5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a facebook group I saw a pic of someone with a rear diffuser. I kind of likeed the way it looked. Has anyone installed one? I put a Subaru style one on my BRZ but there really isn't one for the Impreza that I can see. I found a universal one that I suspect was the type on the Impreza in the pic I saw. I've looked under the bumper and there may be a way to install one that doesn't look tacked on. I found a 5 fin one that is 23 inches long on ebay that is flat black and inexpensive. The next size I can find is 33 inches and that's too long to fit properly looking under the bumper. I'm going to give it a shot and will report back, Just checking if anyone has done this already. I've attached what I'm talking about if you aren't familiar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
LOL! I was looking at those as well! PLEASE let us know how it works out! I am very interested.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
230 Posts
Don't bother, they are useless.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
230 Posts
We aren't really looking for them to actually work bro, more for the aesthetics.
When I look at these I just see a mismatched non-functional piece stuck on with double sided tape. It belongs in the realm of fake hood scoops, vortex generators, and air intake superchargers.

Reactions: pbunn1953

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think that if done well, probably a little bit of custom work (I'm sure Peaty can handle it, lol) that it could look pretty good. I've looked at them in the past as well, knowing it wouldn't functionally do anything, but for a subtle different look for the car.

Everyone's opinions on what looks good can be different. As long as he likes what he comes up with, thats about all that matters to it. Plenty of mods are purely aesthetic and non functional. Plus I'm sure the added HP and Formula1 grade aerodynamics increase will increase his track times ;).

As a small side note, on the opposite direction, I've also tried looking for some small fins that would blend well on the back wing, similar to the black STI accessory wing, but without spending that kinda cost. I'd think one or the other, both might be a little too much power to handle safely.

There are also a bunch a generic ones on Amazon. Let us know what you come up with.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know full well that this is an aesthetic mod, I don't like things that look tacked on or seem out of place either. This will be a less than 20 buck experiment. As long as the color matches, due to the locatoin it might look okay. The good thing is, if I secure it with a few pop fastners it will be simple to remove if I don't like it. If it works and it looks okay, others can give it a try or not. There are lots of things people do to their car that I might not do myself. My mom taught me if you don't have anything good to say keep it to yourself. So when someone does a mod that I might not think it worthwhile, unless think it may be unsafe or I have something constructive to say, I go on to the next post.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I installed the diffuser a few days ago. I'm ambiguous if I like it or not. It was not difficult to install, centering it was the most difficult thing. It's curved so the center is close to the side but the curve ends are 70mm back. It came with 3M double sided tape but I don't' trust that so I put 4 - 1/4" plastic push fasteners to secure it. I put on on each end and one on either side of the center fin. That required 4 small 1/4" holes that if I remove the diffuser will not be noticeable. There are a few larger ones under there already. I've driven on the highway and it's defiantly secure. In the photos it looks more obvious than in real life. I'm going to leave in on a month or so before I decide if I want to remove it.

more pics here: >>click me<<

I got it here, 26 X 6" - 5 fin mat mat black. >>click me<<

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Looks really cool peaty. The one thing I would worry about is driving in snow/slush and getting snow etc. up under the diffuser and then turning to ice.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious to see more of the underside view/angle:unsure:
I'll see what I can do, it will have to be a wide angle. The one pic in that link shows that it hangs off the bumper (towards the front of the car) because it's 6" deep and the bumper is only 3" or so deep. I was concerned about the stability but it's a lot more solid on there than I though. Not somethign anyone would see normally obviously. I have the nameless exhaust, not sure if the OEM muffler would be in the way or not. I looked for something smaller in that dimension but I didn't see anything.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks really cool peaty. The one thing I would worry about is driving in snow/slush and getting snow etc. up under the diffuser and then turning to ice.
It's possible I suppose, it is kind of tucked up under there. I'm hoping the mudflaps will minimize splashing, I will keep an eye on it though. I'm not sure it it will be any better or worse than if it weren't there.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
26 X 6", 5 fin the next size up is 33" wide and it would have covered some of the existing pop fasteners. I also feel it would have been too close to the exhaust pipe on the hatchback.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've taken a photo by putting my phone on the ground and using the wide-angle lens oh, not the greatest photo but you get the idea. I've added it to the album in the link above.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'll see what I can do, it will have to be a wide angle. The one pic in that link shows that it hangs off the bumper (towards the front of the car) because it's 6" deep and the bumper is only 3" or so deep. I was concerned about the stability but it's a lot more solid on there than I though. Not somethign anyone would see normally obviously. I have the nameless exhaust, not sure if the OEM muffler would be in the way or not. I looked for something smaller in that dimension but I didn't see anything.
I saw link pics afterwards. thanks (y)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts