5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport 5MT
52 Posts
I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I had an experience last week where I was grateful to have an AWD Impreza.

I was driving on a freeway in a pretty good rainstorm, enough to have my wipers on the highest setting. The lifted pick-up truck in front of me hit his breaks right before he drove through a deep puddle, deep enough his truck sprayed muddy water a good 2-3 feet higher than the top of his truck.

I saw what was coming, and kept my foot on the break pedal until my Impreza entered the deep puddle. I hit the water, and my car was engulfed in muddy water, so much so I couldn't see for what felt like 5 minutes (was only a second or two). At the same time, my car hydro-planed and began to drift off the road and into the shoulder. I took my foot off the brake, and waited for some contact. My passenger-side rear wheel was the first to make contact, and it straightened me out before I hit the center divide. I don't know if I would straightened out in time if I only had a FWD Corolla or Civic.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
100 Posts
It was handy here:

Would have been double handy if I had a tow rope to help this guy out.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts