5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed excessive condensation on the inside of their car, particularly the windshield? I came out to my car this morning and there was so much condensation that it was actually dripping from the windshield and I had to paper towel it off. Also seemed like at least my driver's side floor mat was pretty wet. Strange thing is that it didn't rain yesterday or last night, and I had driven around for about 20-30 mins with the windows down and it was only mild temperature and humidity. The only time I've seen something like this before was on my old 2006 Volvo S40 and it was due to the garbage sunroof seal that leaked water into the cabin, do you think it's possible that my sunroof is already leaking?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my back window when I slept in the car one night, never noticed it on the windshield. No windows were cracked open? not sure about the sunroof causing the windshield to get condensation, but I know it would cause the floor to be wet, a 97 Saturn I had the floor rotted out because of a bad sunroof seal, but never got condensation on the windshield unless I left a window open.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed the same thing on my back window when I slept in the car one night, never noticed it on the windshield. No windows were cracked open? not sure about the sunroof causing the windshield to get condensation, but I know it would cause the floor to be wet, a 97 Saturn I had the floor rotted out because of a bad sunroof seal, but never got condensation on the windshield unless I left a window open.
Yeah I doublechecked my windows and sunroof when I got in the car and they we are tight. I've got the windows cracked now to let the sun evap all the remaining moisture in the car and I took the mat out to dry. I really hope it's not the sunroof seal though, I hate chasing sunroof issues.

·
Administrator
1,828 Posts
I haven't seen anyone complain about this problem here or on NASIOC. I would say check your sunroof gaskets and take a wetvac and vacuum out the drain holes around the sunroof they might be clogged with something.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My car seems to fog up quite a bit regardless of what I do. I've got the same problem but it isn't as severe as yours. I'll keep a water absorber in the car for the time being.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had similar issue about hundred years ago (and in a different galaxy). It was a heater core leaking. You would notice the sweet smell of ethylene glycol so I hope it isn't your case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had similar issue about hundred years ago (and in a different galaxy). It was a heater core leaking. You would notice the sweet smell of ethylene glycol so I hope it isn't your case.
Nah I thought it might be coolant or something else like that, and I even directly smelled the paper towels too but it didn't have any smell at all, so it must have been plain old water.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone else noticed excessive condensation on the inside of their car, particularly the windshield? I came out to my car this morning and there was so much condensation that it was actually dripping from the windshield and I had to paper towel it off. Also seemed like at least my driver's side floor mat was pretty wet. Strange thing is that it didn't rain yesterday or last night, and I had driven around for about 20-30 mins with the windows down and it was only mild temperature and humidity. The only time I've seen something like this before was on my old 2006 Volvo S40 and it was due to the garbage sunroof seal that leaked water into the cabin, do you think it's possible that my sunroof is already leaking?
Have you (or anyone else) ever applied a 'protectant' on the dashboard? I am asking because your complaint is very common after people used some kind protectant or cleaning product on the interior of their vehicle. A sunny day heats up the dashboard and the product outgasses leaving a coating on the inside of the windshield. This coating can be VERY difficult to remove if it is silicone-based.

This is the very reason it is HIGHLY recommended to use only damp cloth to wipe interior of vehicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you (or anyone else) ever applied a 'protectant' on the dashboard? I am asking because your complaint is very common after people used some kind protectant or cleaning product on the interior of their vehicle. A sunny day heats up the dashboard and the product outgasses leaving a coating on the inside of the windshield. This coating can be VERY difficult to remove if it is silicone-based.

This is the very reason it is HIGHLY recommended to use only damp cloth to wipe interior of vehicle.
No I haven't used any kind of protectant or cleaner on my dash, as I haven't really had the chance since I bought the vehicle to give the inside a good clean. I used regular blue shop towels to wipe the inside of my window and it seemed to do really well with not leaving streaks, I don't know if they are any more or less harmful than typical paper towels though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have noticed same thing anyone know how to get rid of this?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have noticed same thing anyone know how to get rid of this?
Plastics used to manufacture vehicles tend to 'outgass' in hot weather. This can leave a hard-to-remove residue on the inside of the glass.

Clean the inside of the glass THOROUGHLY with several different cleaners. (spray on cloth then wipe...DO NOT spray inside vehicle) Hopefully, you will find a cleaner which can cut thru and remove the residue on the inside of the glass.

Do not use cloth which has been thru laundry with 'softeners' ... this will add to the residue on the glass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been using the AC? A clogged drain can cause water accumulation and wetting of the carpets. :eek:
I think this might be my issue. Was driving around at 6:00am with my windows down and the relative humidity was pretty high so I was having issues with my windows fogging. Flipped on the AC to make it go away. Fast forward to lunch time and I'm driving back from grabbing a sub and I notice my shoe squeaking on the pedal, get back to work and see there there is water dripping down from under the dash onto the floor mat, luckily I had a roll of shop towels in my back seat so I was able to sop up most of the water and I jammed some towels under the dash to stop more water from leaking on the carpet. Is this something I have to have the dealer fix or it there an easy home fix for this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a similar thread going here

https://www.impreza5.com/forum/138-5th-gen-impreza-issues-problems/12888-water-leak.html

where the guy thinks his AC drain tube was clogged by mud from driving off road. Dunno how else it would get clogged, all these cars supposedly have a pollen filter.

Check your drain tube, lets hope it's something simple, vs. a rain leak.
Yeah I did post in that thread already, I'd love to check my drain tube, but could someone give me a headsup as to where I should be checking? It's likely I'll be able to put my car on a lift this weekend if it's somewhere hard to get to. For now I've got the shop towels in there, and I ordered a dehumidifying pouch thing and I'll keep the AC off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take a flashlight and kneel down next to the passenger footwell. You will see a rubber tube running from the bottom of the AC box, through the firewall. Put a towel under it and you should be able to pull the tube off the AC box. See if a bunch of water runs out. Pull the tube into the car and remove it, see that you can blow through it. Reassemble.

Do you park on a hill? I had a honda once that, due to the shape of the AC box, held water in there if the car was parked on a slight uphill. We had to train ourselves to park it "nose down".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Take a flashlight and kneel down next to the passenger footwell. You will see a rubber tube running from the bottom of the AC box, through the firewall. Put a towel under it and you should be able to pull the tube off the AC box. See if a bunch of water runs out. Pull the tube into the car and remove it, see that you can blow through it. Reassemble.

Do you park on a hill? I had a honda once that, due to the shape of the AC box, held water in there if the car was parked on a slight uphill. We had to train ourselves to park it "nose down".
Thank you very much for the help I'll take a look at that tomorrow. And no everywhere I park is fairly flat, I'm sure there is a slight grade but nothing anyone would consider a hill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello NEW 2019 Impreza owner here, I noticed condesation in the rear which seem to happen after rain which i though was weird since it was a new car, SO i took it for a 1 hr ride with defogger on to dry her out.. after a week go's by more rain had come and more condensation only in the rear windows both back passengers and back 5 door hatchback window, this time i looked around for leaks, checked the seams dillengently, took her for another 1 hr drive with defogger on to dry it out, but i noticed the SHARK FIN ATNENNA on the roof was not sealed with any sealant just a rubber gasket which could be lifted with minimal effort like it kinda just sits there hoping to not get water in o_O wtf... that sparked some concern. I went to Home Depot and got a tube of Loctite clear silicone, ran a tight bead around the Shark fin antenna base.. NOW after Heavy rain i get ZERO condensation!!! i havnt had any fog or condensation issue since except the silicone is getting dirsty OOF im sure theres a better option out there but for now this will at least keep my car from rusting on the inside YIKES, Iv yet to make a complaint to subaru over this I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! GOODLUCK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts