5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My lease on my Ford Fusion Energi in February and ready to buy a car for the first time in 10 years. I travel up to the mountains every month and need a good AWD car. The Impreza fits my budget and the trims I'm going for, which are the Sport or Limited. I'm looking to get all of the safety features that I can, power and leather seats, and that sweet eight inch touch screen upgrade. The years I'm possibly looking at are 2019, 2020, 2021. Not sure if I'm going to go new or used. I plan on hanging on the car for 20 plus years so I don't really care about the depreciation value of the car. Any tips from the community on working with dealerships or online sales would be great. Glad I found this cool community and can't wait to get involved in the great conversations going on.

marcowhereu :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My lease on my Ford Fusion Energi in February and ready to buy a car for the first time in 10 years. I travel up to the mountains every month and need a good AWD car. The Impreza fits my budget and the trims I'm going for, which are the Sport or Limited. I'm looking to get all of the safety features that I can, power and leather seats, and that sweet eight inch touch screen upgrade. The years I'm possibly looking at are 2019, 2020, 2021. Not sure if I'm going to go new or used. I plan on hanging on the car for 20 plus years so I don't really care about the depreciation value of the car. Any tips from the community on working with dealerships or online sales would be great. Glad I found this cool community and can't wait to get involved in the great conversations going on.

marcowhereu :)
If you "don't care about depreciation" and plan on keeping it for 20 years then (if I were you) I would buy a brand new car and get everything you want in the color you want etc. etc.

As far as Subaru taking over your lease I believe (not sure) that they just buy it out and add the money owed to what you are financing. So you will end up paying off that lease in the long run.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Also if you plan for more power I think the Highest trim for the Impreza comes with a 2.5L opposed to the 2.0L, but mind you the 2.5L Impreza is also CVT only.
For 2021 Crosstrek yes, for Impreza they are all 2.0L.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Buy new if you plan to keep a long time. Also get the CVT, it's a great Automatic and it reduces the chances of you having to get rid of it early if others need to drive, your knee has issues, or if you get sick of driving a stick.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Buy new if you plan to keep a long time. Also get the CVT, it's a great Automatic and it reduces the chances of you having to get rid of it early if others need to drive, your knee has issues, or if you get sick of driving a stick.
Regretting not getting a manual transmission? Looks like some rationalizing.

I'm always talking with people about their cars and hearing that they wish they'd gotten a stick shift but didn't because someone talked them out of it. When I bought my previous car, the salesman couldn't pull it up front for me after they had washed it. He didn't know how to drive a manual.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had tons of Manual cars and raced alot at tracks. In this situation I'd say it's 50/50. Having manual is nice, but then again you are talking a 2.0 NA car sadly. CVT also has it boos and pros you'll get alot more options with CVT currently. Eyesight etc remote start and some other bells and whistles. I'd say the MT if you don't care about these little things. If you want more options grab the CVT. I personally have the CVT at the time I wanted a MT, but it was really hard to find a Sport with CVT at my time. I gave in and got that CVT with every option in the books. I don't regret it at all. Paddle shift is fun when pushing her hard. I have my eye on a STI if they make the hatch again instant trade in though haha!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, does anyone have any recommendations on dealing with the dealership to get the best price? Should I be checking multiple dealerships to get the best deal? Any help would be appreciated. 💸🤑🤑💰

·
Registered
204 Posts
You'll have pretty damn good odds a lot are setup like that. When dealing with the dealer ship get Pre-Approved though your bank or some where you trust and go to the dealer ship with your approval. You'll skip the whole bargain phase and make things a lot easier. Also have a decent down I did $1,500 but eh it helps. Also get the Starlink Subscription remote start is used daily for me. I think it's 375 for 3 years.

Just fuel for yoru thought check out the sport models they have the sway bar in the back and offer a much sportier feel. I also went this route cause I don't care for leather seats.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
Thank you for the pre-approved tip at my bank. I will definitely do that. Will I be able to bargain for a better price if I do that?
What it does it take part of the negotiation out. Don't tell them you have the financing at first though, just hammer out a price for the car. When that is done then tell them you have your own financing. They might even be able to beat the percentage because they will shop it around and your bank won't.

Oh, and after you have nailed down the price ask them for some of the extras you want, cargo cover, cargo floor liner, mud guards etc.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
287 Posts
If you "don't care about depreciation" and plan on keeping it for 20 years then (if I were you) I would buy a brand new car and get everything you want in the color you want etc. etc.
This 100%. 20 years is a long time to keep a vehicle, so you should get exactly what you want. I bought new this time (mine's a 2019), since I end up keeping most of my vehicles to the 200k mark.

Also if you plan for more power I think the Highest trim for the CrossTrek comes with a 2.5L opposed to the 2.0L, but mind you the 2.5L CrossTrek is also CVT only.
If I were to be buying right now, I would have likely gone with the CrossTrek for ground clearance reasons with the snow we have here in Colorado. Also that extra 30hp from the 2.5l is pretty appealing!

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on dealing with the dealership to get the best price? Should I be checking multiple dealerships to get the best deal? Any help would be appreciated. 💸🤑🤑💰
When I purchased mine, I browsed multiple local dealerships' websites and contacted them for pricing on various Imprezas. I kept track of each dealership and their pricing, and ended up going with a dealership that through in lifetime powertrain warranty with all new purchases. I got my financing thru Subaru (1.9% at the time), so check on what kind of financing Subaru can offer. Might be 0%, or at least better than what your bank can offer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Regretting not getting a manual transmission? Looks like some rationalizing.

I'm always talking with people about their cars and hearing that they wish they'd gotten a stick shift but didn't because someone talked them out of it. When I bought my previous car, the salesman couldn't pull it up front for me after they had washed it. He didn't know how to drive a manual.
Nope, I still have a 6 speed Manual in my 350z which I drive on weekends. Shifting hundreds of times a day in a daily driver to average 22 mph isn't worth it to me anymore now that the auto gets better mileage and performance. The novelty of a stick got old after 20 years especially when automatics started to offer better fuel economy and performance. Back when the choice was a 4 speed auto with no manual mode or a 5 speed stick I always bought the stick, but that hasn't been the case in years.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
227 Posts
I emailed a bunch of dealerships about cars and the one that actually reads the part where I put in I work nights, don’t call, please use email is the one that I buy from. The ones that call me I tell them you just woke me up, remove my number, I’m not buying from you. Subaru has 0% for 63 months right now. Can’t beat it. We were going to put 8k down but we just did 6k and will use the leftover to tint her windows and put back in the bank.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nope, I still have a 6 speed Manual in my 350z which I drive on weekends. Shifting hundreds of times a day in a daily driver to average 22 mph isn't worth it to me anymore now that the auto gets better mileage and performance. The novelty of a stick got old after 20 years especially when automatics started to offer better fuel economy and performance. Back when the choice was a 4 speed auto with no manual mode or a 5 speed stick I always bought the stick, but that hasn't been the case in years.
This thread really isn't supposed to be about why you prefer a CVT. If the OP wanted a manual transmission (but he followed up he doesn't drive one) then the 5 speed in this car is a decent option that's available. If you consider a manual transmission a novelty and your traffic sucks, manual transmission probably isn't desirable for a long term daily driver for you. No reason to dispute that. If someone feels like a manual is a required part of driving a car, then they are in luck. Subaru still gives them a good option with the Impreza.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.