5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
That's some fine handiwork right there. Clean installation.

Considering where I think you live (NE?) but elsewhere as well, you might benefit from reading this link, maybe not.

I've been on Subaru forums for a long time and the potential issues of AOSs have always prevented me from using one. The above link summarizes the reasons, for despite that blurb being about aircraft use it is no different from automotive uses. Crawford and others have changed designs to better deal with it but with variable success.

My Impreza only gets hot enough to boil crankcase water and fuel dilutions in very hot weather or hard extended driving. Most of the time, even here in WV, my oil temps remain below 212 degrees. A normal AOS that returns the condensed CC gasses to the CC won't work for me... and for a lot more I suspect in the long run.

One with a reservoir that can be drained, however, is still on my radar. I've never been a fan of the PCV since day one. I just took them out of the equation in earlier cars, returning the gasses to atmosphere or the ground. That's a big NO NO in today's green focused world. On the other hand, I'm also one of those who ran catless not too long ago...

Just be vigilant and stay on top of your setup. Meantime, you do good work. Best of luck with your issues going forward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got mine from Crawford, they don't have one specific for 2017+ Impreza 2.0i , but I used to one for 18+ Crosstrek since they have the same engine, but the intake manifold is different, that's why I made my own bracket. They list one for 2012-2016 Impreza, but not sure if it'll work or not.
I wouldn't even begin to know how to make my own bracket. I'm a plug and play kind of guy. I also bought a extended warranty. I'm going to try the techron I think. Otherwise I might be sol

·
Registered
2018 Impreza base. 5MT
29 Posts
That's some fine handiwork right there. Clean installation.

Considering where I think you live (NE?) but elsewhere as well, you might benefit from reading this link, maybe not.

I've been on Subaru forums for a long time and the potential issues of AOSs have always prevented me from using one. The above link summarizes the reasons, for despite that blurb being about aircraft use it is no different from automotive uses. Crawford and others have changed designs to better deal with it but with variable success.

My Impreza only gets hot enough to boil crankcase water and fuel dilutions in very hot weather or hard extended driving. Most of the time, even here in WV, my oil temps remain below 212 degrees. A normal AOS that returns the condensed CC gasses to the CC won't work for me... and for a lot more I suspect in the long run.

One with a reservoir that can be drained, however, is still on my radar. I've never been a fan of the PCV since day one. I just took them out of the equation in earlier cars, returning the gasses to atmosphere or the ground. That's a big NO NO in today's green focused world. On the other hand, I'm also one of those who ran catless not too long ago...

Just be vigilant and stay on top of your setup. Meantime, you do good work. Best of luck with your issues going forward.
Yes, I live in the NE. I've been wondering about what will happen in the winter time with how I did the install. That was an interesting read about separators, thanks. I'm always trying to learn more about everything. Haha. I have thought about the idea of swapping that one out for one that can run coolant through it, or maybe use something like a battery heater blanket to keep from freezing. I'll have to tap in a temp gauge and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forum, and a new Subaru owner. Just picked up a 2018 Impreza Sport in manual last Monday. I've really been enjoying it so far and I have about ~700 miles on it. I know I'm still in the break in period but I've been having a kind of wierd issue, I don't know if I should take it back to the dealership or something, this is also my first brand new car. It seems like in second and third gear specifically, but sometime fourth, I'll get what kind of feels like the engine lugging, but all the way up to 4000 rpm. It's hard to explain it but I would say its similar to accelerating on a motorcycle that has a dirty carburetor. It accelerates, then almost like, skips for a second? It just makes for an overall un-smooth acceleration and I'm wondering if maybe I have something wrong? Should I bring it back, or maybe just try higher octane fuel?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Perhaps you have resolved your problem already. I don't know. I have a 2017 Impreza Limited that has had a stumbling problem that has just been resolved. Just had a recall installed last week that involved reprogramming of the ECM (electronic control module) to correct a ignition coil problem. However, I think there is much more involved than what is explained. The recall is called WUQ02. Once reprogrammed all the stumbling and surging stopped. Power is smooth in both Manual and Automatic transmission modes.
Hope this helps,
Tomflyer37

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Perhaps you have resolved your problem already. I don't know. I have a 2017 Impreza Limited that has had a stumbling problem that has just been resolved. Just had a recall installed last week that involved reprogramming of the ECM (electronic control module) to correct a ignition coil problem. However, I think there is much more involved than what is explained. The recall is called WUQ02. Once reprogrammed all the stumbling and surging stopped. Power is smooth in both Manual and Automatic transmission modes.
Hope this helps,
Tomflyer37
Yeah I'm sure one of the two recent recalls would have solved the issue for me as well, however I traded in the vehicle after spending 8 months trying to fix the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hope this helps,
Tomflyer37
My car is a 5 speed. It's since either gone away or I've not noticed it. I just keep it in 4th gear up slight hills a little longer than I would've expected. I don't even think about it consciously. It's become a driving habit for me... I do miss my 6 speed TDI Jetta. Best shifting car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza base. 5MT
29 Posts
Mine is at the dealership right now for recall. Picking it up this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed it'll be better. I did notice that the problem is less noticable now that it's cold out. I'll report back after my road trip this weekend.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza base. 5MT
29 Posts
So far I've put 600 miles on the car since having the ecm reprogram recall last week. I've noticed, that the throttle doesn't seem to be quite as touchy, and the engine accelerates smoother through the entire rpm range. I still need to get the pcv recall done, but dealer said they don't have the parts yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has also been running much better since the latest recalls. I've put several hundred miles on since then and seems good. BUT, mine (base 5mt) always ran worse in warmer weather so we will see in the spring. I am cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza base. 5MT
29 Posts
Got an update for all of you. Had 3 recalls done; pcv valve, ecm program, and brake hoses. Car ran fantastic all winter long. Last week I had the a/c on coming home from work on the highway. Turned off the a/c when on the back roads, and problem showed up. It was 86 degrees outside. I guess the problem isn't fixed. I'm frustrated, mostly because I really like this car for commuting, but this stumble really gets under my skin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forum, and a new Subaru owner. Just picked up a 2018 Impreza Sport in manual last Monday. I've really been enjoying it so far and I have about ~700 miles on it. I know I'm still in the break in period but I've been having a kind of wierd issue, I don't know if I should take it back to the dealership or something, this is also my first brand new car. It seems like in second and third gear specifically, but sometime fourth, I'll get what kind of feels like the engine lugging, but all the way up to 4000 rpm. It's hard to explain it but I would say its similar to accelerating on a motorcycle that has a dirty carburetor. It accelerates, then almost like, skips for a second? It just makes for an overall un-smooth acceleration and I'm wondering if maybe I have something wrong? Should I bring it back, or maybe just try higher octane fuel?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
My car has 5500 miles on it and it started lugging at 2-3k rpm, its a 5MT and the motor has even started knocking on start up, hoping that I'm not the only one experiencing the knocking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got an update for all of you. Had 3 recalls done; pcv valve, ecm program, and brake hoses. Car ran fantastic all winter long. Last week I had the a/c on coming home from work on the highway. Turned off the a/c when on the back roads, and problem showed up. It was 86 degrees outside. I guess the problem isn't fixed. I'm frustrated, mostly because I really like this car for commuting, but this stumble really gets under my skin.
I’ve been driving with this issue for almost a year and it’s honestly one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever had to deal with. I have a 2018 manual transmission hatchback. I’ve kept up to date on my oil changes. I’ve taken it to the dealer several times just to hear that it’s running normal. And all my recalls have been completed. I think the hardest part about diagnosing this problem is that it’s impossible to replicate the stumble unless it’s a really hot day. Unfortunately for me I live in Southern California, where sometimes a cold day is 70 degrees. That being said, I experience the engine stumble almost every time I drive it for more than 25 minutes.

I have no idea what to do at this point. I feel I’ve exhausted all options. I saw a thread on the Crosstrek XV forum discussing this issue and had a theory that the knock sensor was the culprit. Anybody think that’s plausible?

Another thing I’ve noticed is that when the stumble is REALLY bad, getting into first gear is really hard. In addition to this, no matter how much throttle I give when engaging first gear the Rpms drop. There is ZERO throttle response. It feels like a bog. At first I thought it was just me being a buffoon, dropping the clutch too early. But after driving it for months now, I can safely say it’s not user error.

And before I say this next part yeah yeah I know launching your car is terrible for literally everything under the hood, but this stumble issue makes it IMPOSSIBLE to “get up and go” when moving from a stop. Even if I floor the accelerator, no power will come when trying to engage first gear. YES, I know that will burn my clutch, but I’m attempting to explain the RPM drop when trying to quickly move from a stop.

And to anyone reading this who’s experiencing the same issue; YOURE NOT CRAZY. The stumble is there, the engine is weaker than you remember. There is a problem with your (my) car.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Is the RPM this happens at the same as the title of this thread? Is it at just above 2500 RPM? A few hundred above that is where there should be a power increase from the variable value timing doing its thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the RPM this happens at the same as the title of this thread? Is it at just above 2500 RPM? A few hundred above that is where there should be a power increase from the variable value timing doing its thing.
It happens in the window of 2000-3000 rpm. Typically happens around 2500

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
117 Posts
It happens in the window of 2000-3000 rpm. Typically happens around 2500
I too had the lugging problem until one of the recalls and they reflashed the ECU. Hasn't happened again and I've put a lot of miles in since then. If you can't get the dealership to acknowledge it, maybe logging the OBD/ECU would be worth the cost? You could then show them that. Also, bring it to Subaru of America's attention if you haven't already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too had the lugging problem until one of the recalls and they reflashed the ECU. Hasn't happened again and I've put a lot of miles in since then. If you can't get the dealership to acknowledge it, maybe logging the OBD/ECU would be worth the cost? You could then show them that. Also, bring it to Subaru of America's attention if you haven't already.
Damn man I’m sorry I lost you there. What are you suggesting I do? I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Other than the Subaru of America part. I’ve already tried that route unfortunately.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Wow can't believe this thread is still going. Glad I traded in my Impreza when I did. I doubt Subaru Of America will help in this case though. Back when I owned my Impreza I had several phone calls with them, they refused to budge on the issue saying it was my fault as I had a trailer hitch mounted to the vehicle (for use with a bike rack) and they said that this hitch was likely to culprit of my engine problems.

Clearly SOA don't value their customers time, and think we must be idiots. I can't tell you what a relief it's been to hop in my CR-V and not have to worry about crap like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow can't believe this thread is still going. Glad I traded in my Impreza when I did. I doubt Subaru Of America will help in this case though. Back when I owned my Impreza I had several phone calls with them, they refused to budge on the issue saying it was my fault as I had a trailer hitch mounted to the vehicle (for use with a bike rack) and they said that this hitch was likely to culprit of my engine problems.

Clearly SOA don't value their customers time, and think we must be idiots. I can't tell you what a relief it's been to hop in my CR-V and not have to worry about crap like this.
Way to make me feel good about my current situation, jackass. HAHAHAHA only kidding, I get what you’re saying.

It’s really disappointing cause I’m only 19 and this is my very first car. Trading it in won’t get me enough for a car of this quality. Not to mention, I really like the car when it runs well!

At this point I just want to solve this BS so I can have a car that isn’t a danger/nuisance to me.

PS: Did the trailer hitch actually work? That’s nuts if it did.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Way to make me feel good about my current situation, jackass. HAHAHAHA only kidding, I get what you’re saying.

It’s really disappointing cause I’m only 19 and this is my very first car. Trading it in won’t get me enough for a car of this quality. Not to mention, I really like the car when it runs well!

At this point I just want to solve this BS so I can have a car that isn’t a danger/nuisance to me.

PS: Did the trailer hitch actually work? That’s nuts if it did.
Yeah, I had to just take the hit on the negative equity. I was surprised that I got more in trade for my Impreza than I was expecting though.

And no, the trailer hitch unsurprisingly has no effect on how the engine works, it was the same before and after installing it. I was just completely astonished that SOA wanted to suggest that it could be the reason for this issue at all, clearly they are stretching and really don't care that much.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts