5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped my '17 Impreza puppy in to the dealership for its first oil change... for free, of course.

4,100 miles, 10 months old.

The service guy warned me that I should bring it in every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

I winked at him and said, "yeah, whatever, I don't drive it that much, I'm sure it will be fine."
He winked back, but said nothing. He went on to say that my car is in great shape and there's nothing to report.

I was going to mention the CVT shudder at low speeds that we're all experiencing, but I assumed he would just reply back, "Get used to it, that's the way a Subaru CVT acts, buddy." So, I kept my mouth shut.

Exciting story huh?!?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Picking up my 2017 5-door limited and comes with 2 years / 24K miles FREE SERVICE. Sweet!

Reactions: Jojo613

·
Registered
320 Posts
Doing my first today, I have half that many miles but a lot of driving planned for this fall. Since I'm a bit old fashioned about doing the first oil change early, it sets me up nicely to head in to the fall without having to worry about it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i bought mine back in march but i drive ALOT

im at 14.5k, mostly highway as i drive 34 miles in one direction for work. i've had 2 oil changes so far. i was told every 6k. but i've done every 5k just because the amount of driving i do per session. my dealer gave me life time oil changes with no limits. I kidded with them saying that i'll come by every 500 miles. they said they'd honor it but i'd probably become that annoying customer. good laugh lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought mine back in march but i drive ALOT

im at 14.5k, mostly highway as i drive 34 miles in one direction for work. i've had 2 oil changes so far. i was told every 6k. but i've done every 5k just because the amount of driving i do per session. my dealer gave me life time oil changes with no limits. I kidded with them saying that i'll come by every 500 miles. they said they'd honor it but i'd probably become that annoying customer. good laugh lol.
70 mile RT commute?!? I hope you have the EyeSight Adaptive Cruise Control! JEEEZUSSS

·
Registered
80 Posts
It took two months, but my wife finally reached 1000 miles on the odometer over the holiday weekend. I took the opportunity to change the oil and install a Fumoto drain valve. I change the oil in all of my new vehicles early in their lives. Given that my wife's commute to work is very short, that puts places her cars in the "severe driving" category which typically calls for accelerated oil changes, anyway.

I wish that I could say it was full of drama. Aside from a little oil missing the drain hole in the Primitive Racing skid plate that I'd previously installed, it was pretty much a non event.

I'm hoping that this will be the last oil change that I do to it. With the drain valve in place and a correctly sized oil filter wrench on hand, there's no reason why Mrs. Longbed can't do it herself from now on.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So if the O.P. didn't follow the recommended interval of 6 mo or 6K, whichever comes first, do they void their warranty?

·
Registered
15 Posts
70 mile RT commute?!? I hope you have the EyeSight Adaptive Cruise Control! JEEEZUSSS

I do 100 miles a day r/t. Just about to turn 30k in my 2016 Crosstrek and that I picked up a year ago. That's with it being parked for a month as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if the O.P. didn't follow the recommended interval of 6 mo or 6K, whichever comes first, do they void their warranty?
Interesting question...
Technically, if you read through Subaru's warranty site info, you may have to show proof of regularly performed maintenance if a problem occurs:
FREE Subaru Owner Manual | Boston Subaru Dealer | Planet Subaru Hanover Massachusetts

Highlights:

Your Maintenance Responsibilities

It is your responsibility to have all scheduled inspection and maintenance services performed at the times and mileages recommended at the back of this Booklet and to retain proof that inspection and maintenance services are performed when recommended. One method of proof is for you to have each maintenance service record contained in this Booklet validated at the proper time or mileage by the Authorized SUBARU Retailer or other service facility performing the service. You are also responsible for checking such items as fluid levels and tire pressures regularly.

And...

Damage or Malfunctions Due to Lack of Maintenance or Failure to Follow Instructions

These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to a failure to follow the operating instructions set forth in the Owner’s Manual (e.g., failure to use proper fuel) or a failure to follow the Schedule of Recommended Inspection and Maintenance Services set forth in this Booklet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I got my first oil change yesterday at 4400 miles. I'm not used to going 6000 between changes. Also had a tire replaced and a rotation done (but I thought they rotated while driving! :)
) . I really like the garage setup at my local dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my first oil change yesterday at 4400 miles. I'm not used to going 6000 between changes. Also had a tire replaced and a rotation done (but I thought they rotated while driving! :)
) . I really like the garage setup at my local dealership.
Get used to it. The Impreza uses synthetic oil and is rated to go 6,000 miles, no problem.
It's a shift for me too coming from a 15-year old Chevy impala where 3,000 miles was oil change time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just did my first oil change last night, at 2003 miles. It may seem overkill to do your first oil change at 2k miles but I'm DIYer and it only cost me $30 and 30mins (Mobil 1 0-20w oil and Subaru stock filter) and I plan to keep this car long long long times, hopefully to be my son's car when he goes to college.

For those who curious, the oil looks kinda like "iced tea" shade when u take it out from dip stick and put on paper towel (pretty healthy condition). I have a suction pump to pump the oil from deep stick hole and when it comes out from the tube, it looks a lot more darker (somewhat between a filtered coffee and espresso).

I'm glad to have done the change at 2k and will do another one 6k (it would be 4k miles at that point) and then follow the regular schedule suggest by Subaru. I do feel the engine vibration is marginally smaller than before.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
101 Posts
Dropped my '17 Impreza puppy in to the dealership for its first oil change... for free, of course.

4,100 miles, 10 months old.

The service guy warned me that I should bring it in every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

I winked at him and said, "yeah, whatever, I don't drive it that much, I'm sure it will be fine."
He winked back, but said nothing. He went on to say that my car is in great shape and there's nothing to report.

I was going to mention the CVT shudder at low speeds that we're all experiencing, but I assumed he would just reply back, "Get used to it, that's the way a Subaru CVT acts, buddy." So, I kept my mouth shut.

Exciting story huh?!?
I encourage you to share all observations with the dealer service advisor. It is their job to put us at ease when something is happening with our cars.

For example, I drive a 2011 BMW 135i. Most of the BMW's built since 2008 have an electric water pump. The problem is that the water pump can fail without much warning, stranding you at the side of the road miles from help. Like many members of the online forums, I was convinced that I should replace my water pump ($1,100 all in) preemptively, in order to avoid the hassle of being towed from gosh knows where. Luckily, I spoke with my SA and he assured me that they had only replaced water pumps in about 5% the cars they had sold going back to 2008. He changed my mind by asking why I would want to spend $1,100 when 95% of the cars do not have the problem?

Sorry for the long story. IMHO, you should be talking to your SA about everything that concerns you about your car. Their job is to keep you on the right path. All that being said, I still hold my breath when I get more than a few hundred miles from home. Haha!

Peace... Mack

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@Jojo613..."I was going to mention the CVT shudder at low speeds that we're all experiencing, but I assumed he would just reply back, "Get used to it, that's the way a Subaru CVT acts, buddy." So, I kept my mouth shut."

There is a TSB and a software update for the CVT shudder...you should have mentioned it so they could perform the update. Maybe he would have replied back that there's an update with an added wink:wink2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dunno... My faith in the expertise of dealers is low. In the last few months I've dealt with three Subaru salesmen. I honestly believe that I know more about the 5th gen Impreza than any of them. Most of that knowledge is just from spending time at subaru.com and paying attention. One particular salesman didn't seem aware that 2017 and 1018 Imprezas are made in Indiana, not Japan.

I've owned Subarus for decades. The best Subaru mechanic that I know of once worked at a dealer, but left because he didn't like working there. He's kind of an a-hole, so I don't go to him unless I need to. The second best is just a good mechanic that everyone has been bringing their subies to for years, so he has a lot of experience.

None of the dealer mechanics that I have met (Subaru or other brands) comes close to the top of my list. What they do have is access to the special plug-in computers and other special tools, and access to a full set of factory service manuals. They also have a lot of experience with Subarus, but seeing as the 5th gen Impreza is mostly new, I'm not sure how much value that experience really is. What really counts is intelligence and skill.

Here's the bottom line: people with great intelligence and skill tend not to make a career out of working at a car dealership, as salesmen, mechanics or in any other capacity. An even more elemental truth is that an early oil change can't possibly cause any harm.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Same thing happened to me at the first dealership I tried to buy from. I ordered my car in late May and the salesman is telling me it?s being built in Japan and shipped by boat. The whole time I?m thinking and reading it?s being built in Indiana. He had no clue. Luckily that order fell through and I went to the dealer a lot closer to where I live to purchase the car. The dealership I ended up buying from is a lot bigger more involved in the community with sponsorships and seem to have a better handle on things. I only went to the original one based on a co workers recommendation/kid was the salesman. We?ll see next week how my first service goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts