5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Has anyone climbed under a base model and confirmed if the sway bar is there?"

Poster # 2 has looked, see his photo. I have looked and made a photo of the rear sway bar
on my 2017 Premium 5 door. So you have two photos showing a rear sway bar.

Can you not look under your car rather than ask a dealer?

Clifton

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,828 Posts
Just looking at the Parts Catalog.. Still shows Standard Rear Subaru Subframe.. ???? have some more research to do apparently...
I have noticed that a lot of places list the new Impreza being able to take old Impreza parts. Then when you get further along in the ordering process you find that no, they don't fit.

As you know the new Impreza is the first car to use the new Subaru Global Platform that will (eventually) be used on the Forester, WRX and that new three row family hauler (forget the name right now).

Just not a crap ton of performance parts yet at all but I am sure that companies are working to get parts made for the global platform since Subie owners tend to be people who mod their cars quite a bit.

I think you are going to have a bunch of old parts to sell online dude. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok.... Found it...its mounted opposite of what it used to be... mounted to the body facing backward whereas before it was mounted on the subframe... SEE PIC... I will try to get a measurement on its size ..Got this pic as screenshot of 2018 Crosstrek getting a lift installed...looks to be about a 16mm or so..Now I understand why you would need to remove the subframe to change it out...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every review I have read or video I have seen about the 2017 Impreza Sport, is that in that model, the handling is excellent as delivered. This is one super-improved car from the prior generation (all models). Thus, may I suggest that before one buys mod parts prior to owning one (a practice I am fully guilty of for my last three cars), as this is a brand new generation, this is one time I would hold off before buying any suspension or powertrain upgrades (even if readily available), until one has personally experience this car (on far more than a test drive).

Owners of the '17 Impreza will be impressed by many of the new gen's major improvements!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a Base model expecting the NEW Global platform made up for the lack of a rear stabilizer, nope. Speeds over 50 and turns etc... ugh soooo disappointed thinking I could easily add a rear stabilizer, nope. Dropping the subframe to install??? Has anyone with a base model added the Rear Stabilizer bar? What all does it entail, parts and such? Anyone else upgraded thier's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Has anyone climbed under a base model and confirmed if the sway bar is there?"

Poster # 2 has looked, see his photo. I have looked and made a photo of the rear sway bar
on my 2017 Premium 5 door. So you have two photos showing a rear sway bar.

Can you not look under your car rather than ask a dealer?

Clifton
2018 Base 5Dr

No rear Sway Bar, See pics. Feeling cheated :/ Sans Sway Bar 01.jpg Sans Sway Bar 02.jpg Sans Sway Bar 03.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Base model expecting the NEW Global platform made up for the lack of a rear stabilizer, nope. Speeds over 50 and turns etc... ugh soooo disappointed thinking I could easily add a rear stabilizer, nope. Dropping the subframe to install??? Has anyone with a base model added the Rear Stabilizer bar? What all does it entail, parts and such? Anyone else upgraded thier's?
I plan on adding one to my base model once it arrives next month...

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
From cars101.com (Great Resource BTW)

Active Torque Vectoring
Active Torque Vectoring, on Sport model only, detects front wheel spin when the vehicle is turning and helps control the inner front wheel speed (new on 17s)​

Suspension- Sport modelsSport tuned suspension
Front- independent Stablex struts with coil springs, lower L arms, stabilizer bar. Stablex front MacPherson struts and rear shock absorbers are larger in diameter and have revised internal valves designed to deliver a more stable ride and more responsive handling.front
Rear- independent, double wishbone, coil spring, rear stabilizer bar

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just curious...says who that the sport is "turned a little tighter"?
The shocks are different than the other models, I've heard they are stiffer shocks but never seen exact numbers. They often refer to it having sport tuned suspension as an upgrade over the other models if you to a model comparison on Subaru's website. There may be other tweaks to it but I haven't seen any direct info. Different tires and wheels, larger front brakes, and liquid filled engine mounts seem to be the main difference along with the shocks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From the description on the Cars 101 - 2019 Impreza - Mechanical Specs page, it appears the suspension between the Premium & Limited and the Sport models are similar. Most likely the Sport models have stiffer Dampening and Rebound for a tighter, sportier handling all around. All around, the models appear to have upgraded shocks & struts over the base model though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Please share the experience. I plan to either 1-2" spacer lift with taller wheels or add stabilizer. I've gotten used to not having it. :/
Check out ReadyLift or LP Aventure!
Theyve got cool stuff for subies.
We've done several lifted Crosstreks, Minis, and what nots at work. Pretty fun.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts