5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
When you have the Tactrix openport 2, you buy the subaruEdit software, use it to get an ECU ROM dump and send that to the software creator (epifan) for him to make an editable ROM for you. You will need the personal edition software, not the lite version. He will need your VIN etc for software registration.

Getting rid of rev hang is great. Getting a personalized tune is even better.

Yes there are gains to be had even with an unmodified car. That doesn't necessarily mean peak output at peak rpm. Useable power band improvement is also important.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I looked at some of the eBay listings for the Tactrix openport 2. Some said they came with adapters for Subaru and Mitsubishi. No adapters are needed for us. The openport 2 connects directly to the standard OBDII port near the hood release latch, and then a USB cable (mini, not micro) is used to connect it to a laptop. For mine, I bought an OBDII extension cable so it could sit by my laptop on the passenger seat for data logging while driving. Not necessary, just seemed like a good idea to me so I didn't kick it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
117 Posts
When you have the Tactrix openport 2, you buy the subaruEdit software, use it to get an ECU ROM dump and send that to the software creator (epiphan) for him to make an editable ROM for you. You will need the personal edition software, not the lite version. He will need your VIN etc for software registration.

Getting rid of rev hang is great. Getting a personalized tune is even better.

Yes there are gains to be had even with an unmodified car. That doesn't necessarily mean peak output at peak rpm. Useable power band improvement is also important.
Thank you! Not at all how I thought the subaruEdit software works. It's good to know. I'm excited for the Tactrix to arrive. Hopefully next weekend I can be rev hang free. (y)

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Sedan - 5-Speed
35 Posts
sedrubaru, I just went through that exact process, it's not bad, a little back in forth with the registration for the software, but Mike is awesome, very clear, concise, step by step instruction. I'm still working with him after eight revisions, and what a day/night difference, power band starts much lower in the rpms, and is smooth all the way up, considerably quicker than without the tune, and he also lowered my cold start idle down to 1100, so much nicer. Don't expect turbo power from this, it's definitely not that, but it is much better, and feels like it should, it's fun to drive now.

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
117 Posts
sedrubaru, I just went through that exact process, it's not bad, a little back in forth with the registration for the software, but Mike is awesome, very clear, concise, step by step instruction. I'm still working with him after eight revisions, and what a day/night difference, power band starts much lower in the rpms, and is smooth all the way up, considerably quicker than without the tune, and he also lowered my cold start idle down to 1100, so much nicer. Don't expect turbo power from this, it's definitely not that, but it is much better, and feels like it should, it's fun to drive now.
That's great to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience with him. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I can live without a 'fast' car but these cars I feel would be a giant step up if they were just a little bit more bit quicker.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
97 Posts
A couple of questions. First, can I get this tune from Mike even if I'm in Canada?

And second, I'm assuming this will void my dealership warranty ?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Being in Canada won't stop Mike from working with you.

My dealership knows I have a tune. I had to put my original, unlocked tune back on my car so they could put the 'ignition recall' tune on my car. I then gave that recall tune to Mike so he had a new base tune to work with for my car. Having a tune doesn't automatically void the warranty, but it could be a consideration if they have to do warranty work specially on the engine, depending on what is wrong with the engine To me, I'm willing to accept that trade-off because getting rid of the rev hang allows me to save wear on my clutch. I'm now in control of the engine speed and can do normal engagement without excessive rub.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was planning on messing around with this back in the spring, but then all the COVID crazyness happened. My job had us working from home so the car didn't get driven and the need was overshadowed with other concerns. I'm trying to drive the car more just to get it out and everytime I do, I am constantly reminded that I need to take care of this. I just ordered an Openport 2.0 from Tactrix and I since I like to dabble in tuning stuff I am going to do it myself. I downloaded the latest version of EcuFlash from Tactrix's website in lieu of buying the SubaruEdit software. I've used it in the past on our previous 02 WRX wagon, plus it's free. From reading Slushbox's comparison from a DIY vs Mike tune, it won't be as good, but I'll be OK with it if my investment is a 3rd of what it would cost otherwise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wasn't aware that ECU Flash would work with our newer cars. I have a seat of Rom Raider that I used with my 02 WRX wagon (excellent choice of auto's by the way). I went with Mike and couldn't be happier, pretty confident my Rom Raider won't work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wasn't aware that ECU Flash would work with our newer cars. I have a seat of Rom Raider that I used with my 02 WRX wagon (excellent choice of auto's by the way). I went with Mike and couldn't be happier, pretty confident my Rom Raider won't work.
Very Nice Bugeye! I miss ours immensly. I went to Tactrix's FAQ and it says EcuFlash works for "Impreza NA(05+)" so I am going off of that, however that doesn't mean that that page is very outdated either. I'll have to research some more for a second verification.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The ROM handling template that I currently use in the subaruEdit software is:

FB16/FB20/FB25 2018+ Impreza/Legacy/FXT/XV

·
Registered
123 Posts
The ROM handling template that I currently use in the subaruEdit software is: FB16/FB20/FB25 2018+ Impreza/Legacy/FXT/XV
Looking into it some more, it seems like I would need some kind of template, or "definitions" as they call it, in order to make changes to the map. I assumed you read in your map from your stock ECU and do a "Save As" but the more I am researching, it seems like you need a blank template that information that is read from the ECU gets filled out into.

I have had no luck finding such a template for ECUflash. Unless someone is willing to email me a template, I'll keep searching.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have minimal experience with ECUflash. For subaruEdit, a ROM dump is done and then sent to the software author who then sends back a ROM made from it that can be edited.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the exact same experience as NoSlushbox4Me, Epifan had me read my ECU with the software, take a screenshot and send that in, then I received a copy of my stock tune, which I then forwarded on to Mike at Rallisport, and we went from there, ten revisions later after a lot of data logging, I have a VERY fun car to drive. Looking at what some of the tuners charge, especially for a custom tune, I think Mike is pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I received my OpenPort 2.0 on Friday and unsuccessfully tried reading the ECU using EcuFlash. I'm going to play around with it a little, but I'm thinking that buying SubaruEdit is in the very near future. Even if I can read the ECU, I will have to post it up on RomRaider forum in the hopes that someone will create a definition for it for me to then be able to edit. I'll probably be buying software by the end of the week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wasn't as motivated as you, I gave in right away and bought the software. Best of luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Went ahead and bought SubaruEdit and flashed the ECU for the rev hang delete. Oh man, so much better than before! It drives like a normal car. Not sure if I'll get a custom tune from Rallisport, but who knows. Well worth it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm happy I did, if I think about it this weekend, I'll try to record some video from the drivers perspective, day night to stock.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Glad it's working out for you. No one should have to suffer with having rev hang.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts