5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'17 Impreza Limited. So when I turn the fan speed knob for the A/C / Heater up or down, sometimes it reacts correctly, sometimes it goes up when I say go down, sometimes it goes down when I say up, and sometimes it just does whatever the hell it wants. I need to keep turning the knob in different directions and hope it eventually lands on the fan speed I want. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I'm out of the original warranty but have the top coverage Subaru extended warranty, so it should be covered at the dealer. Just wondering if this was a common issue before I took it in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since you have a limited, automatic climate control is a feature your trim comes standard with. It may have something to do with your vehicle trying to get the right temperature with fan speed you desire. Just spit balling, as I have a sport which does not have automatic climate control, so the fan does as it says. However, I've experienced something similar with our Toyota Sienna with the automatic climate control.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you have a limited, automatic climate control is a feature your trim comes standard with. It may have something to do with your vehicle trying to get the right temperature with fan speed you desire. Just spit balling, as I have a sport which does not have automatic climate control, so the fan does as it says. However, I've experienced something similar with our Toyota Sienna with the automatic climate control.
Thanks. You may be right if the automatic is getting confused. But I think it may be something different, however. Since we've had the car 2 /12 years this is definitely a new behavior. If you just reach down and try to turn the fan speed up a click and take it out of auto and into manual, it may go up one, but it may do nothing or even go down a couple. If you keep spinning it, it just goes all over. Maybe the rheostat switch or whatever is connected to the knob is bad. Guess I'll just have to take it in.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,838 Posts
Great theory and I would bet on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great theory and I would bet on it.
I'm a little confused. Are you saying this is normal for the automatic function or are you saying that the auto function is malfunctioning? It never did this for the first 2 years, not once.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be clear. I grab the FAN knob (regardless of mode) and try to turn it to full high. It may go down to the lowest speed as I spin the knob up. It may go up, or it may go somewhere else. As I spin the knob that little bar graph showing the fan speed doesn't correspond to how I spin the FAN knob up or down. It reacts, just incorrectly.

·
Administrator
1,838 Posts
I'm a little confused. Are you saying this is normal for the automatic function or are you saying that the auto function is malfunctioning? It never did this for the first 2 years, not once.
I don't have that system in my car but I have owned cars with similar systems. It seems to me that if you have it on Auto the system is going to use the settings it wants to keep the temps at the level that you set. If you set a temp. and then started messing with the fan then the system is going to get confused and try to set it back to what it wants to keep the temp. you set. That is my theory anyway, I certainly could be wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to be clear. I grab the FAN knob (regardless of mode) and try to turn it to full high. It may go down to the lowest speed as I spin the knob up. It may go up, or it may go somewhere else. As I spin the knob that little bar graph showing the fan speed doesn't correspond to how I spin the FAN knob up or down. It reacts, just incorrectly.
Hmmmm... The disconnect between what you are doing with the knob and the display does sound like your theory that there may be something wrong with the knob, or its wiring. And the fact this is a recent development only adds to it. I would have them check it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have that system in my car but I have owned cars with similar systems. It seems to me that if you have it on Auto the system is going to use the settings it wants to keep the temps at the level that you set. If you set a temp. and then started messing with the fan then the system is going to get confused and try to set it back to what it wants to keep the temp. you set. That is my theory anyway, I certainly could be wrong.
Okay, thanks. The way it works normally is when you push Auto and set the temp, the computer takes over the fan speed and does what it wants for the temp you set. I'm pretty used to it doing that. But when you grab the fan knob and manually turn it the first time, it disengages the auto fan and you have manual control until you push Auto again. It won't normally reengage the auto fan until you tell it to. I do appreciate the brainstorming, I'm guessing it's the knob at this point. I'll let you know after I take it in.

·
Administrator
1,838 Posts
Okay, thanks. The way it works normally is when you push Auto and set the temp, the computer takes over the fan speed and does what it wants for the temp you set. I'm pretty used to it doing that. But when you grab the fan knob and manually turn it the first time, it disengages the auto fan and you have manual control until you push Auto again. It won't normally reengage the auto fan until you tell it to. I do appreciate the brainstorming, I'm guessing it's the knob at this point. I'll let you know after I take it in.
Yea, it was just a theory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts