5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sport Hatch
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my CVT service done at a Subaru dealer. I've gone to them in the past with no issues.
I asked if they could also do the front diff while they were at it.

Usually do the differential stuff myself and have always used 75-90 oil.
I did notice on the service sheet they used 80-90 gear oil.
Should I be worried? It does get cold up here in MA during the winter.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Sport Hatch
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bruce. I was considering having them change it this week, but sounds like I'm good.
Wonder why they went with that. Possible supply shortage of their usual stuff?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
I would be much less worried about the 80W-90 (as the 80 is only a cold flow rating, its still a 90 weight oil at temp) compared to the fact this car should use 75W-80 in the differentials. 75W-90 is normally used in the higher performance or older models. In 2012 (ish) Subaru moved to a lower viscosity gear lube for fuel economy.

Long story short, you won't see any "issues". May notice a small drop in fuel efficiency. Both fluids are GL5 and are compatible in CVT and 5MT. If you go back, make sure they use Subaru Gear Oil "EXTRA MT". Its the 75W-80 that your car was factory filled with.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would be much less worried about the 80W-90 (as the 80 is only a cold flow rating, its still a 90 weight oil at temp) compared to the fact this car should use 75W-80 in the differentials. 75W-90 is normally used in the higher performance or older models. In 2012 (ish) Subaru moved to a lower viscosity gear lube for fuel economy.

Long story short, you won't see any "issues". May notice a small drop in fuel efficiency. Both fluids are GL5 and are compatible in CVT and 5MT. If you go back, make sure they use Subaru Gear Oil "EXTRA MT". Its the 75W-80 that your car was factory filled with.
View attachment 26430
View attachment 26429
I was told by the local Subaru dealer that the Subaru gear oil extra MT 75w80 is only available in 5 gal containers and costs north of $400. They sold me the Subaru branded 75w90 gear oil by the quart and said this is what I should use for the exchange.

So which is it...can a Subaru customer purchase the Subaru extra mt 75w80 by the quart OR only the 75w90 they sold me. Was I lied to?

Curious minds want to know.

I can vouch for a noticeable hit to mpg after exchanging the differential oils.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was told by the local Subaru dealer that the Subaru gear oil extra MT 75w80 is only available in 5 gal containers and costs north of $400. They sold me the Subaru branded 75w90 gear oil by the quart and said this is what I should use for the exchange.

So which is it...can a Subaru customer purchase the Subaru extra mt 75w80 by the quart OR only the 75w90 they sold me. Was I lied to?

Curious minds want to know.

I can vouch for a noticeable hit to mpg after exchanging the differential oils.

Thanks
The dealer is correct, you are not able to get 75W-80 in quarts, but if the dealer is doing the fluid exchange they are going to use one container for multiple different cars. I wouldn't expect them to pass that container cost onto the customer unless you were wanting the fluid to do the change yourself.

I actually posted in another thread with the entire Subaru OEM fluid line with part numbers and container sizes. But to answer your question, no you cannot purchase by the quart. Why? No clue why Subaru has opted to do that unless its to help the dealer network make money. With that being said, I run Motul (Even though I'm an AMSOIL dealer) in my driveline because they are one of the only companies I found with a 75W-80 GL5. AMSOIL doesn't make it at this time.

·
Registered
2018 5MT Touring Hatch
17 Posts
The dealer is correct, you are not able to get 75W-80 in quarts, but if the dealer is doing the fluid exchange they are going to use one container for multiple different cars. I wouldn't expect them to pass that container cost onto the customer unless you were wanting the fluid to do the change yourself.

I actually posted in another thread with the entire Subaru OEM fluid line with part numbers and container sizes. But to answer your question, no you cannot purchase by the quart. Why? No clue why Subaru has opted to do that unless its to help the dealer network make money. With that being said, I run Motul (Even though I'm an AMSOIL dealer) in my driveline because they are one of the only companies I found with a 75W-80 GL5. AMSOIL doesn't make it at this time.
Fuchs also makes a 75w80 GL5 spec fluid if you can't get Motul.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Cbidwell91

Thanks for the reply. Already did both differentials a few months ago using the 75w90 Subaru branded oil...hence my comment about noticeable decrease in mpg.

One would think since Subaru touts itself as an environmental conscience company...they would make any product which maximizes mpg available for the diy'er in usable quantities. My 2019 took a 6% hit to mpg ~ 2 mpg after the diff oil change.

Next time you're in Cherry Hill and pass by Doll's office...drop a suggestion into the suggestion box posted outside his office to make the 75w80 available to the consumer in usable quantities. Change only happens when it is brought to the forefront. Every little bit helps in the fight to change the environmental course.

I will look into the motul for next time...thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cbidwell91

Thanks for the reply. Already did both differentials a few months ago using the 75w90 Subaru branded oil...hence my comment about noticeable decrease in mpg.

One would think since Subaru touts itself as an environmental conscience company...they would make any product which maximizes mpg available for the diy'er in usable quantities. My 2019 took a 6% hit to mpg ~ 2 mpg after the diff oil change.

Next time you're in Cherry Hill and pass by Doll's office...drop a suggestion into the suggestion box posted outside his office to make the 75w80 available to the consumer in usable quantities. Change only happens when it is brought to the forefront. Every little bit helps in the fight to change the environmental course.

I will look into the motul for next time...thanks for the tip.
I'm right there with you. Subaru's have been running the 75W-80 in most of their cars for years now and we still can't get it in quarts. Its a PIA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts