5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Impreza now has 5,000 miles. (side note i change the oil on all my vehicles at 5,000 i know the manufacture says to go longer i also rotate tires at 5,000). So its time for its oil change. first thing i did was order a new Fumoto valve.

i have them in all my vehicles . i ordered the one that allows you to rotate the vale to any position the 90 degree it faces. should have looked under the impreza before ordering

the way the drain sits on the Subaru Impreza the straight through design works best. i was just use to ordering the angle one on my other vehicles that i didn't even bother to check. so anyone that want to order one for there impreza order this one

ok standard procedure . put the car on car ramps set the parking brake . pop the hood.

no i did not drive the car onto the ramps. the ramps i have are too steep. i will be ordering some new ramps soon.raceramps

have all my supplies . the oil and filter. i like using amsoil.

when you look underneath the car there a full plastic skid plate . you don't remove this .

it does have access to the oil drain plug but its closer to the back. thats my hairy arm while I'm trying to point out the access hole.

when you look through the access you can see theres plenty of work space to do a simple oil change .

once i removed the oil plug and let the oil drained i went ahead and put the fumoto valve together. the blue clip is just an extra safety clip

make sure to get a couple drops of oil on the o rings so the can slide to make a seal and not pinch or tear.

also remove the oil filter while the oil is draining. the factory one was on so tight i had to use a pair of channel locks to remove it. lucky its on top an plenty of room.
i like to clean all around the filter before i remove the filter. making sure all debris is clear.

after the filter is off i still like to clean the surface and make sure everything is in good shape.

once all the oil has drained i installed the Fumoto oil valve . it screws on just like the factory plug. nothing special. the only difference is if you buy the angled one like i did you have to position it the best way you like it. once again order the straight one .it will work perfect .

with the safety clip installed.

install new oil filter make sure you also put some oil on the rubber gasket before you install it .and go ahead and add your oil. owners manual reads 4.7 quarts.

I'm pretty sure i might have over looked some steps as far as a how to change oil . just wanted to share info on the new fumoto valve i installed . i always do my own maintenance so having that valve is great. i hook up 3/8"id hose to it and drain it straight to a container its really convenient too. with this subaru having the oil filter on top . it makes it a breeze .

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great write up! Looking forward to having the filter up nice and high (although no way to prefill it with oil before starting up).

Does the Impreza have a crush washer at the OEM plug (my Forester always did) and did you use one on the Fumoto?

Thanks for the advice on the straight version. Also look like plenty of clearance for the one with the longer tip (for tubing for the drain)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good deal. I'm looking to add one as well.

Do you know how far it protrudes into the oil pan? Will it completely drain the old oil?

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Folks who have installed them on Foresters (my previous Subaru) reported that the amount of oil that it hangs up in that configuration is pretty minimal, measured by draining through an installed Fumoto and then taking the valve off to see how much more oil drained out.

(On the Forester) some folks use the washer provided with the Fumoto and others use a Subaru crush washer; I don't know if they differ in installed thickness but that might affect minimally the length of those short threads protrude into the pan.

Reactions: longbedbob

·
Registered
232 Posts
(although no way to prefill it with oil before starting up).

I have owned several cars with filters upside down. I just fill the filter slowly, let the oil penetrate the filter media. I keep adding oil until the media is well soaked. It's not totally full but its enough to make to eliminate a dry start. The filter is very small so it should quickly finish filling without a dry start rattle. It works for me.

Clifton

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sweet, nice job. I like Amsoil products too. Also as an observation, the hood can go a notch further up. I guess for back access to the engine, not really needed when working in the front. But wanted to throw that tid bit out here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know how far down the fumoto valve hangs? We are concerned with it getting sheared off or bent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the straight version. Also look like plenty of clearance for the one with the longer tip (for tubing for the drain)?
Agreed! That is invaluable info; I would have bought the newer rotating value that you have otherwise.

I'm going to get one for my Forester XT soon as it's due for an oil change. If I like it I'll get one for the Impreza later; it only has 1200km right now. Or I might take it to the dealer for the first couple oil changes, haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone know how far down the fumoto valve hangs? We are concerned with it getting sheared off or bent.
Without putting it up on ramps and double checking, it appears that the stock oil drain plug is at the rear of the engine and about 6 - 6 1/2" above the ground and recessed into the lower engine cowling. I hesitate to call it a skid plate because it serves more of an aerodynamic function than to protect the engine.

It also sits behind and slightly above, the lower exhaust. Any road debris you might run over will take out the exhaust and, most likely, several other things before it rips off the Fumoto drain valve.

If you hit something and suddenly your engine grows louder, the obvious thing to do would be to turn off the engine and check for a puddle of oil. You're probably calling for a tow regardless.

FWIW, I'm trying to source a proper, aftermarket metal skid plate. So far I haven't found any that is guaranteed to work with our cars, though. I would feel pretty comfortable having a drain valve on my car if it were married with real skid protection.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Also as an observation, the hood can go a notch further up. I guess for back access to the engine, not really needed when working in the front. But wanted to throw that tid bit out here.
I wanted to try this out & took pics, but be careful. When propping or un-propping for back access to the engine, hold the hood from the latch so it doesn't fly backwards & cause some damage :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks to this post, I just ordered the Fumoto F108S from Amazon. It has short, straight nipple but can accept a Fumoto adapter if you wanted to connect a drain hose. it also comes with the plastic "lock".

It should work according to the Fumoto fitment guide and reviews from Subaru owners.

$33ish shipped from Amazon.

I'll follow my usual new car pattern and change the oil at 1000 miles, whether needed or not.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just found out that Fumoto is offering 10% off orders placed on their web site http://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/ this Columbus Day weekend with the coupon code "COLUMBUS" (all caps); free shipping over $25 as well. The F108S (with security clip) is $26.05, shipped. I know because I just bought one! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I love the Fumoto valve...I have put them on all my cars for the past 15+ years. Not putting one on the Impreza because the car came with a factory 2 year / 24K miles free service plan so I'll wait until the 2 years is up and do it then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
the Impreza now has 5,000 miles. (side note i change the oil on all my vehicles at 5,000 i know the manufacture says to go longer i also rotate tires at 5,000). So its time for its oil change. first thing i did was order a new Fumoto valve.

i have them in all my vehicles . i ordered the one that allows you to rotate the vale to any position the 90 degree it faces. should have looked under the impreza before ordering

the way the drain sits on the Subaru Impreza the straight through design works best. i was just use to ordering the angle one on my other vehicles that i didn't even bother to check. so anyone that want to order one for there impreza order this one

ok standard procedure . put the car on car ramps set the parking brake . pop the hood.

no i did not drive the car onto the ramps. the ramps i have are too steep. i will be ordering some new ramps soon.raceramps

have all my supplies . the oil and filter. i like using amsoil.

when you look underneath the car there a full plastic skid plate . you don't remove this .

it does have access to the oil drain plug but its closer to the back. thats my hairy arm while I'm trying to point out the access hole.

when you look through the access you can see theres plenty of work space to do a simple oil change .

once i removed the oil plug and let the oil drained i went ahead and put the fumoto valve together. the blue clip is just an extra safety clip

make sure to get a couple drops of oil on the o rings so the can slide to make a seal and not pinch or tear.

also remove the oil filter while the oil is draining. the factory one was on so tight i had to use a pair of channel locks to remove it. lucky its on top an plenty of room.
i like to clean all around the filter before i remove the filter. making sure all debris is clear.

after the filter is off i still like to clean the surface and make sure everything is in good shape.

once all the oil has drained i installed the Fumoto oil valve . it screws on just like the factory plug. nothing special. the only difference is if you buy the angled one like i did you have to position it the best way you like it. once again order the straight one .it will work perfect .

with the safety clip installed.

install new oil filter make sure you also put some oil on the rubber gasket before you install it .and go ahead and add your oil. owners manual reads 4.7 quarts.

I'm pretty sure i might have over looked some steps as far as a how to change oil . just wanted to share info on the new fumoto valve i installed . i always do my own maintenance so having that valve is great. i hook up 3/8"id hose to it and drain it straight to a container its really convenient too. with this subaru having the oil filter on top . it makes it a breeze .
Hi Funnytoe looking at pic 14 the safety clip on the fumito valve doesn't look right
It is suppose to go thru the metal clip and around the brass barrel

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The lock piece is supposed to "catch" the ball valve handle. It is not doing that in Funnytoe's pic...it doesn't appear as if that safety catch fits that funky valve he purchased or it is just installed wrong. I have been using Fumoto valves for over 20 years and only buy the straight through designs with the short nipple to attach a plastic hose to drain into a sealable jug for recycling. If anyone is interested, buy the F108 and nothing else.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Usually I use a Pela pump to suck the oil out
As I am in Florida mileage being close I decided to change oil
Which I have been doing for a long time
Then i met Scooby??? oil pan socket slipped ??
Rounded the nut
Got a small pipe wrench and tapped the nut off??
Called fumito and for $26.& change valve and safety catch are on with no issues

Also in nearly 6000mls car used 3/16 oil

1 - 20 of 41 Posts