5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been test driving several cars trying to decide on one. I started with Impreza initially and then tested others. Noticed when I came back a second time to test drive Impreza that it seems quite a bit more noisy in the cabin from the engine more than I recall the first time. Is this because of the CVT, boxer engine or both? It was a bit annoying. I also tested the Sport this time instead of the Limited because I liked the styling (don't need roof rails and like the cloth seats). Can anyone share their thoughts on this? I really wish it did not have a CVT (although I've heard Subaru CVTs are better than most and/or I can go manual but drive mostly city so don't want the constant shifting). I test drove the Mazda 3 and was quite impressed but not with the looks of it as much, etc. (Subaru AWD nice and styling) but the ride was great and I do not recall the engine being as loud (does not have a CVT).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Compared to my Diesel Golf, the Impreza is whisper quiet :) The only thing I notice is when going up an incline or something, the Impreza has to really rev up to higher RPMs because it doesn't have the low-end torque.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of noise where you hearing?
Overall general noise level seemed louder compared to other cars tested such as Mazda 3 GT. Can someone explain what would cause difference in same class of cars having high revs vs low as for normal driving conditions; meaning not flooring it?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Compared to other vehicles, the Impreza is actually very quiet in general. The only thing I can hear when driving is the road noise but that's what the radio is for. I have noticed when slowing down to a complete stop there's a noise from either the CVT or the drive shaft but again it's a new vehicle. Needs time to be broken in. According to Subaru the CVT in these cars are the best out there for gas mileage and long term ownership. Can't beat Subaru AWD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can someone explain what would cause difference in same class of cars having high revs vs low as for normal driving conditions; meaning not flooring it?
I think it basically comes down to torque curves. Engines that have high torque, and especially high torque at low RPMs don't need to rev up as much to, say, maintain speeds going up a hill. Usually higher low-end torque is achieved with turbochargers.

2017 Examples:
(Non-Turbo)
Impreza: 148 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm
Mazda 3: 150 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm
Elantra (2.0L non-turbo): 132 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

(Turbo)
Golf TSI: 199 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm
Golf GTI: 258 lb-ft @ 1,500 rpm
Civic CVT: 162 lb-ft @ 1,700 rpm
Elantra (1.6L turbo): 195 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm

So, turbos seem to help low-rpm torque quite a bit, but they also have their own issues, such as turbo lag which can create a delayed response feeling.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have some road noise that I think comes from the tires (Continental TrueContacts) rather than the engine or CVT.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have some road noise that I think comes from the tires (Continental TrueContacts) rather than the engine or CVT.
After many hrs of travelling I too heard tire noise on a concrete stretch of highway (Conti. Pro Contacts)
More from the right rear
Have not heard the noise since
It's not the engine or cvt
Notice the tires and Impreza are stamped (1-17)

Hear is something to read

https://www.thoughtco.com/tire-noise-3234473

·
Registered
24 Posts
I noticed that the engine is quite noisy, especially when I first start it. So much so that my wife actually commented on it as well (she is fairly oblivious to most mechanical "workings" as a rule :grin2:). Other than that I find it fairly quiet to drive.

Either I'm getting used to it, or it's a function of the engine breaking in, but I think it's gotten quieter since it's passed 1000km on the odometer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only noise I get is slight valve train clatter because of sitting for long periods
Should go away in a few seconds

·
Registered
200 Posts
I noticed that the engine is quite noisy, especially when I first start it. So much so that my wife actually commented on it as well (she is fairly oblivious to most mechanical "workings" as a rule :grin2:). Other than that I find it fairly quiet to drive.

Either I'm getting used to it, or it's a function of the engine breaking in, but I think it's gotten quieter since it's passed 1000km on the odometer.
The only noise I get is a slight valve train clatter because of sitting too long

·
Registered
730 Posts
Now that the weather has gotten warmer, I have noticed more tire noise. Rolling on the stock 18" Yokohama's, but it doesn't bother me one bit. Every time I drive this car, I'm really glad I got the Impreza. No regrets here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only noise I get is a slight valve train clatter because of sitting too long
Are you referring to a short rattling noise from the engine bay? It happens when I start the car in the morning or during the first start after about 12 hour after the last drive.

Feedback to the dealer but they did not have an answer so have to wait for reply from Subaru Japan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts