5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our Imprezza I opted out of the extended "Subaru" contract as it seemed very over priced, and pushed out payment way over our budget. After researching warranties I've come across Planet Subaru and Manchester Subaru as two of the most used dealerships for adding the warranty after the fact. Is there another dealership that anyone recommends that will sell after the fact at a discount? I'm gonna reach out to both of them to get a price and compare just making sure I'm not missing a deal by not asking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wait so different dealerships have different prices for the extended warranty?!
Unfortunately yes. Well, I guess it's a good and bad thing. The dealerships make money on the warranties so some will price them more competitively than others. They also have quotas for how many warranties they need to sell. Usually if you shop around dealerships, they will vary slightly in price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the gold warranty 7/70000 for an extra $20 a month. Dealership originally wanted 25 a month and I said no. Once they got down to 20, I took it. I usually never take it, but I had a nightmare subaru forester as my previous vehicle and I wanted piece of mind. I originally wanted a honda accord sport, but I have no other AWD vehicles, so I compromised with the wife/boss and got the impreza instead. I live in central PA and we get a fair amount of snow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you had a chance to call yet? Any details on rates? I also opted out, but now with the new model issues starting to show up (e.g., head unit issue), wondering if it makes sense to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you had a chance to call yet? Any details on rates? I also opted out, but now with the new model issues starting to show up (e.g., head unit issue), wondering if it makes sense to pull the trigger.
I spoke with a gentleman at Planet Subaru, he quoted me $1050 for the 5 year 100,000K gold package, which is half as much as we were quoted at our local dealership where we bought the car. I will most likely be pulling the trigger on this as soon as we get refunded on the balance of our extended warranty on our trade in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got the Gold 7year/70,000/0 deductible for $995 by calling Park Subaru.
New & Used Subaru Car Dealership in Akron OH | Park Subaru Serving Canton, Brunswick, and Massillon

No guarantee you'll get the same price though. I did a lot of research gathering price & contact info others posted on a variety of subaru forums and I never got close to the price they quoted calling the same dealer. It seems the dealers change their prices a lot for what ever reason. I ended up just googling "Subaru Added Security" and called the first 15 dealers listed. My quotes ranged from $995 to $1600 for the gold 7/70,000/0 plan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Prices for these extended warranty plans are great since just a few small jobs or 1-2 bigger jobs can put you right at break even with the cost of extended warranty, beyond that it would be paying us :D

I just hope this time around we won't have nearly as many electrical problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I look at a vehicle extended warranty as a form of property/asset insurance, something we pay for if we need it, but hope it is all a waste of money (fire insurance, earthquake insurance, car insurance, etc). However, if the costs of something bad is more than we could probably afford, as bad things seem to happen at the worst of time, when we can least afford to repair something, then an extended warranty is something we should consider.

And like all other types of insurance, there is huge profit margins in selling it, and so we need to do extensive research to find the best deal. In the case of car extended warranties, on average if your dealer wants to charge you $2,000 for a policy, they are making more than $1,000 profit on it (paying the parent company less than half).

Which leads please to one other thing that independent study after study has shown, that we should never buy an extended warranty from a "third party," but only from a dealership? Why, because so many 3rd party insurers, when you actually file your claim, IMO, mostly find one reason buried in their extensive length, small print policies, why your car's broken X, or Y, or Z part is "wear and tear" and/or otherwise not covered, i.e., they have some reason to deny your claim.

On the opposite site, if you were to buy a Subaru extended warranty from your dealership, that warranty is registered electronically with all other Subaru dealerships nationwide, so if on a road trip and your water pump starts to leak and you cripple into a Subie dealership 1,200 miles from home, that dealership has, on their computer screen, that you have a Subie extended warranty policy.

And lastly, conversely, if you were to have bought your extended warranty from a third party company, hypothetically named "ABC Extended Warranty Co.," and if that same circumstance as above, and you go into that dealership and only have ABC's policy, what the dealership will tell you is that you must pay in full for the new water pump and then file your claim for reimbursement with ABC.

Just my thoughts; hope at least one or two are of help to someone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the Gold 7year/70,000/0 deductible for $995 by calling Park Subaru.
New & Used Subaru Car Dealership in Akron OH | Park Subaru Serving Canton, Brunswick, and Massillon

No guarantee you'll get the same price though. I did a lot of research gathering price & contact info others posted on a variety of subaru forums and I never got close to the price they quoted calling the same dealer. It seems the dealers change their prices a lot for what ever reason. I ended up just googling "Subaru Added Security" and called the first 15 dealers listed. My quotes ranged from $995 to $1600 for the gold 7/70,000/0 plan
Thank you for the tip about googling "Subaru Added Security!" I just did this and contacted every dealership in a 400 mile radius (There's about 19 of them, because it's Saturday and I have nothing but free time for once). So far I have gotten several responses back by e-mail and the price differences for the exact same extended warranty are HUGE. So far, for the 7 year/100k miles Gold Plus package with $0 deductible is anywhere from $1350 to $2970(!).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well done short1usa17! You just proved my and other' points on this thread, the unbelievably huge profit margins on extended warranties!

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
Searched out this thread about extended warranties after receiving three recalls on our '18 Impreza. As I read through these posts, it occurred to me that buying an extended warranty simply guarantees that I have to pay extra money... that is, I have to pay the cost of the warranty. If I don't buy a warranty, and never need one (which has been my experience with every new car I ever bought), then I have saved some money. I think I will continue to drive without a net.

Peace... Mack

·
Registered
34 Posts
Searched out this thread about extended warranties after receiving three recalls on our '18 Impreza. As I read through these posts, it occurred to me that buying an extended warranty simply guarantees that I have to pay extra money... that is, I have to pay the cost of the warranty. If I don't buy a warranty, and never need one (which has been my experience with every new car I ever bought), then I have saved some money. I think I will continue to drive without a net.

Peace... Mack
It's all about the peace of mind. I normally lease our cars but when I did decide to purchase our Outback, it was $25/mo for 10yr/100K $0 deductible Subaru Added Security.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I spoke with a gentleman at Planet Subaru, he quoted me $1050 for the 5 year 100,000K gold package, which is half as much as we were quoted at our local dealership where we bought the car. I will most likely be pulling the trigger on this as soon as we get refunded on the balance of our extended warranty on our trade in.
On the Outback message board, people are writing that Planet Subaru no longer sells extended warranties to anyone who calls. I don't know if it's a Subaru of New England thing or if Subaru corporate was getting complaints from other dealerships and put in a new policy. I have a 7 year/100k mile/$100 deductible Subaru Gold on my 6-cylinder Outback. The new warranty can go up to 120,000 miles. Personally, I'd do that to bound the cost of ownership. I'm not sure at the moment how much you can shop around for the best deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just tell your dealer you found a better price from another dealer online. That's what I did and bought the plan from the selling dealer for the price I wanted. They'd rather make a little on it than none at all.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Subaru Corporate is cracking down on Internet warranty sales as it is hurting local dealer profit and several dealerships have complained forcing Subaru to put a stop to it. That, however, does not mean that you cannot negotiate the warranty price like you do the car. Be a smart and well educated buyer!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts