5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read & seen videos online, that if you put a fuse into the FWD fuse slot, it disengages the AWD system on some Subaru models. Does anyone know if our Impreza has this feature? I could not locate this "FWD" fuse slot in the engine area so possibly it does not, but still I am curious.

Attachments

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,101 Posts
I don't know for sure because this only applies to Automatics and I have a manual. The reason for it is, if you got a flat and had to use a mini spare tire, you were supposed to put the fuse in to put it in FWD. It was to prevent damage to the differentials because the smaller tire made the AWD system think a tire was slipping. I'm pretty sure it was on the 4EAT and 5EAT but not sure about the CVT though. My guess is if it is still a thing, the info would be in the owners manual.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I recall the days when one could force the system into FWD during the summertime with a fuse under the hood. That is when the Subaru AWD system was mostly electro-mechanical. (Manual xMissions used viscous-coupling in the center-diff)

I am pretty sure the ability to switch into FWD with a fuse under the hood has not been an 'option' for over 10 years.

Modern Subaru's use the antilock-brake system to control the AWD. Wheelspeed sensors detect tire-slippage and a signal is sent to apply the brake on spinning wheel. The action of open differentials send torque to the the other wheels. Additionally, engine-power may be cut to help regain traction.

You can think of the AWD system as antilock-braking system working backwards. (instead of slowing the vehicle down without tire-slippage, it pushes the vehicle forward by applying the brakes where slippage occurs.)

This means your BRAKING SYSTEM is vital to the AWD. Changing brake-fluid every 2-3 years is imperative.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks guys, more info than I asked for. I guess when towing, or using spare tire on the back is not going to be as destructive to the tranny as it was back in the day...
I double checked my engine fuse box today and didn't see any FWD slots labeled.

·
Registered
2020 Sport hatchback manual - Baltimore, MD
48 Posts
Heard about the fuse trick for towing older Subarus with the rear tires rotating.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks guys, more info than I asked for. I guess when towing, or using spare tire on the back is not going to be as destructive to the tranny as it was back in the day...
I double checked my engine fuse box today and didn't see any FWD slots labeled.
Disabled Subaru AWD cars can only be transported by flatbed. Conventional towing with either set of wheels on the ground damages the AWD system--see section 9-14 of the manual. Per the manual, it's possible to tow with all wheels on the ground, but that seems more theoretical than practical.

Peaty and BruceP are correct about the AWD fuse in previous generation Subarus with 4EAT or 5EAT transmissons. The fuse had to be used to disable the AWD system when driving with the space-saver spare. I had to do this once on my 2009 Outback. A relative, also with the same generation outback, drove his on the spare without taking it out of AWD and damaged the system.

·
ModFather
1,101 Posts
This is what it looks like. There is an empty slot you install a fuse to force it into FWD. This is from my kids 2001 Forester I'm working on this week.

Reactions: Dradeth

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Peaty, I'll take a picture of that compartment the next time I open it up. Perhaps my eyes are failing me and I wasn't able to locate it in the 2017. Was hoping there's a "secret" fuse that turns it into a batmobile.

·
ModFather
1,101 Posts
I suspect there isn't one on the newer models. I know on our 97 Outback it was just a little holder on the firewall marked FWD all up by its lonesome.

Reactions: Dradeth
1 - 10 of 10 Posts