut of car manufactures. Nice video on You-tube “How to enable USB Debugging on Android” at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucs34BkfPB0 although not 8.0 and he wants to transfer photos with a different PTP option and you want MTP I think. Android Auto needs the data transfer enabled on the USB cable to work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts