5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
A copy & paste of a 2010 Outback Forum post:
You are comparing 'SALES pitches' to 'REAL LIFE' conditions.

Perhaps you are fortunate enough to not drive on salty roads 6 months a year.... The ENITIRE vehicle is white with a layer of salt for much of the winter. (Washing a car in subzero temperatures can peel the paint...warm water on cold, painted steel is a bad combination)

The salt gets into every nook-n-cranny of the vehicle and can NEVER be removed. Then, during the summer, the humidity 'wakes up' that salt and it munches at the steel all summer long. The aluminim parts in the engine-bay get deep pits from the salt. Exhaust pipes disintegrate.

Infact, keeping a car in heated garage in the winter makes it rust WORSE. (the heat speeds up the corrosion process)

Under these conditions, as I mentioned about our 2012 OB (which is same GEN as 2010 in your posting)... Ours has already rusted several in areas and we paid $1000+ to have it professionally repaired with stainless steel panels welded in. The muffler rusted out years ago.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You are comparing 'SALES pitches' to 'REAL LIFE' conditions.

Perhaps you are fortunate enough to not drive on salty roads 6 months a year.... The ENITIRE vehicle is white with a layer of salt for much of the winter. (Washing a car in subzero temperatures can peel the paint...warm water on cold, painted steel is a bad combination)

The salt gets into every nook-n-cranny of the vehicle and can NEVER be removed. Then, during the summer, the humidity 'wakes up' that salt and it munches at the steel all summer long. The aluminim parts in the engine-bay get deep pits from the salt. Exhaust pipes disintegrate.

Infact, keeping a car in heated garage in the winter makes it rust WORSE. (the heat speeds up the corrosion process)

Under these conditions, as I mentioned about our 2012 OB (which is same GEN as 2010 in your posting)... Ours has already rusted several in areas and we paid $1000+ to have it professionally repaired with stainless steel panels welded in. The muffler rusted out years ago.
Bruce,
I'm not disputing your experiences or the cause. I sympathize and I'm not being disrespectful. I'm reporting what I've experienced with my own Outbacks, and a fair number of other mostly post-2005 Subaru cars in long-term ownership by my extended family and friends.

We live in a mountainous area of Pennsylvania and Subaru AWD cars are popular. The roads are salted with every weather event throughout the winter. With the difficult terrain here, it wouldn't be safe to travel if they weren't--even with AWD. My cars are crusted with salt as you describe, and can only be washed on the infrequent warmer days. Mine have always been driven daily and garaged. I've never failed an annual inspection with a Subaru and rust has never been reported by any inspector. I've never replaced an exhaust or muffler. None have been "rust proofed" or oiled.

As I've had significant rust problems with many of our older cars, domestic & Japanese, I can only think the lack of rust on our Outbacks is due to electrodeposition primer coat.

BTW, I'm a retired process development chemist that until recently was employed by SOA's coating supplier for 40 years.

Regards

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm not even at 12k yet but close. As for rust, I have rust at the top right where the license plate is on the rear trunk lid. I have to take it in for them to look at it. There is a frame around the license plate that the dealer put on and I wonder if this is what is causing the rust.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts