I have a 2019 Impreza premium that had a factory head unit, model 86201FL64A:
  • 6.5 Inch Display
  • Audio System Base Model
  • Four (4) Speakers
I found a great deal on an 8” head unit on eBay, model 86201FL68A:
  • 8 Inch Display
  • Audio System Mid Level
  • Six (6) Speakers
This document was my reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150947-9999.pdf . Also, the plugs on both models match exactly.

I wanted the larger screen, I don’t really care about audio quality... the swap is nearly successful. Camera, radio, CD, CarPlay, etc all work and I double checked all plugs were snugged firmly into their receptacles.

The only issue is that the volume control from the 8” unit doesn’t actually adjust the volume. There’s graphical/displayed indications that the volume level is changing, but it stays at one single volume. It also appears that only the front speakers are working, the sound stage adjustments don’t react.

My troubleshooting so far:
  • Updated the head unit software to latest version
  • Pulled the 20 amp fuse for audio
  • Replaced the 20 amp fuse for audio
  • Reset the head unit by holding the power button for 10 sec
  • Looked for a amplifier to cycle the plug on, but it doesn’t have one under the passenger seat... DOH!
I think the problem is that this 8” unit is intended to control the volume at the external amplifier, unlike my 6.5” model which must’ve used some lower wattage amp that was built into the head unit.

Does anyone have a workaround to suggest? Is there a secret menu to select whether an external amplifier is used or the internal amp in the head unit?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
  • 6.5 Inch Display
  • Four (4) Speakers
  • 8 Inch Display
  • Audio System Mid Level
  • Six (6) Speakers
This document was my reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150947-9999.pdf . Also, the plugs on both models match exactly.

I wanted the larger screen, I don’t really care about audio quality... the swap is nearly successful. Camera, radio, CD, CarPlay, etc all work and I double checked all plugs were snugged firmly into their receptacles.

The only issue is that the volume control from the 8” unit doesn’t actually adjust the volume. There’s graphical/displayed indications that the volume level is changing, but it stays at one single volume. It also appears that only the front speakers are working, the sound stage adjustments don’t react.

• Looked for a amplifier to cycle the plug on, but it doesn’t have one under the passenger seat... DOH!
I think the problem is that this 8” unit is intended to control the volume at the external amplifier, unlike my 6.5” model which must’ve used some lower wattage amp that was built into the head unit.

Does anyone have a workaround to suggest? Is there a secret menu to select whether an external amplifier is used or the internal amp in the head unit?

This problem happened when some one on here (jojo613 and ali-saurus) had the same problem on their 2018 imps. They figured out that there are 2 8 in head units one works with an amplifier and one works without an amplifier. there was no work around it required a different head unit. there were 2 part numbers ending in 63A and 62A 62A was the right one for them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
  • 6.5 Inch Display
  • Four (4) Speakers
  • 8 Inch Display
  • Audio System Mid Level
  • Six (6) Speakers

you want a 67A model, I got one shipped for around 250

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This problem happened when some one on here (jojo613 and ali-saurus) had the same problem on their 2018 imps. They figured out that there are 2 8 in head units one works with an amplifier and one works without an amplifier. there was no work around it required a different head unit. there were 2 part numbers ending in 63A and 62A 62A was the right one for them.
Thanks so much, I read through all pages of that thread. For the record it's here: Replace the 6.5" Head Unit with the 8"

Bummer, I wish there was a way...

you want a 67A model, I got one shipped for around 250
Definitely interested, sent you a PM.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey there, it's me, the dude that successfully replaced the 6.5" with the 8".
As you've discovered, only one of the two 8" models works with the 6.5" setup.
Unless there are newer part numbers for the 2020 models, my suggestion would be to stick with the 62A model, as that definitely works.
I guess the 67A model appears to work as well, from another poster.

What will not work is SiriusXM radio, since the antenna is not configured correctly with the head unit swap. Not a big deal for me since I don't listen to satellite radio.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2019 base with the 6.5 head unit, are there any aftermarket units that will work with this car? I'm not having any issues yet but just in case they develop, I would like to just replace the thing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 2019 base with the 6.5 head unit, are there any aftermarket units that will work with this car? I'm not having any issues yet but just in case they develop, I would like to just replace the thing.
Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket head units you can swap in. Be aware that the Metra bracket/mount for the double din will place the head unit near the bottom. There is a supporting metal bar inside the dash that blocks the middle-upper area of the head unit cavity.
There are some other folks on this forum that posted about installing aftermarket head units.
Here's an example: 2din kit

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket head units you can swap in. Be aware that the Metra bracket/mount for the double din will place the head unit near the bottom. There is a supporting metal bar inside the dash that blocks the middle-upper area of the head unit cavity.
There are some other folks on this forum that posted about installing aftermarket head units.
Here's an example: 2din kit
The stock radio sounds fine, but it isn't loud at all when driving at highway speeds.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have the Rockford upgrade in my car. I found that the amp is ok, however it will only power the front door Rockford speakers that are part of the upgrade. I ended up keeping the RF amp, putting in what I consider to be better full range speakers in the door (not a fan of the RF speakers), adding another amp for the rear door speakers, and upgrading the rear door speakers. My 4 speaker setup sounds pretty good now with the stock head unit.

If I were to start over with my car, I would skip the RF upgrade and just get a 4 channel amp. But the RF amp is ok. I haven't figured out if I'm going to try and connect something to the sub output on it or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts