5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

Today I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2019 Impreza Sport. Car is great and I like it a lot but I noticed something very very odd.

My model has fog lights, but no switch for said fog lights.

It's not on the light control stick or the dash panel by the dash dimmer. I've looked all over, but nothing. Best I can tell they are OEM lights. Car was a dealer loaner that I bought as a CPO with 6k miles on it so I wouldn't think they were aftermarket.

Anyone here heard of something like this cause I'm seriously confused about how something like this came to be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was unaware of this. I assumed they were fog lights due to the location. I will investigate tomorrow once the sun comes up and I can throw it in auto.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was unaware of this. I assumed they were fog lights due to the location. I will investigate tomorrow once the sun comes up and I can throw it in auto.
Update us, I’m just very curious.

I have the actual round fog lights, and honestly thought the only options were fog lights or solid plastic inserts in the bumpers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome. Uh, yes... I would also be confused. The switch should be on the turning signal stalk. I remember looking for mine, upon purchase, and only seeing it, after a very thorough perusal...

·
Registered
33 Posts
As near as I can tell, the OP's picture shows stock Sport model fog lights.
Looks like what I’m seeing in the reddit post linked above. Either way, it’s either a slightly asinine way to implement running lights or a manufacturing anomaly that puts OP in an annoying pickle.

fog lights are one of those super cool features that you typically disregard until you have them. I admire mine and my friends think I’m crazy. If I was in OPs position I’d be really, really upset.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So despite it being late here and pouring buckets due to Sally, I took my little brother out to do some more investigating.

Turns out they are indeed DRLs, not fog lights. They are only active if the headlights are not on (so the selector is set to OFF or Ambers only) and the car is NOT in park. That second part is what threw me earlier. I kept switching the light modes but couldn't get the DRLs on because the car was in park.

Honestly those lights aren't bright enough to be effective fog lights anyway.

So yeah. That was an interesting learning experience. Turns out the only thing wrong with the car was me :LOL:

·
Registered
33 Posts
So despite it being late here and pouring buckets due to Sally, I took my little brother out to do some more investigating.

Turns out they are indeed DRLs, not fog lights. They are only active if the headlights are not on (so the selector is set to OFF or Ambers only) and the car is NOT in park. That second part is what threw me earlier. I kept switching the light modes but couldn't get the DRLs on because the car was in park.

Honestly those lights aren't bright enough to be effective fog lights anyway.

So yeah. That was an interesting learning experience. Turns out the only thing wrong with the car was me :LOL:
let us know when you do the oem fog light install though thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure I'm going to install fog lights but I'm seriously considering swapping out the halogen headlight bulbs for some brighter LEDs. I hate dim/yellow headlights. Just gotta figure out which ones to buy.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
719 Posts
The sport model has DRL's and not Fog Lights, there is no switch for them of course. Why they did this is confusing to me too. Every other model either has fogs or is pre wired for fogs and it's basically Plug an Play. You can get an OEM kit and it includes the fog light assemblies, a relay and the fog button which goes in the dash by the traction control button. The Sport is not pre wired, and you can't use the kit. The models that can have fogs use the High Beams on lower power for the DRLs. Fogs and DRLs of course have very different light patterns and purposes. You have a couple of choices if you want to upgrade the lighting with the Sport version.

As an aside, DRL's will turn off if you use the parking break and / or put your car in park if it's an automatic. Instead of flashing my lights to warn someone of maybe a hazard on the road (or maybe a speed trap) I will slightly lift my parking brake lever a few times. Not enough to engage the brakes but enough to have the "brake" light icon on the dash to light up. That flashes the DRL's and no other lights.

The bad news: No easy way to add fogs to the Sport Model, it's not pre wired. The wires going to the DRL are not the same nor are they powered the same as fogs.

The good news: Unlike models with fogs, you can upgrade your high beams with a good quality LED bulb and not worry about the DRL system making them flicker. It works, I've added these and they work well. I've had them in since last October

Amazon.com: 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair, AUXITO 9005 (HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2: Automotive

In my low beams I have Diode Dynamic LED's

H11 SL1 LED Bulbs (pair)

Options:

One thing you can do that is cheap and easy is add a harness to have the DRLs not go off when you have your headlights come on. It's a nice look at night. No real advantage to seeing better in the dark though. DRL's are to be seen in the daytime and at night they will only look cool, the low beams and high beams will throw a lot more light. That harness kit is available for a little under 30 bucks shipped from SubiSpeed here

OLM Night Harness kit for OEM DRLs

If you want fogs instead there are a few things you can do, Subispeed also has a fog light kit, however there will be no switch in the cabin. The fogs will always come on with the low beams.

OLM Complete OEM Style Fog Light Kit

I went a different route myself, I did some creative wiring and using the DRL harness, got some OEM fog bezels and swapped my DRL's for some Diode Dynamic Fog Light Pods

SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for 2015-2019 Subaru Impreza (w/ Eyesight Package)

These are really nice lights and work well. I have no switch inside, they come on with the headlamps like the SubiSpeed system. If I get ambitious I may add a switch at some point. I have some pics here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FbBdE1sLhVQrz5mu5

Welcome to the forum and I hope this helps some. I was disappointed too that my sport had DRL's instead and no easy way to get fogs installed. One thing though, most OEM fog lights aren't very good anway, mostly cosmedic not throwing a good fog light pattern. What makes fog lights fog lights is the pattern and not the color. Low and wide to get under the fog and show the road close to the front of the car. You can usually get some good aftermarket upgrades for true fogs, like the Diode Dynamics. Having said that lately they have been fitting OEM LED fogs that are doing a much better job then they use to.

Reactions: AWDFTW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sport model has DRL's and not Fog Lights, there is no switch for them of course. Why they did this is confusing to me too. Every other model either has fogs or is pre wired for fogs and it's basically Plug an Play. You can get an OEM kit and it includes the fog light assemblies, a relay and the fog button which goes in the dash by the traction control button. The Sport is not pre wired, and you can't use the kit. The models that can have fogs use the High Beams on lower power for the DRLs. Fogs and DRLs of course have very different light patterns and purposes. You have a couple of choices if you want to upgrade the lighting with the Sport version.

As an aside, DRL's will turn off if you use the parking break and / or put your car in park if it's an automatic. Instead of flashing my lights to warn someone of maybe a hazard on the road (or maybe a speed trap) I will slightly lift my parking brake lever a few times. Not enough to engage the brakes but enough to have the "brake" light icon on the dash to light up. That flashes the DRL's and no other lights.

The bad news: No easy way to add fogs to the Sport Model, it's not pre wired. The wires going to the DRL are not the same nor are they powered the same as fogs.

The good news: Unlike models with fogs, you can upgrade your high beams with a good quality LED bulb and not worry about the DRL system making them flicker. It works, I've added these and they work well. I've had them in since last October

Amazon.com: 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair, AUXITO 9005 (HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2: Automotive

In my low beams I have Diode Dynamic LED's

H11 SL1 LED Bulbs (pair)

Options:

One thing you can do that is cheap and easy is add a harness to have the DRLs not go off when you have your headlights come on. It's a nice look at night. No real advantage to seeing better in the dark though. DRL's are to be seen in the daytime and at night they will only look cool, the low beams and high beams will throw a lot more light. That harness kit is available for a little under 30 bucks shipped from SubiSpeed here

OLM Night Harness kit for OEM DRLs

If you want fogs instead there are a few things you can do, Subispeed also has a fog light kit, however there will be no switch in the cabin. The fogs will always come on with the low beams.

OLM Complete OEM Style Fog Light Kit

I went a different route myself, I did some creative wiring and using the DRL harness, got some OEM fog bezels and swapped my DRL's for some Diode Dynamic Fog Light Pods

SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for 2015-2019 Subaru Impreza (w/ Eyesight Package)

These are really nice lights and work well. I have no switch inside, they come on with the headlamps like the SubiSpeed system. If I get ambitious I may add a switch at some point. I have some pics here:

Diode Dynamic Fog Light Install 2019 Impreza Sport

Welcome to the forum and I hope this helps some. I was disappointed too that my sport had DRL's instead and no easy way to get fogs installed. One thing though, most OEM fog lights aren't very good anway, mostly cosmedic not throwing a good fog light pattern. What makes fog lights fog lights is the pattern and not the color. Low and wide to get under the fog and show the road close to the front of the car. You can usually get some good aftermarket upgrades for true fogs, like the Diode Dynamics. Having said that lately they have been fitting OEM LED fogs that are doing a much better job then they use to.
So I'm actually looking at headlight LED replacements. Not sure I want to drop a $150 on some low beams. I did find these on Amazon though.

Also 16000 lumens for high beams? Sign me up. Are those plug and play?

·
ModFather
719 Posts
I have not use those but there are people on this site that have had good luck with that brand. I have to say, Diode Dynamics make very high quality stuff. I've gone through lots of different LED bulbs over the years in my cars. Only in the past few years have I found bulbs that have an accurate pattern and are not blinding to oncoming cars. High Beams you don't have to worry about blinding people as much as the pattern of course. Low beams though are something you don't' want to cheap out on. I have heard good things about beamtech though. Search around here, I know there are people that have direct experience with them.

My hi beams were plug and play for the most part. I think I had to loosen slightly the TORX screws around the mounting area to get the bulb to turn in the socket. There are three screws, it's' easy to do. Then just tighten them back up. I have pics here:

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair, AUXITO 9005 (HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just swapped out the OEM bulbs for the LEDs.

Went for the BeamTech low beams and those Auxito high beams.

The high beams especially are wicked.

Before and After.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also swapped out my bulbs for LEDs. I also have the SubiSpeed harness so the DRLs come on with the ambers and low-beams and love it, FWIW.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
The install is very simple you get two harnesses for each side. One. Taps into the low beam the other one Taps into the DRL and plugs into the DRL. It doesn't take very long you do it from below and have to drop the little splash guard that's below the lights just in front of the wheel. I think there may be a PDF of the instructions on their website I can't remember now.

·
ModFather
719 Posts
this is what the kit looks like. My only watch out is, if you have upgraded your headlamps to LED's the harnes plugs aren't keyed so you can, by accident, if you don't watch the wire color, hook up the harness backward, that will blow a 15A fuse to either the left or right headlamp. I'm not saying how I know this but it can happen trust me ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I think the proper way is to do it from below, but I just popped off the intake on one side and the washer fluid reservoir fill neck on the other and was able to maneuver pretty easily. As peaty said, if they don’t light up, reverse them, then check the fuse. All this talk about it makes it seem difficult, but it’s seriously stupid easy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts