5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the sales guy stated that the first oil change should be done at 3,000 miles instead of the recommended 6,000 to remove metal components from the oil during the break in period.

Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is the scoop your engines are pre-spun so you just need to change oil @ 6000 miles US or 10000kms CAN.
Give it @least 1,500 miles before you paddleshift or use the cruise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So the sales guy stated that the first oil change should be done at 3,000 miles instead of the recommended 6,000 to remove metal components from the oil during the break in period.

Anyone have any input?
Curious.

I went in to get the headunit reflashed last week, and they changed out the oil as well. I'll try to remember to ask if that's a thing next time I go in.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you can get it for free, I don't see why not.

But I typically changed my oil early just for the sake of trying to maintain it as best I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Asked the service guys about this specifically and was repeatedly told that the first oil change is at 6,000 miles. I say check the level at least weekly, as they are subarus and we all know how oil thirsty they are.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't mean be a downer here, but when I leased my car (California), I got free maintenance for 2 years/24,000 miles. I was told that I have to come in no later then 6 months between services, otherwise i will lose the the free scheduled service.
These are not cheap oil changes, since they demand synthetic oil.

Is it only for leased cars?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mean be a downer here, but when I leased my car (California), I got free maintenance for 2 years/24,000 miles. I was told that I have to come in no later then 6 months between services, otherwise i will lose the the free scheduled service.
These are not cheap oil changes, since they demand synthetic oil.

Is it only for leased cars?
It's at participating dealers only. Synthetic oil changes at the dealer here in MA are about $55, which is cheap compared to Valvoline at $79.99. Much prefer going to the dealer for oil changes, not just because it's cheaper but you know it's done right. Nothing worse than getting an oil change & the idiot "mechanic" forgetting to tighten the oil drain plug :frown2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think when you should change your oil primarily depends on how you drive and as well as the driving conditions.

It used to be the case that heavy towing, driving in stop and go traffic, or driving short distances qualified as severe use and one followed a more frequent oil change interval.

Since my drive is 3.5 miles each way to work and my wife's is only half that, I try to change oil every 6 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first (almost always every 6 months).

In the winter time, our engines don't get enough time to completely warm up any internal condensation doesn't completely boil off. Consequently, several of primary daily drivers have developed a custard looking slime on the inside of the oil fill cap. That is oil that has broken down in the presence of water. Since I get concerned about the state of the oil, it's not worth pushing it to the recommended service interval. But, as always, YMMV.

That being said, my new F150 has an oil life monitor that is supposedly based on sophisticated algorithms. I changed the oil at 1,000 miles on the dot prior to the onset of winter and didn't notice any of the aforementioned "sludge" this year. 3,000 mile later, my engine oil monitor indicates that my oil life is at 50%. Still, I'm going to change it very soon. It's cheap insurance, IMO.

As far as initial oil change in our soon to arrive wagon, I'll probably change it at 1,000 miles. It's not that I'm concerned about particles from engine wear but more so due to me wanting to install a Fumoto drain valve and possibly a skid plate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
According to the Warranty and Maintenance booklet, oil should be changed a 6 months or 6'000 miles, whichever occurs first. So you may well need to change oil at 2k-3k miles due to time since the last change.

The owners manual does not suggest doing the first oil change early. Don't hurt to change it but it will not likely help longevity.

When I bought my first new car the oil change interval was 1'000 miles. I guess I'm giving away my approximate age.

Clifton

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your car is the cvt then it'll be at the 6k mark. But if you have the manual then the first change should be done around the 3k-5k mark, far more oil is consumed when in the manual so Subaru does recommend getting it changed sooner than the cvt. Hope this helps

·
Registered
369 Posts
According to the Warranty and Maintenance booklet, oil should be changed a 6 months or 6'000 miles, whichever occurs first. So you may well need to change oil at 2k-3k miles due to time since the last change.

The owners manual does not suggest doing the first oil change early. Don't hurt to change it but it will not likely help longevity.

When I bought my first new car the oil change interval was 1'000 miles. I guess I'm giving away my approximate age.

Clifton
I purchased my Impreza on December 9th. It currently has 2,500 miles on it. Should I take it in for an oil change? It's been over 6 months.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I purchased my Impreza on December 9th. It currently has 2,500 miles on it. Should I take it in for an oil change? It's been over 6 months.
Yes you should. I'll hit 6 months of ownership well before I put 6,000 miles on it.

Reactions: Jojo613

·
Registered
232 Posts
As mentioned earlier the oil should be changed at 6k or 6 months, whichever happens first. I have owned 3 cars requiring 0-W20 oil. I have never found any 0-W20 conventional oil, can only find synthetic. The Subaru manual reads (if you cannot find the correct oil you can use 5-W30 until the next change is due). I don't know why they wouldn't recommend using 5-W20, it was easy to find the last time I checked.

Clifton

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As mentioned earlier the oil should be changed at 6k or 6 months, whichever happens first. I have owned 3 cars requiring 0-W20 oil. I have never found any 0-W20 conventional oil, can only find synthetic. The Subaru manual reads (if you cannot find the correct oil you can use 5-W30 until the next change is due). I don't know why they wouldn't recommend using 5-W20, it was easy to find the last time I checked.

Clifton
Yes 6k, that's what I figured. Almost time for my 2nd oil change at 12k :frown2:

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Yes 6k, that's what I figured. Almost time for my 2nd oil change at 12k :frown2:
You must do a lot of driving haha. My brother's '14 WRX only has just over 13k on it. You nearly passed him already.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You must do a lot of driving haha. My brother's '14 WRX only has just over 13k on it. You nearly passed him already.
Haha yeah I drive to Maine a lot & sometimes NYC. I also live an hour west of Boston, so I'm always driving to the city to meet friends & go biking places. Figure once I get close to the 30k, I'll trade her in for maybe the new Crosstrek :smile2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
The dealer scheduled my first oil change when I bought the car. It's 3 months from when I took the car off the lot. It's free, so why not? Otherwise I'd probably wait until the 6K miles. Modern synthetic oil is quite good.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just tell them you'd like to wait until 6...no reason to do it at 3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm at 3500 and don't plan on changing it till 5000 at the earliest, but I'm doing it myself and not paying the dealer. Its a piece of cake

1 - 20 of 25 Posts