5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though these cars are still very new, I am looking into the future as I plan on keeping this car for the long term. I was looking at the headlight and tail light design and was noticing the horizontal shelf on top of the lights that are subject to full sun. One of my co-workers has an older Toyota 4 runner with a similar design and the tops of the lights are yellowed and faded, but the front of the light is still decent.

If the aftermarket produces some kind of eyebrow, I'll probably buy them, but in the meantime, I applied some vinyl wrap to the top of the lights. It didn't go on as well as I liked, but I'm no professional. I bought a cheap 2'x5' roll on eBay for $8

·
Registered
10 Posts
Premiumautostyling.com also makes precut vinyl for the "smoked out" look. For both the headlights (amber delete) and taillights. Was my first time applying vinyl to any of my car's and it was a cheap and easy install with fantastic results. ( taillights where much easier to line up then headlights) also have instructions on the website. 👍👍

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Premiumautostyling.com also makes precut vinyl for the "smoked out" look. For both the headlights (amber delete) and taillights. Was my first time applying vinyl to any of my car's and it was a cheap and easy install with fantastic results. ( taillights where much easier to line up then headlights) also have instructions on the website. 👍👍
I really like both of those products! I might put an order in for the tail light films. I see the amber delete for the headlights covers the top, though does not go down as far as what I put on so I'll keep what I have right now, but I'll keep those in mind.

·
Registered
374 Posts
While it isn't as cool as the OP's mod, I've been using this for years to protect my cars' from UV degradation, I use it on the dash, leather, and all exterior plastics whether painted, black, or clear. So especially the head and tail light assemblies.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While it isn't as cool as the OP's mod, I've been using this for years to protect my cars' from UV degradation, I use it on the dash, leather, and all exterior plastics whether painted, black, or clear. So especially the head and tail light assemblies.
I assume it has worked well for you over the years? I might buy some.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I assume it has worked well for you over the years? I might buy some.
Yes it has, and if you read the many reviews on it you'll understand why it is the go-to for UV protection.

One important note! It is to be applied well, let dry for a few minutes... AND THEN BUFFED SHINY. If it is not buffed until the cloth (I use microfiber) feels the surface as slick there will be a film left that will make things milky and 'sticky'. It's very easy to do it right, not like a wax at all... no real work involved. Just part of the lovin. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts