5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happen to anyone else on the Forum. Last December I noticed a large 1/2" gap between the window and the Front Lower Cowl (Large Black Plastic piece that keeps water out of the engine bay). Brought to the dealership and it was replaced under warranty with a new parts. 3 Months later, SoCal recently had a winter storm consisting of low 50's temp and rain. I was inspecting my windshield wipers and noticed a small gap in the center of the Cowl again. It appears as if the part is warping from Heat? I tried to push the part back in place, but it will not catch behind the windshield.

Car is garage kept and parked in a structure when I'm at work. No, I don't own a cat. Just wondering if Anyone else have this issue? Its probably something that most people don't notice it until you are checking your wipers or cleaning your windshield during fill ups. Feel free to go out to take a look and post back here. Car is an 2018 Sport MTX with just 6K miles on it.

I'm wondering if the Engine heat is causing it to expand, and its got no where to expand to but upward/outward?

Thank you for looking at thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with my wiper cowl cover. I have been trying to resolve this issue with the dealer for a while now, still no solution.. I have posted a complaint on NTSHA regarding this issue. Hopefully more people complain so Subaru can finally resolve this problem.

Here's the link to 2018 Subaru Impreza complaints page, look at the most recent one. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/SUBARU/IMPREZA/SW/AWD#complaints

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have the same problem with my wiper cowl cover. I have been trying to resolve this issue with the dealer for a while now, still no solution.. I have posted a complaint on NTSHA regarding this issue. Hopefully more people complain so Subaru can finally resolve this problem.

Here's the link to 2018 Subaru Impreza complaints page, look at the most recent one. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/SUBARU/IMPREZA/SW/AWD#complaints

Hey, I'm sorry that you are also experiencing this issue as well. Irvine Subaru replaced mine a second time without asking any questions as my car now is barely climbing toward 7K miles and it warped within 3 months.. I agree that Subaru needs to issue out a revision part as it warps wayyyy to easily. I also feel that the Plastic clips on the back is not long enough to compensate for the heat expansion and cooling and looses contact with the back of the windshield.

I wonder whether if it is just a small batch of people that has this issues as not many people have chimed in, or if people even noticed this issue at all?

Has yours been replaced before, or is the dealership just giving you the run around? I will also report my issue on the NHTSA website when I get home, and will give yall an update in the upcoming weeks to see if the 2nd repair holds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Same issue happened to my 2017 Sport-Tech soon after purchase from the dealership. The rubber seal on the cowl was not flat to the windshield, allowing water, rain, snow, ice or windshield water fluid into and under it. This is terrible, bc that would damage the seal and cause rusting, among other issues. I quickly brought it into the dealership and they ordered a replacement cowl and re/re the part a few weeks after. I suggest you do that right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
update...

My dealership ordered a replacement part and installed it. A week later the part once again buckled at the center and separated from the windshield. For the third attempt they once again ordered another part for me and had me take the car to a windshield shop to have install it permanently. The windshield place used an adhesive on the connection between the clips on the cowl and the slots under the glass to hold it in place. So far it has held up great! Hopefully I don't have to replace my windshield anytime soon, otherwise I will be ordering a new cowl as well.. Subaru should really address this issue officially.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem on my 2018 Touring. After reading the forum responses I figured it's a waste of time trying to get it fixed by the dealer unless Subaru comes up with a revised design. I applied a thick bead of Permatex black RTV silicone sealant along the underside of the cowl panel and the slots under the glass as previously mentioned, and taped it to the windshield for 24 hours until it cured. I didn't fit the panel clips to the body until after the sealant cured as it looks like fitting them puts tension on the cowl panel and pulls it forward away from the glass. So far so good, it hasn't lifted up after a couple of weeks of highway driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah thats a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I would have attempted to fix this issue myself, but since the car was still basically new at the time I'd figure it was Subaru's responsibility. Hopefully they release a revised cowl part to address this though. I don't want to have to replace my cowl if my windshield breaks again. Hopefully that adhesive lasts a long time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem with my 2018 Impreza had a replacement and that lasted till I left the shop been talked to Subaru yesterday and somebody was going to call me back never happen I have had 5 Subarus not a rich person by any means but my son sells at Syracuse and its not my first auto at 73 been around but Subaru special rep thinks svc people can fix it car is covered or in the garage but have a 2019 Legacy limited used to fixing my own problem with body work or engine not today hope my post is what it should be going back to svc again and if i get a fix will post
update...

My dealership ordered a replacement part and installed it. A week later the part once again buckled at the center and separated from the windshield. For the third attempt they once again ordered another part for me and had me take the car to a windshield shop to have install it permanently. The windshield place used an adhesive on the connection between the clips on the cowl and the slots under the glass to hold it in place. So far it has held up great! Hopefully I don't have to replace my windshield anytime soon, otherwise I will be ordering a new cowl as well.. Subaru should really address this issue officially.
someone put dumdum between the cowel and windshield doesn't work in the cold weather

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive had mine replaced about 5 times. The longest one has lasted is about 2 months. Going in again this Friday to get it replaced yet again. I hope this one stays put....
I thought I was the only one that has this issue. I always look at other sparked Subarus and they all seem to be nice and in place. I thought my maybe my windshield was too short...

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport
5 Posts
Same problem on my 2018 Touring. After reading the forum responses I figured it's a waste of time trying to get it fixed by the dealer unless Subaru comes up with a revised design. I applied a thick bead of Permatex black RTV silicone sealant along the underside of the cowl panel and the slots under the glass as previously mentioned, and taped it to the windshield for 24 hours until it cured. I didn't fit the panel clips to the body until after the sealant cured as it looks like fitting them puts tension on the cowl panel and pulls it forward away from the glass. So far so good, it hasn't lifted up after a couple of weeks of highway driving.
How long did the sealant hold up for you? I just did this after the dealer tried three times in a matter of two weeks. I was fed up so I just applied the sealant myself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How long did the sealant hold up for you? I just did this after the dealer tried three times in a matter of two weeks. I was fed up so I just applied the sealant myself.
Cappehh

I used permatex silicone sealant as well. Going on one year and it looks like new.

Dealerships are a waste of time and good air.

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
117 Posts
Just had mine replaced at the dealer. Tried the permatex stuff but the cowl was too warped; I couldn't get it to seat properly.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport
5 Posts
View attachment 24299 View attachment 24300 I noticed water in the inside of the windshield then saw this...
That's exactly what mine looked like. I actually tried the epoxy and I did not do it right or something because it popped back out a couple weeks later. My windshield ended up getting a crack again and I went with safelite for the replacement. They installed the off-brand windshield and got the cowl to properly set. Haven't had an issue with the cowl since safelite did the installation. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Red Impreza Sport
113 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts