5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Premium Hatchback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last time I took my 22 Impreza for its complementary service, I was told I would need a fuel induction service. It was not going to be covered and I would need to pay $500 for the service. My advisor told me it was needed for the car to continue running well and to increase fuel economy. Told him I would think about it knowing I was not going to get it until I did research. He then went to tell me that I was a chill guy and he liked my vibe and told me he would give me a discount and that he would put it in my paperwork so I would only pay $250. That’s when I felt something was off.
So I turn to you guys, all the research I’ve don’t hasn’t lead me to anything nor a time frame of when and if I should do the fuel induction service. My mpg kinda sucks, I’m not getting the full 37 mpg since I do a lot do highway driving and I’m not being speed racer. I use the mpg bar on the cluster as well. What do you guys think?
My car currently has 15k on it and it’s next service so you’ll be at 18k

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
"Fuel Induction Service & Subaru" Google Search:
Outback Forums Post 1
Outback Forums Post 2
Reddit r/Subaru

Even at $250, it seems like you're overpaying for what seems to be the intake valve cleaning... @cbidwell91 has a thread regarding this here. I'd recommend reading up on that first. Carbon buildup especially when you're getting close to 18k miles may recommend this service. Typical buildup on our engines as they're not port-fuel injected (the type that sprays fuel in the intake), they're direct-injected (sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber).

Normal price for this service looks around $120-$180, $250 is too steep, and $500 is almost a scam for the minimal time/effort. They aren't wrong about you needing this service for fuel economy and for it to run well.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
423 Posts
FWIW, the TSB around carbon cleaning issued by SOA has you monitor cylinder roughness while performing the cleaning procedure. It's not uncommon for multiple attempts to be done in order to achieve passing results. I think the overall cost is able to fluctuate based on the amount of product used and labor hours taken to complete the job. Since I do my own every oil change, I don't hook up my SSM4 and monitor roughness. I just run a bottle through it and call it a day. Higher mileage vehicles will likely have higher bills.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Fuel INDUCTION service? Are they putting fuel someplace where it hasn't been before??? I'd think that a 'fuel INDUCTION service" would be a fancy term for filling up at a full-serve gas station...

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
243 Posts
$26 for stuff. Rest must be labor costs:

my daughter's 2020 is at 31k miles now. Haven't been to the dealer except once for an oil change with a $35 coupon. I just got another coupon in the mail so I'll probably bring her car in next month for it's 2 year anniversary and see if they try to offer it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was at my dealership for an oil change and state inspection today. I asked about carbon cleaning while there and was quoted $206, which seems reasonable. The Impreza runs very well, so I'll probably wait until I reach 20,000 miles.

BTW, my 2019 Sport is now 3 years and 14975 miles old. Because I'm retired and don't drive much, it's on the warranty-required 6-month oil change interval. The previous oil change was 1474 miles ago. Wow...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was at my dealership for an oil change and state inspection today. I asked about carbon cleaning while there and was quoted $206, which seems reasonable. The Impreza runs very well, so I'll probably wait until I reach 20,000 miles.

BTW, my 2019 Sport is now 3 years and 14975 miles old. Because I'm retired and don't drive much, it's on the warranty-required 6-month oil change interval. The previous oil change was 1474 miles ago. Wow...
I feel your pain. My 19 sport is just over 13k. Last oil change was probably at 2k miles. This one might be around the same or less.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
152 Posts
68k so far and never did the service. Engine runs fine, fuel economy is fine. I ordered the engine cleaning kit once. One of the bottles cracked open in shipping, leaked everywhere including my interior carpet, so I tossed it and never did it. Those chemicals smell bloody awful btw.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
243 Posts
Probably won't do it to the Subaru. Not having issues. I never brought my '18 or '19 BMWs in for walnut blasting either. The '18 went to 75k with no issues before I sold it. The '19 is only at 30k with no issues.

I never go to crappy gas stations, so that probably helps.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
183 Posts
I'm going to start doing it. I noticed after seafoaming the throttle body and crankcase the valve clatter on acceleration quieted down alot. It's almost non existent now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts