5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in your opinion, will the global platform transition eventually increase cross compatibility of drivetrain and cosmetics?

I mean, right now it doesn’t look like it’ll really eliminate many incompatibilities In those regards, but who knows what else will become “global” after a full implementation across all models.

Anyone optimistic enough to believe we’ll be swapping in FA20s with our eyes closed? What do you think the future holds?

I’d like to think it’s not far-fetched if we’re patient, but obviously still not going to be immediate or going to be a DIY plug and play job. I just want to believe a lot of the headaches of this kind of swap will be eliminated over time offering us more customizability.

I ask just out of curiosity. I’m not necessarily “disappointed” in the new FB20 design, because I didn’t even bother researching it when I bought the car. I’m not a power and speed guy but I do feel an emptiness in this car. I did get mine with the CVT, which I honestly think isn’t all bad, but it doesn’t help my feelings. Ultimately I am just a little shocked.

I feel like dissociating the WRX name from Impreza models didn’t require stripping it down to what it has become. The 5th gen Impreza is arguably very sleek, and it’s begging to put just a tad bit more power to those wheels.

What are your thoughts? Who’s entirely pessimistic about the platform? Who’s excited to see what the future holds?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Ascent is nothing more than a stretched Impreza with some modifications for towing. All the products on the SGP share a lot of components inside and out. Most car manufactures have adopted this. Honda has it's ACE structure VW has there MGB? All these platforms have also been strengthen to meet or exceed current crash standards

·
Registered
104 Posts
The SGP will eventually take Subaru to all electric...

Subaru will ride out internal combustion engines with the Boxer, but it wont be long for all hybrid, then all electric.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SGP will eventually take Subaru to all electric...

Subaru will ride out internal combustion engines with the Boxer, but it wont be long for all hybrid, then all electric.
Is that such a bad thing?

I’d bet they’ll keep hybrids for a while into the future and phase out setups with only internal combustion. But frankly electric cars engineered well can also perform very well, which I look forward to.

Overall the entire plan seems like a good long term marketing option that can open a lot of doors. For one, electric cars won’t get better and become more practical if nobody is designing new models and selling them. A manufacturer can’t get any practical outside feedback. Next, the green movement is a noble move for a car manufacturer known for their sustained use of a uniquely designed internal combustion engine. It’s a nice touch to everything else subaru offers consumers to show they care and retain loyalty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ascent is nothing more than a stretched Impreza with some modifications for towing. All the products on the SGP share a lot of components inside and out. Most car manufactures have adopted this. Honda has it's ACE structure VW has there MGB? All these platforms have also been strengthen to meet or exceed current crash standards
Any idea if those cookie cutter platforms for Honda and VW have made it easier to do modifications, such as the hypothetical powertrain swap I referenced in the original post?

I just wanna know if this concept of a global model is as exciting as I think it is. I wasn’t familiar with it from other manufacturers so it’s all new to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any idea if those cookie cutter platforms for Honda and VW have made it easier to do modifications, such as the hypothetical powertrain swap I referenced in the original post?

I just wanna know if this concept of a global model is as exciting as I think it is. I wasn’t familiar with it from other manufacturers so it’s all new to me.
No, the only thing that uniform platforms accomplish is making it easier and cheaper for automakers.

Especially smaller makers like Subaru.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the only thing that uniform platforms accomplish is making it easier and cheaper for automakers.

Especially smaller makers like Subaru.
One can dream, I guess.

if I didn’t know any better, the new Impreza would be a real mockery with a lot of false hopes. Glad I didn’t settle on my 2020 Impreza with big hopes and dreams, having not done much prior research. I really just bought it because of availability and circumstance.

And fortunately I do like how the 5th gen Impreza comes from factory, I think it functions really well. However it is missing some genuine Subaru character compared to the rest of the Impreza heritage. But as it improves it will regain enough to make up for those gaps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One can dream, I guess.

if I didn’t know any better, the new Impreza would be a real mockery with a lot of false hopes. Glad I didn’t settle on my 2020 Impreza with big hopes and dreams, having not done much prior research. I really just bought it because of availability and circumstance.

And fortunately I do like how the 5th gen Impreza comes from factory, I think it functions really well. However it is missing some genuine Subaru character compared to the rest of the Impreza heritage. But as it improves it will regain enough to make up for those gaps.
This is my first Subaru, I bought I t because it's something of a throwback... Well for a modern car....
I like the simplicity of my MT, these types of cars wont be around much longer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is my first Subaru, I bought I t because it's something of a throwback... Well for a modern car....
I like the simplicity of my MT, these types of cars wont be around much longer.
Are you referring to manual transmission cars won't be around much longer, gas cars, or Subarus?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you referring to manual transmission cars won't be around much longer, gas cars, or Subarus?
I think from context he meant MTs.

These CVTs give folks my age (21y) the impression that they know how to drive manual, without actually driving manual. I had actually driven almost all MT until now.

i don’t dislike the CVT and I don’t dislike manuals, but they both have their pros and cons I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts