5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have a 2019 Limited with 7000 miles and it seems to have the issue of getting stuck in a lower gear than it should be in. Like when I'm driving down a level road, starting from a stopped position and pressing the gas slightly, it doesn't seem to down shift at the correct point and just continues to rev up until i completely release my foot from the pedal for at least a couple seconds. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does this. Other times it drives like a "normal" car where it shifts correctly for the situation. Wondering if any others have experienced this and what I might be able to do to resolve it.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I'd take it to the dealership and have it checked out. It's new, you shouldn't have to worry about it whatsoever.

Just make sure that it's not a temp issue, the CVT needs to be at operating temperature (190F or so). And I'm confused about the "higher gear" part... like in 7th? It starts in 1st, of course, then stays in a lower gear until you stop pressing on the gas, like when you reach speed and you simply hold the pedal where it maintains the speed you want. This is how the CVT works in the Impreza.

When this happens are you still going forward as it "revs up"? If so, mine does the same. That's why I accelerate moderately brisk up to speed THEN lift... it causes the CVT to go to a higher ratio.

The CVT will also act the way you describe if you're on an up incline, even slight. Also, remember that the speed of the pedal's press affects how the CVT acts... going down the road at speed and want to get past someone, a quick jab of the pedal to 1/3 throttle will signal the CVT to shift... to a lower gear ratio.

I know you have 7k in it, but how the CVT works is too often misunderstood. I'm just throwing things out, not impuning your intelligence, btw.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi I have a 2019 Limited with 7000 miles and it seems to have the issue of getting stuck in a higher gear than it should be in. Like when I'm driving down a level road, starting from a stopped position and pressing the gas slightly, it doesn't seem to down shift at the correct point and just continues to rev up until i completely release my foot from the pedal for at least a couple seconds. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does this. Other times it drives like a "normal" car where it shifts correctly for the situation. Wondering if any others have experienced this and what I might be able to do to resolve it.
If your mechanically inclined, you can pull the battery and replug the power after an hour. To reset the ecu. Or take it to the dealer to ask. Up to you. Not sure about the issue though, have never had the pleasure of driving a CVT trans car. Never appealed to me to have a car who's transmission was never designed to "shift", be artificially programed to do just that.

As I said, you can either pull the battery to reset the brain, or take it into the dealer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will definitely try disconnecting the battery and see what happens.

It's difficult to describe but feels completely unnatural when it happens. I can understand when going even slightly uphill that the car will stay in a lower gear until either speeding up more or leveling out. Also sometimes when I lift and resume pressing the gas it resumes at the same gear.

I should probably take into the dealer as you guys suggested.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
417 Posts
Will definitely try disconnecting the battery and see what happens.

It's difficult to describe but feels completely unnatural when it happens. I can understand when going even slightly uphill that the car will stay in a lower gear until either speeding up more or leveling out. Also sometimes when I lift and resume pressing the gas it resumes at the same gear.

I should probably take into the dealer as you guys suggested.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Disconnecting the battery doesn't change the CVT's TCU (Transmission Control Unit). It resets the ECU (Engine Control Unit).

I'm convinced your expectations for your Impreza"s CVT are based on other transmissions and that what you have observed is, actually, normal behavior.

I've had 5 Subarus with a CVT so far, and ALL were different from any other transmission i've ever know... AND different behaviors from the different CVTs in all 5 cars. The Impreza having the most different of all. It doesn't behave like even I have come to know CVT behavior.

But after careful observation and analysis the Impreza's "puzzling" behavior is smart, being optimized to make the best use of its limited horselpower while always keeping fuel mileage as a priority. My advice is not to second guess what it's doing, although lifting briefly when you're close to a chosen speed then resuming at a stead, lower throttle level will enable the balance to shift to better gas milesge. If you want to see the specific 'gear' it's in, just flip the shift lever to Manual and the center display over the steering wheel will report the current gear. It won't change anything, but at least you can know more about which gear it's actually in.

Long story short, your dealership is going to advise you that your Impreza is working normally and that nothing's wrong. Having read your other posts it is clear you don't prefer owning the car. That bias is causing normal Impreza operations , though admittedly different from other vehicles, especially those which have formed your expectations, to appear ABnormal to you. Give it a little more time and appreciate what it CAN do for you. I've had a few SUVs (which you state you want) and anything with simiar performance and trim level will likely get worse fuel mileage and offer minimal storage advantages. If off-road is your thing, however, you can't beat an SUV... but it appears this is a commuter vehicle and IMO that's where it shines... given its amenities and overall highway performance.

I'm a little saddened to see a new owner unhappy with their Subaru, because I've been there. Those I only kept a year or less but waited until I was in a more advantaged place trade-in wise. Selling it outright right now is tough as Subaru is offering (still?) simply great deals and 0% interest rate on the '19s. That a big hurdle... IMO. YMMV

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disconnecting the battery doesn't change the CVT's TCU (Transmission Control Unit). It resets the ECU (Engine Control Unit).

I'm convinced your expectations for your Impreza"s CVT are based on other transmissions and that what you have observed is, actually, normal behavior.

I've had 5 Subarus with a CVT so far, and ALL were different from any other transmission i've ever know... AND different behaviors from the different CVTs in all 5 cars. The Impreza having the most different of all. It doesn't behave like even I have come to know CVT behavior.

But after careful observation and analysis the Impreza's "puzzling" behavior is smart, being optimized to make the best use of its limited horselpower while always keeping fuel mileage as a priority. My advice is not to second guess what it's doing, although lifting briefly when you're close to a chosen speed then resuming at a stead, lower throttle level will enable the balance to shift to better gas milesge. If you want to see the specific 'gear' it's in, just flip the shift lever to Manual and the center display over the steering wheel will report the current gear. It won't change anything, but at least you can know more about which gear it's actually in.

Long story short, your dealership is going to advise you that your Impreza is working normally and that nothing's wrong. Having read your other posts it is clear you don't prefer owning the car. That bias is causing normal Impreza operations , though admittedly different from other vehicles, especially those which have formed your expectations, to appear ABnormal to you. Give it a little more time and appreciate what it CAN do for you. I've had a few SUVs (which you state you want) and anything with simiar performance and trim level will likely get worse fuel mileage and offer minimal storage advantages. If off-road is your thing, however, you can't beat an SUV... but it appears this is a commuter vehicle and IMO that's where it shines... given its amenities and overall highway performance.

I'm a little saddened to see a new owner unhappy with their Subaru, because I've been there. Those I only kept a year or less but waited until I was in a more advantaged place trade-in wise. Selling it outright right now is tough as Subaru is offering (still?) simply great deals and 0% interest rate on the '19s. That a big hurdle... IMO. YMMV
I really can't say with any certainty what is normal for this car since it's so different than what I've driven previously. But this, including other posts I've made here are things that I have observed thus far and stand out as abnormal. That is why it is important that I gather feedback from others to see what's what. Definitely do not want to sell the car right now. Not only will I lose a lot of money but I'd like to give it a little more time to see if some of these "issues" begin to fade away as I continue to drive it. If I still experience them 6-12 months down the road then I'll know Subaru just isn't the right car for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate to bring back an old thread but wanted to provide an update.

I just had my 12k service and 2 recalls performed on my car (fuel pump and ignition coil reprogramming). The odd CVT behavior I was experiencing before seems to no longer be happening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts