5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have come across a head unit from the new generation of forester (same global platform)
neither car has a "premium" sound system, so i dont think there would be any issues with external amplifiers etc.

does anyone know if these are compatible with the G5 impreza / visa-versa?

·
Registered
342 Posts
From my experience with the HK head unit, I will say, yes it's compatible. I was just inside a family member's 2020 Forester and it's the same exact 6.5" head unit that came with my Premium Impreza.
There are basically three types of head units for the new imprezas, crosstreks, and foresters:
6.5" (Base and Premium Trims)
8" Non-Nav (Sport and Limited Trims)
8" Nav (Sport and Limited Trims)

I have since replaced my 6.5" HU with the 8" Non-Nav version that was pulled from another upper trim Impreza.
The 8" Nav version (which I also bought by accident) is NOT compatible with my trim, due to the external amp integration requirement.

Why are you swapping it out?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good to know, I was hoping to swap out a head unit from a 17 or 19 to get the CD Player. My 18 is the only year that didn't have one. I couldn't believe they added it back for 19 after removing it in 18. Yes, I know all about the alternatives to having a CD Player.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Good to know, I was hoping to swap out a head unit from a 17 or 19 to get the CD Player. My 18 is the only year that didn't have one. I couldn't believe they added it back for 19 after removing it in 18. Yes, I know all about the alternatives to having a CD Player.
CD player...what's that???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about features mix match?

or are they the same head unit, and then they just talk to the car over canbus to work out if the car has parking sensors etc?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
They are all the same headunit except for this fact:

1. The 2017 and 2018 are GEN3.0 headunits
2. The 2019 is a GEN3.1 headunit

My understanding is that they are fully interchangeable as I have the 3.0 in my 17 Impreza Limited and the 3.1 in my 19 Forester Sport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts