5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post here as I am picking up my 2017 Impreza sport on Monday.
Since I've decided to buy this car, I've been scouring this forum and other sites trying to find upgrades and aftermarket parts. The one thing I haven't been able to find much info on is the headlights. There were a few posts here about possibly upgrading to the Limited headlights, but nothing definitive. Does anyone have any info on any companies making aftermarket headlights or even info on getting the Limited headlights to work? (I am aware that the harness's are different) I really just like the look of the DRL in the headlight, but I've never torn headlights apart to feel confident enough to do a retrofit. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to being a member of the community!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen many members switching to LED bulbs, but that only helps with visibility. The reason I'd like aftermarket headlights or even Limited ones is for the ascetics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the first car I've ever had issues with finding aftermarket headlights. They can run anywhere from $250 and up. I'm simply asking if anyone has a line on any companies that are in the process of making some, or if anyone here has successfully swapped Limited headlights into a sport. I understand that it's a time consuming and potentially expensive to swap the headlights, I just figured someone in this group could be of some help to aim me in the right direction.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is the first car I've ever had issues with finding aftermarket headlights. They can run anywhere from $250 and up. I'm simply asking if anyone has a line on any companies that are in the process of making some, or if anyone here has successfully swapped Limited headlights into a sport. I understand that it's a time consuming and potentially expensive to swap the headlights, I just figured someone in this group could be of some help to aim me in the right direction.
absolutely ZERO companies so far making aftermarket lights for these cars. at least I haven't found any yet. the Limited lights will work with some wire splicing I believe but the lights are hella expensive. there is a couple threads on here about such a swap I believe. call your dealer Monday and price the lights, you will probably stick with what you have and just throw some $30 LED bulbs in them. while that don't help with aesthetics, it helps greatly in light output over the stock bulbs. good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the response, I haven't found any companies either. I know from previous experience that forums like these usually have a vendor or two working on aftermarket products so I thought I'd give it a shot. I saw the Limited lights on eBay for around 200-400, but didn't want to spend the money without being certain I'd be able to make them work. Has anyone on here successfully made a custom set or retrofit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you want to do it right, and get the MOST visibility possible, you have to go with a retrofit.

Even the Limited trim headlights with the projectors are absolute garbage.

The only downside is there are no aftermarket C-Lights (Diode Dynamics, Morimoto, etc) that make C-Lights for our gen Imprezas yet. However, you can always add those later on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Crappy quality photo (cell picture), but this is on my old '95 corolla.

The housings on these Impreza's are big enough to run FX-R projectors which are what I had here, but if you want to add C-Lights later on, probably better to go with something smaller.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you want to do it right, and get the MOST visibility possible, you have to go with a retrofit.

You think the Limited's LED Steering Responsive Headlights are garbage??? Are you for real:surprise:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The only downside is there are no aftermarket C-Lights (Diode Dynamics, Morimoto, etc) that make C-Lights for our gen Imprezas yet. However, you can always add those later on.
Do you know of anyone who has successfully done a retrofit for these? I've only seen one and the guy used a hot knife to cut open the headlights because the baking method doesn't work on these. Cutting and plastic welding a pair of headlights back together doesn't seem like a long term solution to me, but maybe that's just because I'm inexperienced with retrofits.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you know of anyone who has successfully done a retrofit for these? I've only seen one and the guy used a hot knife to cut open the headlights because the baking method doesn't work on these. Cutting and plastic welding a pair of headlights back together doesn't seem like a long term solution to me, but maybe that's just because I'm inexperienced with retrofits.
I actually started the process of retrofitting mine :)

What I'm doing is buying the limited trim headlights, cutting out the projectors, and placing in much better ones. The reason I'm using the limited housings is because of the C-Light, since there are no aftermarket ones yet like I mentioned, and OEM C-lights should last.

The halogen and limited headlights both use an 8-pin connector, so it's just a matter of repinning to make the C-Lights work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be interesting to see when it's done. Do you plan on doing a full write up so others looking to do this could follow your process?

·
Registered
778 Posts
They definitely leave a lot to be desired.

Notice how weak the foreground & width is at a 15 foot distance from the wall.

it looks like this pic was taken during the day? or with the garage lights on? my stock Sport headlights with Beamtech LED bulbs look brighter than those.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That would be interesting to see when it's done. Do you plan on doing a full write up so others looking to do this could follow your process?
Plan on doing so! The hardest part is sourcing the actual headlights :frown2:

I already have a passenger's side on the way, but still in the hunt for a driver's side.

it looks like this pic was taken during the day? or with the garage lights on? my stock Sport headlights with Beamtech LED bulbs look brighter than those.
The limited projector's really aren't that bright, even less so than the LED headlights on the current gen WRX's.

They ARE brighter than the sport's stock halogens (which I really dislike on mine...), but I don't have a comparison between an LED swapped sport and limited headlights.

I had a friend of mine try out some Diode Dynamic LED's in my car and we did before/after photos; I'll try to get those photos from him.

Also, here's another shot for reference, also during the day, of a completed retrofit with Mini H1 7.0 projectors.

Notice the WAY stronger hotspot, and also how wider they are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you can live with the scratches, or even buff them out, there's one on eBay that's not outrageously priced.
https://www.ebay.com/i/183143945973?chn=ps

Look forward to seeing what you can do, keep me posted!
Haha, I actually contacted that seller and told them I can pick it up because I'm local, but I wanted better photos of the scratches and the tabs.

They basically responded back saying "Buy it first, then you can see them."

Don't think I want to trust that particular seller :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts