5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
While on a major highway, the engine shutdown on my wife’s 2017 Impreza. Had it towed home (almost 300 miles) to sort out the problem. It has 160,000 miles of which 95% is highway/freeway.
After sitting for a couple of days, with a freshly charged battery it started fairly quickly and drove it a couple of hundred feet before it began to sputter. I pulled codes, erased, started it again and pulled codes. Each time the same codes p0087,p1604,p2200 and p2400.

I had thought a good first step would be to change the fuel filter. I then read that depending on the year there is a in tank fuel pump recall or class action lawsuit.

I just want to fix the problem but am not sure what tests to perform to narrow down the problem. Would really appreciate some guidance.
Thanks BR

· Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
582 Posts
Hello everyone,
While on a major highway, the engine shutdown on my wife’s 2017 Impreza. Had it towed home (almost 300 miles) to sort out the problem. It has 160,000 miles of which 95% is highway/freeway.
After sitting for a couple of days, with a freshly charged battery it started fairly quickly and drove it a couple of hundred feet before it began to sputter. I pulled codes, erased, started it again and pulled codes. Each time the same codes p0087,p1604,p2200 and p2400.

I had thought a good first step would be to change the fuel filter. I then read that depending on the year there is a in tank fuel pump recall or class action lawsuit.

I just want to fix the problem but am not sure what tests to perform to narrow down the problem. Would really appreciate some guidance.
Thanks BR
First thing I'd do is check and see if the fuel pump is working. You can disconnect the fuel supply line and put it into a jug and cycle the key. If no fuel comes out, you have a pump issue. If fuel does come out then you can look into other issues with the system (ie: injectors, pressure sensor, etc.)

· Registered
2017 Impreza Touring 5dr
241 Posts
Your codes imply fuel pump issues as well, from fuel pressure low to a nox spike and evap pressure low ect wouldn't be a bad place to look. also check your battery terminals , I had a different car loose its negative clamp that acted like yours as well . gl

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the reply’s
There must be some level of fuel being pumped or it would not start and run at idle. Make sense to check the pressure? I have a live data button on my scanner. Any values in live data that would pin point it?
I would like to look and or change the fuel filter, can’t find any info.
Guess I will run a vin check to see if there is an open recall.
Thank you BR

· Registered
354 Posts
I've had a few recalls. First was the ECU update regarding the coils. Second was the actual coil replacement. Third was the fuel pump. Next is the headlights. I don't think I missed any. I have a '19.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
I went to my Subaru and looked up the recalls, I've attached what mine says.
Recall and Service Campaign History

WRG21 - "IMPREZA Fuel Pump Impeller Failure"
Type: Recall | Service Campaign: WRG21 | NHTSA Campaign: 21V-587000
Completed
Recall Date: July 29, 2021
Description
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a new safety recall for certain 2019-2020 model year Ascent, 2018-2019 model year BRZ, 2018 model year Forester (turbo), 2018-2020 model year Impreza, 2018-2020 model year Legacy, 2018-2020 model year Outback, and 2018-2019 model year WRX vehicles in which the fuel pump may become inoperative.

Safety Risk
The affected vehicles may be equipped with a low pressure fuel pump produced during a specific timeframe that may include an impeller which has been manufactured with a lower density. Under certain conditions, the lower density fuel pump impeller may deform and interfere with the body of the fuel pump, potentially causing the low pressure fuel pump to become inoperative. If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
For all of the potentially affected vehicles, Subaru dealers will replace the low pressure fuel pump with an improved part at no cost.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem fixed. First I pulled the in tank pump assembly with plans to replace the pump and filter. Tried to find the parts from other than the dealer and when trying to buy them at my local NAPA, I was told that mine looked fine and to continue diagnoses. My research pointed to the high pressure pump which I purchased used from a rear ended 18k mile car for $50.00. Removal and replacement an easy job that took about 2 hrs with me really taking my time. Changed the oil and filter because fuel can get passed through the bad pump into the engine.
Other than a permanent low rail pressure code (which I understand can take some time to self erase), there are no codes and seems to drive fine.
Thanks for the help.
BR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts