5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been having issues with Android Auto (yes, I know, it's a problem-filled program...); Sometimes when I hit a bump (and it doesn't have to be a HARD bump, either), my connection to AA disconnects. I unplug, replug, and often (but not always), it reconnects. If it doesn't, it usually works the next time. I've been thinking that probably either the USB-C socket or plug has gone bad (had that happen on the cheap Samsung I had before), and today, switched it to a new plug/cord, put still had the same problem.

I took the old cord inside, plugged it into my laptop and phone, and.....it works perfectly! Could NOT get the connection to falter, short of firmly pulling it out of the phone. Then, I also remembered that my el-cheapo dashcam has been occasionally turning off on my morning commute. I figured that it probably had an internal fault, and being it was a $40 cam that's 4 years old, I assume it's ready for replacement. I have it plugged to the 'cigarette' plug socket.

But now, I'm wondering if maybe it's a problem with some connector inside the dash? Maybe 2 things having issues crop up around the same time is a sign of the same issue? Has this happened to anybody else? give me some idea what to look at?

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
245 Posts
Shared ground being partially corroded? My dashcam sometimes does this too, but it's also about $40 and at least has an internal battery that powers it for at least 5-10 seconds before shutoff, and by then the cigarette lighter reconnects.

I noticed that most issues with Android Auto and CarPlay for me stemmed to the infotainment, turning the car off, waiting a minute, restarting, and resumes as usual.

·
Registered
'17 Base Sedan 5mt
63 Posts
I've had to try out several cords for getting AA to work properly. Two of the cords I tried worked fine for both data and quick charging anywhere else, but AA always had countless issues in my car with them. Finally got a cord from Anker that works flawlessly most of the time, still has a hiccup once every few weeks or so, but that's just AA being AA. Though keep in mind I also use a quick charge data hub, as I can never get my phone to quick charge from the standard USB connection regardless of the cord or even when the phone is off and just charging, and ended up slowly draining my battery anytime AA was running.

·
Registered
309 Posts
"and ended up slowly draining my battery anytime AA was running."
I have had this issue. But not always. Sometimes it happens when I have power saver turned off, sometimes it doesn't. Strange issue. I switched to Anker cables and most but not all of my issues went away. Once in a while I will have to reboot my phone and/or the radio. Samsung phones are strange. You would think when plugged in and power saver on things would still work. I have an intermittent issue where GPS will loose signal if power saver is enabled. But not always. Supposedly it is a Samsung specific issue.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bough a "better" (or at least 'more expensive') 3' USB-to-USB-C cable, and it looks like that's working. My old Amazon Basics cable head was always a bit tight fitting into the case I have on my phone, so maybe that was the big problem. The only issue I have is that the new cable is white, and my car's interior is black.

As far as the dashcam, it sometimes gives me warnings that my micro-SD card needs formatting, so I guess that 5 years has pretty much cooked it. time for a better model....any suggestions?

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch 5spd Manual
212 Posts
Could be cable, could be not. Random disconnects on mine recently as well from the most random bump or tap on the phone.

Although, I never had this before and I think AA updated in the last month or so...

I'll try another cable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't actually have anything to do with the connection itself.

·
Registered
'17 Base Sedan 5mt
63 Posts
As far as the dashcam, it sometimes gives me warnings that my micro-SD card needs formatting, so I guess that 5 years has pretty much cooked it. time for a better model....any suggestions?
Could just be the SD card itself, even high end NVMe SSDs have a limited amount of writes before the cells start to go bad and no longer work, and SD cards have quite a bit less write durability than most SSDs. With enough writes and erases any solid state storage will eventually go bad.

I have a Viofo A129 Plus hardwired in mine, been using for around a year with no issues. Linus Tech Tips recently made a great video reviewing most of the top dashcams, and while the conclusion was that the actual cameras in all dashcams on the market are quite lacking campared to other tech like GoPros and phones, the Viofo was one of the best options, even considering dashcams that cost over 4 times as much. Quality of the camera doesn't really get any better than what the Viofo can offer, even if you get a "4k" model.

At least at the time I purchased mine, the A129 Plus was the only one that could record 60fps while also recording from the rear camera. Everything else that claims to do 60fps could only do 30fps when the rear camera is recording as well. And many of those were only 1080p, the A129 Plus is 2k for the front camera. Also has the ability to add a GPS module for location and speed data. Only thing it really doesn't have that some of $400+ models have is the ability to upload footage via 4g/5g cellular, but keep in mind you also need to pay for a dedicated cellular plan to make that work. Parking mode isn't great, but it can work alright as long as you set it up correctly. It also uses capacitors instead of a battery, so no worries about the battery eventually swelling up and needing to be replaced, especially with extreme heat a car interior typically experiences. Very clean install when hardwired, and that also lets you record when the car is parked. Cuts it off when the battery gets to the voltage you set, think mine is set at 12.4v and never had an issue with battery dieing even with my 5 year old battery. Did the hardwire install myself in about 30 min.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've recently been having issues with Android Auto (yes, I know, it's a problem-filled program...); Sometimes when I hit a bump (and it doesn't have to be a HARD bump, either), my connection to AA disconnects. I unplug, replug, and often (but not always), it reconnects. If it doesn't, it usually works the next time. I've been thinking that probably either the USB-C socket or plug has gone bad (had that happen on the cheap Samsung I had before), and today, switched it to a new plug/cord, put still had the same problem.

I took the old cord inside, plugged it into my laptop and phone, and.....it works perfectly! Could NOT get the connection to falter, short of firmly pulling it out of the phone. Then, I also remembered that my el-cheapo dashcam has been occasionally turning off on my morning commute. I figured that it probably had an internal fault, and being it was a $40 cam that's 4 years old, I assume it's ready for replacement. I have it plugged to the 'cigarette' plug socket.

But now, I'm wondering if maybe it's a problem with some connector inside the dash? Maybe 2 things having issues crop up around the same time is a sign of the same issue? Has this happened to anybody else? give me some idea what to look at?
My AA does it also. AA is a troublesome program. I don't believe it is the USB port . I switched cables. Mine will stop while sitting still so it isn't the connection moving from a bump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was messing around with this to the point I got a Motorola wireless android auto. Still same issue. Noticed some other users had the usb hub replaced and solved the problem. I believe they produced these cars with bad usb ports. Took mine apart pulled the pins that make contact with the usb open more. Not a problem since. There is also a secret menu that shows what devices are conected that may give a clue. For most people I would suggest replacing the usb module. Good luck!

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
245 Posts
I was messing around with this to the point I got a Motorola wireless android auto. Still same issue. Noticed some other users had the usb hub replaced and solved the problem. I believe they produced these cars with bad usb ports. Took mine apart pulled the pins that make contact with the usb open more. Not a problem since. There is also a secret menu that shows what devices are conected that may give a clue. For most people I would suggest replacing the usb module. Good luck!
I may go and take a look at it this weekend between Miata projects.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as the dashcam, it seems the battery inside has cooked itself and no longer holds any charge to speak of. So, if it's off for a couple of days, you need to remap the card...Also, it no longer works when parked. So, I'm ordering a new dashcam; a better unit which uses a capacitor, and I'm wiring it directly to the fuse box.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got the kit today. It requires me to find (1 switched fuse and one constant fuse) to hook up the red and orange wires to. My question to anybody who has done this before, is which fuses are best to connect to? I have a multi-meter, so I'll eventually find a couple, but I'm wondering if one fuse is better than another for this? You know, like, say, avoid using the headlight fuse because it creates a voltage drop when you turn your lights on, or something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts