5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, they call me DP.

I bought my 2020 Impreza Premium Sedan because it was the only one in stock at the dealership within my price range.

This is my first brand new car as I’ve driven secondhand beaters since high school. I really wanted something with aftermarket potential, but knew id be limited in that looking at brand new cars, regardless of manufacturer, ESPECIALLY since so many cars are being redesigned entirely as of late. So I went with a Subaru knowing that within time there will be some cool cosmetics, if nothing else, that can be done to it.

I’m really excited to see how this global platform may or may not open up customization potential. I imagine it’d be sweet to set an FA20 or FA24 in this car with some of the typical drivetrain swap headaches eliminated.

I’m hoping there’ll be an increase in cross-compatibility in the coming years, but who knows what’ll actually come of it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats on your 1st new car. I don't forsee too many engine swaps when you can buy a WRX for a few thousand more and it will be a proven and warrantied setup. You certainly can do cosmetic and suspension stuff. You got the best color.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see where you’re coming from with the idea that simply buying a WRX is going to be the best performance upgrade for this car, lo

There are a lot of folks seeking power from this chassis just because of the unique character it will add. Those with deep pockets shall prosper.

I’m really excited to see how this global platform grows and adapts though regardless of my opinion of what I want it to be 👀

·
Registered
2018 5D Standard Automatic
44 Posts
I prefer lapis blue myself but you got what are probably the best stock rims, I've seen those 16 inchers without the black paint and boy howdy are they hideous. I wouldn't go to 17 or 18 inch rims personally, given how easy it can be to damage a rim running tires as thin as those need on these cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on your first new car and welcome to forum. I bought my car because price range and is the cheapest AWD out there. I love the look of hatchbacks and car is lightweight and also great handling. But I like your color though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As of right now, the WRX is on a different platform, so there is no way to 'turn your Impreza into a WRX'. At some point in the future, the WRX might be on the same platform, at which time it will be theoretically possible to do so, if you don't mind spending about $20k more than the cost of a WRX for some [email protected]$$ed imitation of one...

Years ago, the Camaro SS was the hot version, one which cost about twice the price of a base Camaro. Today, it seems that about half of the remaining Camaros of that period are SS models, even though most of them didn't start out as so. These "SS look-a-likes" generally don't sell for much more than the price of a base Camaro, though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As of right now, the WRX is on a different platform, so there is no way to 'turn your Impreza into a WRX'. At some point in the future, the WRX might be on the same platform, at which time it will be theoretically possible to do so, if you don't mind spending about $20k more than the cost of a WRX for some [email protected]$$ed imitation of one...
I appreciate this insight, but I’m a little annoyed by the tone of this response. This response gets repeated almost any time someone brings up modifying this gen Impreza in a way that would likely make more power.

Where exactly did this “turn your Impreza into a WRX” narrative come from? I certainly didn’t even mention the WRX. You can generalize it like that if you want, but I disagree. let me explain:

I’ll start by saying one thing we are on the same page about, and it’s simple. You want a WRX? Buy a WRX.

However, I really hate this generalization, where if I mention a powertrain swap in the new Impreza, folks in this community suddenly reference “turning your Impreza into a WRX” And the topic is quickly shut down there.

I’m talking about hypotheticals. Something you’d do if you had money, time, and an Impreza to spare. Like you swap in an FA20 just to say you did it. To have the a more unique Gen 5 Impreza on the road than anyone else.

To reiterate, what I described is fundamentally different then “turning an impreza into a WRX”

if I buy a Toyota Echo and swap in a Toyota Highlander powertrain, you wouldn’t say I’m trying to “turn my Echo into a Highlander”... But you’d probably agree that I’m about to have the most badass Echo on the road.

Thats where my curiosities come from.
Do I wish the 5th gen Impreza had more power stock? Yes. Would I enjoy a Subaru that made more power? Probably, but I’m happy with my Impreza.

Would I ever swap an FA24 into my Impreza? Probably not. Would I like to fantasize about how awesome that would be to brag about? Without a doubt. Way cooler than just buying and driving the same WRX everyone else is already driving.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi, they call me DP.
View attachment 24123
View attachment 24124 I bought my 2020 Impreza Premium Sedan because it was the only one in stock at the dealership within my price range.

This is my first brand new car as I’ve driven secondhand beaters since high school. I really wanted something with aftermarket potential, but knew id be limited in that looking at brand new cars, regardless of manufacturer, ESPECIALLY since so many cars are being redesigned entirely as of late. So I went with a Subaru knowing that within time there will be some cool cosmetics, if nothing else, that can be done to it.

I’m really excited to see how this global platform may or may not open up customization potential. I imagine it’d be sweet to set an FA20 or FA24 in this car with some of the typical drivetrain swap headaches eliminated.

I’m hoping there’ll be an increase in cross-compatibility in the coming years, but who knows what’ll actually come of it.
Also keep in mind that with AWD cars its recommended in most cases to replace all 4 tires at the same time, 16 inch tires are Much cheaper than 18.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
LOL that "entry level" car has a LOT going for it! Congrats!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think your best bet (if you want performance mods) would be to focus on handling as opposed to power. These babies are fun in the bends.

But, it's your car and if you want to throw money at it and make it a project - it's a free country. Love the wheels!

·
Registered
2018 5D Standard Automatic
44 Posts
I appreciate this insight, but I’m a little annoyed by the tone of this response. This response gets repeated almost any time someone brings up modifying this gen Impreza in a way that would likely make more power.
You're right, but if your actually curious its mostly a stigma that stems from the past few decades of Subaru culture. Before the 5th gen, a lot of people in america bought an Impreza to turn it into a home-made WRX, most who just wanted a basic AWD sedan bought a Legacy, so there seems to be an in-build assumption that if you have an Impreza and plan to modify it, you're probably looking for a WRX.

Personally I just got some new aluminum rims, since I bought mine used with a cheap set of after-market steelies that were all bent within 3 months. And some mudflaps since I regularly drive over gravel and dirt roads at work. But this car is plenty agile for my needs, never understood the people who called it slow, so now I'm just crossing my fingers that the car lasts as long as I was projecting when I bought it 😅

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
You're right, but if your actually curious its mostly a stigma that stems from the past few decades of Subaru culture.
You seem to be really concerned with what other people are saying and even thinking. You just bought a beautiful car, why are you stressing so much regarding what other people think and/or say?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL that "entry level" car has a LOT going for it! Congrats!
I couldn’t be happier, really

I think your best bet (if you want performance mods) would be to focus on handling as opposed to power. These babies are fun in the bends.
I wanna go a more cosmetic route and keep it handling mostly the way it already does. Could tighten up the body roll a tad bit more maybe, but it’s not like the body roll is bad at all.
I think air cups would be a cool addition. I’ve bottomed out on a few speed bumps already.

You're right, but if your actually curious its mostly a stigma that stems from the past few decades of Subaru culture. Before the 5th gen, a lot of people in america bought an Impreza to turn it into a home-made WRX, most who just wanted a basic AWD sedan bought a Legacy, so there seems to be an in-build assumption that if you have an Impreza and plan to modify it, you're probably looking for a WRX.
This explains a lot, I was frustrated that so many threads ended with the “Buy a WRX” narrative. i like to get creative and let my imagination run wild, feasible or not. I like those discussions, and also it doesn’t help I’ve always been really into Gambler 500 culture - with the right tools, any car can be exactly what you want it to be. Even if you could just go out and buy a brand new car that does the same thing, it’s not as satisfying of an idea!

You seem to be really concerned with what other people are saying and even thinking. You just bought a beautiful car, why are you stressing so much regarding what other people think and/or say?
Frankly, discussions are no fun without opposing ideas! I believe there’s a multitude of reasons to respond passionately to others’ thoughts and feelings.

On this token, we’re speaking in the general realm of personalizing our cars.

When personalizing something as special as a new car, it’s important to a lot of us to personalize it to our own tastes and not just be a trend follower.

But nobody ever mentions that there’s nothing wrong with being a trend follower also. Or doing customizations that appeal to others, or alternatively doing customizations that disgust others. Some people take pride in how others perceive them, which inherently is not a bad thing. It’s when one becomes narcissistic and closed-minded that we should be concerned about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts