5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
It does make the sedan more practical but it would be great if there isn't a piece of plastic in the middle jutting downwards. That limits the height of what you can put in there. No idea what that black plastic holds.

Maybe speakers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't even notice that until you pointed that middle piece.

What is that even for??

Looks great that the seats fold all the way down flat!

·
Registered
229 Posts
That could just be rear support for the vehicle, part of its frame, otherwise I don't see any good reason to have something positioned like that. And it definitely not part of the rear deck assembly since that shouldn't take up much space at all. Most rear deck assemblies i've seen are no more than 6 inches thick minus a center mount subwoofer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I haven't looked at enough vehicles to say if that's the case or not but it is something to factor in and the only thing I can think of. It won't be the same for every car maker since they all have their own ways of doing things. But at least we have a good 3 feet from the bottom where the carpet is to where the lowest point on the bar starts. Very few people will have an issue with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Too bad manufacturers are coming out with seats that folds down three ways. I would like to be able to fold down the middle seat only to fit 2 passengers and long snowboards.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Actually that's a good idea and all it does is expand on the idea of a middle pass-through which a lot of vehicles already have. At least with that middle pass through you can fit a pair of skii's, just nothing more, it's quite narrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The middle pass through may be narrow but if the Impreza 5 was to implement 3 way fold down seats, tat means you can seat 4 people and still be able to carry long objects like skis and snowboard. With a 60/40 fold, you'll have to either sacrifice on person or sacrifice the gear.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There's always the option of a roof mounted system, even a hitch mounted system and you can rent just about the entire hitch system from U-Haul if you really wanted to. But in my situation that would only be on a random occasion, so I rather rent an SUV for those random times. A Suburban would do well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You'd think it wouldn't be too large of an engineering challenge to separate the seat into three parts for more folding options. Probably not an option in an effort to reduce production costs. I'd still prefer the hatchback cargo space.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've always thought about that. How much would it really affect production costs though ? It really shouldn't be that difficult at all and not require much materials

·
Registered
78 Posts
In a 40/20/40 split seat, the middle seat is usually a fold down armrest and the Impreza has that already, it's just a matter of detaching it from the other two seats. Not a lot of manufacturers go with the three way split anymore and I don't know why.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless they're finding that people don't need 40/20/20 as much as they used to. I read up about how there are less sedans with rear passengers, at least in these lower segments, so that could play into the lack of a center arm rest as well.

Once you go higher up into luxury sedan segments, then the presence of center arm rests start to increase.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Impreza has rear seat has a middle arm rest, that seat just doesn't fold down by itself. Maybe those who like the 40/20/20 seats really are a small portion of buyers. think all manufacturers will just do away with the 40/20/20 seats in the future?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well there has been a diminishing amount of those seats around. People who want more of a practical vehicle are moving towards CUV's and SUV's. Those buying sedans and even coupes mostly have it for just themselves. So already you can see what's going on and where needs are.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's pretty much it I guess.. buying to suit your needs. Still have a good amount of space in there for mini trips and stuff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts