5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what other people are getting. I am driving in Toronto, and am getting in 12.5 l/100 km. (29.4 mpg).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your values are in the ballpark and not unusual. A new vehicle is not "broken in" and cold affects mileage greatly. Besides the Subaru info I have a Scan Gauge hooked into the OBD port and get just about the same values. Best mileage seems to be in cool, Fall conditions. High atmospheric pressure, more O2 to use and reduced friction compared to winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, mine is terrible. I live in Maine so i am not driving in a true city, mostly back roads. My gas mileage is 22.5 MPG. Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get that cold weather plays a part, but my wifes 2017 Forester with turbo get better gas mileage. Seems like there is something more to it than weather.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are you often getting on and off the accelerator in the back roads? How do you typically drive? Heavy footed or slow take off and conservative?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I'm being honest probably a little of both. I traded in a 2015 impreza sport limited for my 2017 limited and I drive them both the same. The 2015 got 28.7 MPG, I was expecting to get about the same if not a little better with the new car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @Tom! I'm sure that the winter conditions are to blame. I'm at 1,200 km, so it should be getting close to broken in.

Sounds like you think that the built-in digital readout is fairly accurate? I read elsewhere that those things are not to be trusted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do not know if they are accurate...or if mine is. I checked today the Scan Gauge, which read 28 mpg and the Impreza trip meters A & B for their average mpg's. They were 26 and 27. So depending when they all got zeroed and started their ciphering, I'd say they were all 3 in the ballpark.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, I don't closely track fuel usage. The Scan Gauge keeps a running mpg average unless you zero it out. I assume the Impreza does the same for the 2 trip counter positions. Some day I'll need to do a fuel usage versus miles to cross check these gauges, but I'm lazy and not terribly interested or concerned.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tried a shorter 100+ mile trip (55 deg F) on I79 yesterday 3/9/17 from north of Pittsburgh PA to Cabela's near Wheeling WV and back to see just how close to the 37 EPA highway figure I could get for the 17 Impreza 5-door Premium CVT. Road is posted at 55 alot so folks only go 70 mph!!!! Funny how they go that same speed even when its posted at 70mph? Also wanted to check out the new snow tires at higher speeds. Neighborhood trips up and down our hills here are bringing mid to low 20s.

I had done this trip a few times before in a 2012 Mazda Miata Grand Touring 6 speed automatic and got mid 30s mpg - 2 liter engine, roof up, 93 octane, summer tires and no AC running. Not cold but chilly enough that the roof was up. One Miata trip done more slowly in traffic was 37 mpg. Now the EPA rating for this car was like 28 highway so some day I need to see just how the gov does this stuff. No apparent cheater software appears to be running as I really beat the gov estimates. Maybe I should ask the Volkswagen brass how it gets done!

No comments about an automatic transmission in a Miata please - it was a requirement of my dear wife. It does have paddles and the console stick to shift it. It also had to have heated seats and the power hard top! If you are fortunate to have a spouse tell you "Go buy a Miata before you're too old to get in and out of it" smile and just do it - you are maybe as lucky as I was/am. It does not work very well in snow however, hence the new Subaru purchase to keep it company in the garage.

I wondered how the Impreza could perform in comparison on our rolling hills with it being a bit heavier and not quite as slippery looking, wearing new snow tires and at only 500 miles total. Speedometer matched a Garmin perfectly.

Got 35 mpg according to the Impreza trip computer. Gotta try a 55 mph Ohio flat road trip for that CVT high gearing to work better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well that is promising! Maybe the Impreza just isn't so efficient with hills?
Oddly, my sw-cheating VW Golf TDI's mpg seemed kind of unphased by hilly driving - perhaps because of the higher torque. But, most likely, because it was spewing out 40x NO emissions going up those hills :-D .

·
Registered
730 Posts
Maybe try getting a full tank of gas & reset the trip distance. Wait until it's near empty to fill up again & calculate your MPG that way by fuel amount to fill. I don't trust the vehicle MPG gauge. Mine reads 22.5 - 29.5 MPG for non highway driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My commute to work is 73 miles roundtrip on flat roads and I'm averaging 29.5. It slowly has been climbing. I installed a K&N air filter a few weeks ago. Little change since then.
I'm a little heavy on the gas which I'm sure effects the gas mileage. I have just under 4k miles on the car now

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey - is the EPA reading my posts ????

Tried a shorter 100+ mile trip (55 deg F) on I79 yesterday 3/9/17 from north of Pittsburgh PA to Cabela's near Wheeling WV and back to see just how close to the 37 EPA highway figure I could get for the 17 Impreza 5-door Premium CVT... I wondered how the Impreza could perform in comparison on our rolling hills.... Got 35 mpg according to the Impreza trip computer.

I'm just looking around today for the cargo capacity with the seats down for the Impreza 5-door (summer vacation plans have just firmed up) and it looks like someone (at the EPA???) has reduced the gas mileage estimates!!!!!!!!! Was/is 28/37/31 city/hwy/combined on my window sticker and now I'm seeing 24/32/27 on Edmund's. Similar lower estimates on the .gov site for the manual transmission (no CVTs as of noon 3/18) of 24/31/26.

These seem to be a bit more realistic but that a 13%-14% drop :frown2:. A quick research indicates that the manufacturer provides these figures and the EPA may get around to verifying them on a treadmill like test.

Oh and the cargo capacity with the seats down is 2472 ears of corn - maybe 62.4 cubic feet by my eyeball estimate. And the vacation, 3 adults for one week at Deer Valley YMCA family camp with maybe a bike or two. Joined by my two more adult family and two grand-kids. Now to get that old Yakima roof-rack crossbar working.

·
Registered
34 Posts
See my posting on Yakima roof rack adaption to the '17 Impreza HB. You can certainly spend the coin for a store bought method, but under $10 of hardware and some tinkering can provide a secure method of getting the cross bars attached.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am driving 80% on highway. I am averaging 7.3 L / 100. I am driving it heavy on hills and not holding back. (and this is in super cold temps here in Canada -24 wind chill) .When I use cruise I can get it down to 6.2 which is a bit higher than what I was getting with my civic, but not much. It's really great on gas so far. I am super impressed and I am coming from a civic.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts