5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up buying the intake manifold carbon cleaning tool so now every oil change the oil girl gets the engine maintenance kit. This kit includes fuel tank additive, throttle body cleaner and upper engine intake cleaner.
Hood Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design Automotive air manifold
Rectangle Wood Font Electric blue Flooring

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exciting! Let us know how it went.
I have 17k miles on the car and I've done it every oil change to keep up on it. So far the car seems to run nice and smooth.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you récord a video doing The process ?
Yeah I can do that. I'll do it when I get back home. They are sending me to Canada for work for the next couple days.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fwiw, I asked my dealer (San Jose, CA) at my last service about doing top engine cleaning, and they told me they perform that as part of the 60K miles service.

If I wanted to do a top engine clean prior to 60K miles service, they offer a "Fuel decarb optimizer service" that includes top engine cleaning, for $399.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fwiw, I asked my dealer (San Jose, CA) at my last service about doing top engine cleaning, and they told me they perform that as part of the 60K miles service.

If I wanted to do a top engine clean prior to 60K miles service, they offer a "Fuel decarb optimizer service" that includes top engine cleaning, for $399.
My dealer performed the top engine service which includes the maintenance pack I included for $180. I’ve since bought the tool for $75, and the kit is roughly $30 and I now do it myself. Imo, I’ve torn down enough low mileage FA/FB motors to say with confidence that doing your first intake cleaning at 60k is too long. The fact the dealer has included it in there 60k is great, but I’d recommend every 18k at the most.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My dealer performed the top engine service which includes the maintenance pack I included for $180. I’ve since bought the tool for $75, and the kit is roughly $30 and I now do it myself. Imo, I’ve torn down enough low mileage FA/FB motors to say with confidence that doing your first intake cleaning at 60k is too long. The fact the dealer has included it in there 60k is great, but I’d recommend every 18k at the most.
Is an oil change required immediately after doing top engine cleaning (and if so, is that included in your dealer's $180 price)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
looking forward to updates on this! the kit is for the intake valves right? I feel like I've seen very little about that or carbon build up for the F series motors...Aside from the brz having dual injection I don't know why carbon build up hasn't been a larger issue for the Subaru GDI line up.

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is an oil change required immediately after doing top engine cleaning (and if so, is that included in your dealer's $180 price)?
I always change oil after I do this service on my own vehicle. Just a good practice IMO.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
183 Posts
I always change oil after I do this service on my own vehicle. Just a good practice IMO.
Do you have the part number for the carbon cleaning tool that works with this kit? I believe there are 2 different tools cause the PEA cleaner bottle size changed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have the part number for the carbon cleaning tool that works with this kit? I believe there are 2 different tools cause the PEA cleaner bottle size changed.
I'll do you one even better. Here is the TSB discussing the entire cleaning process, tools, part numbers, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the post! I've checked a couple of online retailers and it appears that kit has been discontinued?? Checked with my local dealership and he says they buy the material in bulk from Subaru. :confused:
Font Rectangle Screenshot Brand Number

1 - 14 of 14 Posts