5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say that I have needed it very much. There were some instances that it would have helped perhaps but I muddled through without it. For me now it's more of a just in case thing.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,913 Posts
Where I live we get 13 feet of snow (not inches feet) a season on average. Yes, yes there are times when I need AWD. If I didn't I would be driving a Mustang.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There are times when a 4 wheel drift around a corner in the rain is "necessary". ;)

For those times, I need AWD (and manual transmission). Well, RWD meets the need pretty well in that situation too, but AWD is interesting in its own way.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
368 Posts
I've had lots of Subaru's. Last year I had a BRZ and we ended up with a pretty bad winter. Even with a second set of wheels, there were some really bad white knuckle drives. At times if I could not use the wife's Outback, I'd just stay home. Snow and ice was too dangerous at times. I grew up where it snowed a lot and know how to drive in the snow. That's why last July I traded in the BRZ for my Impreza. I really missed not having to worry about getting around. Once you get use to AWD it's kind of nice :) I still think it's helps even in the rain. RWD is fun, I still have my Miata but I typically only drive that in the summer.

I also bet that there were times AWD did help you but sometimes it's so transparent you aren't even aware of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here in the northeast, not only do we get snow, but we get steep road grades, terribly off camber turns, awkward driveways, etc. Having power at all wheels might not be NECESSARY, but it certainly helps you put the power down so you don't spin your wheels and look like an idiot. Pic for reference. I don't think I've ever NOT spun my tires pulling out of this street, no matter what I'm driving or what road conditions.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wished my Impreza was only front wheel drive but admittedly it makes winter driving easy and fun. With the relatively low power engine the performance boost of eliminating some axles and assorted hardware would be nice, even if it's not too much.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Depends where you live. A lot of people choose subaru cars simply for the awd, Me included. As there are better non awd cars with more features and power in the same price range.

During winter state of emergencies it’s a requirement to have awd to be allowed on the roads in some states as well.

·
Registered
2019 Sport 5MT
52 Posts
In my Impreza, not yet. However, my first winter with her is approaching, so we will see!

Last February, there was a freak snow storm the left ~9 inches in one night. We average 0.5" a year, with some years not seeing any snow. Needless to say, the city infrastructure could not withstand 9" of snow, and a lot of power lines were downed, and half the city was without power. My house is on all electric, so without power, we didn't have heat. Thank goodness my previous car was an outback and I was able to get my wife, three kids and two dogs out of our neighborhood (streets were never plowed) to go eat and stay at a place with power so we wouldn't freeze to death.

Over a period of 7 years, this was the only situation where AWD was necessary, but I was glad to have it. It's one of those things, where I'd rather have AWD and not need it than not have AWD and need it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
With AWD it is VERY difficult to know when you "need" it.... it simply kicks in as necessary.

If I consider the question based on when I used to drive FWD or RWD vehicles.... virtually EVERY time I used to try to get moving from a stop in the snow, the tires would spin and I would have to manipulate the throttle to compensate..... With Subaru, the vehicle simply pulls away from a stop as if I am on a dry road.

Also, even with AWD, there are times when my tires spin when plowing thru deep snow. Once the bumper is pushing snow, you NEVER want the vehicle to come to a stop for fear of not being able to get moving again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I live on a steep hill. Last month when we had that 14" snowfall, not only was climbing the hill easy, but even driving on the snow-covered highway was a breeze. When there was no traffic, 65mph was no problem at all. Going into manual mode, it was also very easy to do engine braking in the slick conditions, as well as second gear starts when starting on slick hills. Of course, I own a sport, so ground clearance isn't great, but sticking to the roads is so much easier in the snow than my old Toyotas,and even my old Volvo wagon was. In fact, I kinds think that the Impreza wagon is pretty much everything that those old Volvo 245's were years ago.

·
Administrator
1,913 Posts
I live on a steep hill. Last month when we had that 14" snowfall, not only was climbing the hill easy, but even driving on the snow-covered highway was a breeze. When there was no traffic, 65mph was no problem at all. Going into manual mode, it was also very easy to do engine braking in the slick conditions, as well as second gear starts when starting on slick hills. Of course, I own a sport, so ground clearance isn't great, but sticking to the roads is so much easier in the snow than my old Toyotas,and even my old Volvo wagon was. In fact, I kinds think that the Impreza wagon is pretty much everything that those old Volvo 245's were years ago.
I learned to drive with my mothers Volvo wagon with a stick in Syracuse NY winters. Those cars are heavy TANKS. I had to come back and do an edit since the 1980 Volvo wagon weighs pretty much the same as a 2017 Impreza! Wow that surprised me!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I owned a 1978 Volvo 245 wagon, ran it up to 260,000 miles. Only had a 4-speed, but man, the ground clearance that thing had!

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
112 Posts
Where I live in Colorado, I definitely have appreciated having AWD. My last 3 vehicles have been full time AWD and I'm not sure I'd do without one with my commute.

That being said, I drive a RWD FedEx truck about 120 miles a day in the same conditions and manage that just fine. A lot more wheelspin with that beast though.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
368 Posts
79531811_2836142229730573_4560661162705813504_n.jpg

It snowed here yesterday. In Kansas it happens but, apparently, not enough for people to learn how to drive in it. I lived where we got a lot of snow in Jersey and PA. My wife grew up in Michigan. Somehow growing up we survived with RWD and Snow tires. Later in the early 80's we got a Brat which helped a lot.

It was only 4" of fluffy snow but they loose their minds here when they see a few flakes. They even closed the schools last night. Yesterday during the "Storm" my wife drove to the airport in her Outback with no issues. She did see cars in the ditch on the way. She's on all season tires that are in good shape. I drove to work this AM and most of the roads were clear. The back roads are snow backed and I drove with caution. No issues really for me, this is the first time in snow with the Impreza. My stock tires are new, under 4K miles, and they did okay. Not great, traction control kicked in a few times but mostly that was me testing the grip with the throttle. I really want to get dedicated snows though on a second set of wheels. It's super windy here at times and roads I drive to work will get fairly drifted over no matter how much they plow. While I agree you might not need AWD but it sure is nice!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is a good example of Subaru AWD -- It was snowing on my way home from work and there was about an inch on the roads. Traveling about 25 MPH, the BMW X3 infont of me which was going SIDEWAYS down the road as the rear wheels were spinning the entire time. My Impreza with factory tires did not even know the roads were slippery.... I could actually accelerate without ANY tire-slip.
Did I "need" AWD? no.... but it sure does help get moving from a stop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a good example of Subaru AWD -- It was snowing on my way home from work and there was about an inch on the roads. Traveling about 25 MPH, the BMW X3 infont of me which was going SIDEWAYS down the road as the rear wheels were spinning the entire time. My Impreza with factory tires did not even know the roads were slippery.... I could actually accelerate without ANY tire-slip.
Did I "need" AWD? no.... but it sure does help get moving from a stop.
I like it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my Impreza, not yet. However, my first winter with her is approaching, so we will see!

Last February, there was a freak snow storm the left ~9 inches in one night. We average 0.5" a year, with some years not seeing any snow. Needless to say, the city infrastructure could not withstand 9" of snow, and a lot of power lines were downed, and half the city was without power. My house is on all electric, so without power, we didn't have heat. Thank goodness my previous car was an outback and I was able to get my wife, three kids and two dogs out of our neighborhood (streets were never plowed) to go eat and stay at a place with power so we wouldn't freeze to death.

Over a period of 7 years, this was the only situation where AWD was necessary, but I was glad to have it. It's one of those things, where I'd rather have AWD and not need it than not have AWD and need it.
I live in Wisconsin and last winter was my first with my Subaru. The AWD and winter tires make driving on ice and snow so much safer. You can make it with Front wheel drive and winter tires, but it's so much safer in AWD.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Had a fresh 6" of snow on my commute home from work today. I knew the expressway was a mess, so I took an alternate route using less traveled and even unplowed back roads. The AWD was certainly needed for that! Even gave me a chance to try out AWD drifting techniques; I was uncertain how the car would react, what with front-to-rear traction being supposedly changeable, but it was really very easy to handle. What started out as bad understeer smoothly translated to oversteer, with a bit of tail-slide. I was very impressed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where I live we get 13 feet of snow (not inches feet) a season on average. Yes, yes there are times when I need AWD. If I didn't I would be driving a Mustang.
I get 200" of snow in my Vermont driveway in an average year. AWD and Nokian snow tires save me from having to shovel. I could get around with a FWD car with snow tires and 6" of ground clearance but I'd be using a snow shovel and I'd have to pay attention to where I parked. I have a 6-cylinder Outback with Nokian Hakka R2 snow tires. It has no problem at all as long as I remember to disable the traction control in deep snow. It won't move at all with traction control enabled.

My girlfriend's daughter has a 2019 5-door Impreza with Nokian WRG4 all weather tires instead of the stock tires. They matched a Walmart $113/tire internet price at Discount Tire. We're going to see how that works out at Vail this winter. The car might need a lift kit. An inch or 1.25" would make a big difference and wouldn't require anything but installing spacers.

I get a few of these two foot storms most winters:

I don't have a Subaru photo in anything deep

·
Administrator
1,913 Posts
I get 200" of snow in my Vermont driveway in an average year. AWD and Nokian snow tires save me from having to shovel. I could get around with a FWD car with snow tires and 6" of ground clearance but I'd be using a snow shovel and I'd have to pay attention to where I parked. I have a 6-cylinder Outback with Nokian Hakka R2 snow tires. It has no problem at all as long as I remember to disable the traction control in deep snow. It won't move at all with traction control enabled.

My girlfriend's daughter has a 2019 5-door Impreza with Nokian WRG4 all weather tires instead of the stock tires. They matched a Walmart $113/tire internet price at Discount Tire. We're going to see how that works out at Vail this winter. The car might need a lift kit. An inch or 1.25" would make a big difference and wouldn't require anything but installing spacers.

I get a few of these two foot storms most winters:

I don't have a Subaru photo in anything deep
LOVE VERMONT!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts