5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Premium and a Sport, today. Neither car is particularly 'sporty' by my standards but the one thing I wanted to check was whether the cars had different sway bars since that has been an easy upgrade path in the past. NEITHER car has any rear swaybar that I could find. It definitely isn't connected to the lower control arm like recent generations of Subarus, although the hole is there where the endlink traditionally mounts. The Sport had a 22mm front sway bar. The Premium seemed to have a 21mm but it could have been measurement error while I reached under the car with my micrometer. I suspect it's more likely that they have the same sway bars. I believe the Sport might have better shock damping but it was hard to tell since the test-drive loop was unfamiliar and the roads were fairly smooth, even driving the cars back to back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think I found the rear anti-sway-bar on my new Premium 5-door while looking for the trailer hitch install difficulty. The bar is to the front of the car, is mounted high and then has a link to the lower member. Pic here is of the left side -item circled in red. Kelly Blue Book specs have the rear anti-sway-bar as standard on all trims but the base model.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is from the Subaru new tech manual (no mention of size though):

"The rear stabilizer is now attached directly to the body of the car. Removal of the rear stabilizer bar requires removal of the rear sub frame and all related components."

·
Registered
308 Posts
They really had to make it a pain to replace huh? Sway bars are typically one of the first modifications I make to help reduce that body roll a fair bit. This sounds tedious..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Every review I have read or video I have seen about the 2017 Impreza Sport, is that in that model, the handling is excellent as delivered. This is one super-improved car from the prior generation (all models). Thus, may I suggest that before one buys mod parts prior to owning one (a practice I am fully guilty of for my last three cars), as this is a brand new generation, this is one time I would hold off before buying any suspension or powertrain upgrades (even if readily available), until one has personally experience this car (on far more than a test drive).

Owners of the '17 Impreza will be impressed by many of the new gen's major improvements!

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Road Trip. I agree. I took delivery of my 5 door Sport two weeks ago. It drives stiffer, yet much more comfortably than my wife's Miata with Bilstien racing package (struts, antisway bars, etc...).
I love the handling of the Sport.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe the suspension components on the Sport and the standard Impreza are the same and that the Sport is cosmetic changes more than anything specific to handling.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I believe the suspension components on the Sport and the standard Impreza are the same and that the Sport is cosmetic changes more than anything specific to handling.
Because of the extreme stiffness of the new global platform all suspensions have been tuned for comfort. The Sport is tuned a little tighter and has TQ-Vectoring and the 18 inch tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has anyone climbed under a base model and confirmed if the sway bar is there?

I am tired of asking my dealership service dept. whose info I don't really trust...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anyone climbed under a base model and confirmed if the sway bar is there?

I am tired of asking my dealership service dept. whose info I don't really trust...
No sway bar in the rear on the base. Wonder how hard it would be to add on the new platform..

·
Registered
70 Posts
No Rear Swaybar on my17 Sport.. Fortunately I have 2 available from my 2015 WRX.. the Stocker and Whiteline Adj.. I will probably add one in the spring.. There are lots of parts that are interchangeable between models.. my 99 GF4 Wagon has parts from 99-07 WRX/STi/Tribeca.

Pics of my Rides :)

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
No sway bar in the rear on the base. Wonder how hard it would be to add on the new platform..
not hard at all.. you need the brackets, Endlinks, and the bar itself.. Stay tuned.. I plan to put one on my Sport in the Spring :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
not hard at all.. you need the brackets, Endlinks, and the bar itself.. Stay tuned.. I plan to put one on my Sport in the Spring :)
Your Sport indeed has a swaybar in it, and since these new Imprezas are on the new global platform with the swaybars mounted directly to the body, it's not a simple as it used to be. You have to take the whole rear subframe off to get to them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your Sport indeed has a swaybar in it, and since these new Imprezas are on the new global platform with the swaybars mounted directly to the body, it's not a simple as it used to be. You have to take the whole rear subframe off to get to them.
So what your saying is the Rear bar is not in the same place as my 15 WRX...Rear Subframe is the same as my 15 WRX.. and where the Rear Swaybar would normally be.. is not present ..I will take a pic if you need me too. : ) It just has the upper/lower control arms and thats it.. no sway that I saw..

·
Registered
95 Posts
So what your saying is the Rear bar is not in the same place as my 15 WRX...Rear Subframe is the same as my 15 WRX.. and where the Rear Swaybar would normally be.. is not present ..I will take a pic if you need me too. : ) It just has the upper/lower control arms and thats it.. no sway that I saw..
This is from the Subaru new tech manual (no mention of size though):

"The rear stabilizer is now attached directly to the body of the car. Removal of the rear stabilizer bar requires removal of the rear sub frame and all related components."
That's exactly what I'm saying. Different place and you can't replace it without taking the whole read end out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just looking at the Parts Catalog.. Still shows Standard Rear Subaru Subframe.. ???? have some more research to do apparently...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Because of the extreme stiffness of the new global platform all suspensions have been tuned for comfort. The Sport is tuned a little tighter and has TQ-Vectoring and the 18 inch tires.
Just curious...says who that the sport is "turned a little tighter"?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts