5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, I'd like to know if you have had (or know someone who had) any major issues with engines or transmissions.

Im considering buying the 4year/160km extended warranty from my dealership. My factory warranty came with 3 years/60km but I drive a lot and will exceed 60,0000 km in just over a year after I got my car brand new.

As you may have seen from my other recent post, im a new driver, its my first car, and I'm getting really paranoid because of a noise my engine is making sporadically.

My dealership offered me 4 year/160,000(100k miles) for around 2500 CAD (1908 USD).

My step dad tells me its an overpriced money gouging attempt.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't speak for CA prices but I paid just under 2000 USD for my 10yr/100k. That is of course after I found out you could research and negotiate prices. Paid 2600 for the same warranty on my Legacy before I found out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not personally, but there are a non-zero number of current generation Crosstreks out there getting towards 100,000 miles (People really drive those things). I haven't read about any real issues.

I know someone with a 2012 Impreza with high mileage, not a single issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If so, I'd like to know if you have had (or know someone who had) any major issues with engines or transmissions.

Im considering buying the 4year/160km extended warranty from my dealership. My factory warranty came with 3 years/60km but I drive a lot and will exceed 60,0000 km in just over a year after I got my car brand new.

As you may have seen from my other recent post, im a new driver, its my first car, and I'm getting really paranoid because of a noise my engine is making sporadically.

My dealership offered me 4 year/160,000(100k miles) for around 2500 CAD (1908 USD).

What do you guys think?
I have a 2017 with CVT. At around. 85,000 miles a metallic noise developed which got faster or slower depending on the speed of the car. It was determined to be something in the transmission. Fortunately , SOA had extended the warranty on the drivetrain and the transmission was replaced at no charge. The dealer said the cost would have been about $7200 to replace (rebuilt). A day after I got the car back (took about 5 days) the key wouldn’t come out of the ignition. Although the dealer initially said that this wouldn’t be covered, SOA covered that as well. To answer your question, if your warranty doesn’t cover the CVT for 100,000 miles, the extended warranty may not be a bad deal.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
164 Posts
This is generally where I find myself on extended warranties, especially those costing nearly 10% of the car's initial price. The only car I've ever purchased one on was a Toyota Highlander. Extended warranty up to 100k. Never once used the warranty and I'm well past 100k on it now. Probably won't buy another extended warranty again.

For what it's worth, I've been driving for close to 30 years and have owned 9 vehicles (4 new, 5 used). I keep my cars in top shape and generally run them to 200k before I sell them. It's what works for me, but isn't for everyone.

My Impreza came with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer (included at no additional cost), but I was not interested in paying for any extended warranty.

:knocksonwood:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Keep in mind as CVTs become more common the repair costs will go down. Also keep in mind a transmission replacement at a dealership will always cost over $5,000. When a car gets old you usually buy used parts and have an independent mechanic do the work. Used CVTs I've seen were listed at about $1500.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2017 with CVT. At around. 85,000 miles a metallic noise developed which got faster or slower depending on the speed of the car. It was determined to be something in the transmission. Fortunately , SOA had extended the warranty on the drivetrain and the transmission was replaced at no charge. The dealer said the cost would have been about $7200 to replace (rebuilt). A day after I got the car back (took about 5 days) the key wouldn’t come out of the ignition. Although the dealer initially said that this wouldn’t be covered, SOA covered that as well. To answer your question, if your warranty doesn’t cover the CVT for 100,000 miles, the extended warranty may not be a bad deal.
Thanks for your response. However my car is a manual.. which are supposed to be a lot more robust and have fewer issues. Im just new to driving a boxer engine and I feel like I might be getting overly paranoid because I hear things in this engine that I've never heard in a car before

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for your response. However my car is a manual.. which are supposed to be a lot more robust and have fewer issues. Im just new to driving a boxer engine and I feel like I might be getting overly paranoid because I hear things in this engine that I've never heard in a car before
I know the feeling, bought mine new last April Base 5MT hatch... I have 11k miles and its doing great. I have a 7yr 100k warranty.
This is my first Boxer but have grown to love it... It's very mechanically noisy, kinda like a modernized beetle engine.
My wife has a Toyota CHR with a 2.0 inline 4 and its basically silent compared to the Subaru.
I think of the noise as character, in a sea of cookie cutter, it's nice to have something just a little unique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts