5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Talk about an expensive upgrade in case you're considering the Limited headlights. My daughter who's had her license all of 2 months had a minor accident - literally just bumped into another car - don't get me started, believe me not too happy. Well the estimate is $1900 for the bumper, headlight, paint, and a rough pull of the left front quarter panel. Two estimates - same price. Well $900 of the $1900 is for just one part, the left front headlight. So I got almost $2000 in headlights? Are you freaking kidding me? So are the rear lights that expensive also? So that means like 15% or my cars value is in the 4 lights. Geez.

If anyone knows where to get the OEM lights cheaper, please chime in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My mother-in-law had a burned out headlight bulb replaced on her GMC earlier this year and the dealership charge was just over $600. There seems to be a lot of potential for hidden sticker shock with newer vehicles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Plan on doing so! The hardest part is sourcing the actual headlights :frown2:

I already have a passenger's side on the way, but still in the hunt for a driver's side.

The limited projector's really aren't that bright, even less so than the LED headlights on the current gen WRX's.

They ARE brighter than the sport's stock halogens (which I really dislike on mine...), but I don't have a comparison between an LED swapped sport and limited headlights.

I had a friend of mine try out some Diode Dynamic LED's in my car and we did before/after photos; I'll try to get those photos from him.

Also, here's another shot for reference, also during the day, of a completed retrofit with Mini H1 7.0 projectors.

Notice the WAY stronger hotspot, and also how wider they are.

Id like to preface this post with the fact that these are just my opinions from running both types of lights being discussed and other opinions are welcome!

I currently have an 18 Limited with the LED projectors. I came to it from an HID projector retrofit with mini H1s and 55W ballasts on my last car. First off, after nearly 40k miles on my Limited with over half of it being night driving I really don't think that the stock LEDs are garbage, not by a long shot. A few things I noticed after I got the car is that the light cutoff is nowhere near as crisp as the H1s. Most stock projectors are this way though, I believe its meant to dull the transition of the cutoff in order to help prevent blinding oncoming drivers with on and off glare if your car is going over bumps, up a hill etc. It was a big change at first, but after time I really didn't notice it and it didn't seem to matter. With regards to width they seem to be mostly the same and TBH if the Impreza beam IS narrower then it doesn't matter either since the car is equipped with the SRH system and I've had no issues with visibility while cornering. Now when It comes to brightness I do notice a difference in favor of the HIDs. I dont know if HIDs are brighter in general or if this was down to the fact that I had 55w ballasts. Another thing that was nice about my HIDs was the option for a warmer temperature light output for rainy conditions (I live near Portland). Having 4300k bulbs did help in the rain. The LED housings in the Impreza have "5k" written on them, but they seem a bit cooler than that at times. Decent for most conditions, but throwing some decent fog light bulbs in was a must for the rain at night. After doing this id say that the output is very comparable.

A Few pros and cons of each
MINI H1 HID Retrofit
Pros:
-A bit wider output
-Cleaner cutoff
-Options for color temperature
-Possibly brighter
Cons:
-Fixed lenses (no SRH )
-Warm up time
-Lifespan is shorter
-Not technically DOT legal
-Have to modify headlights and mount ballast

Stock Limited Projectors
Pros:
-SRH!
-Reliability
-Runs cooler
-BOOMERANG LIGHTS!
-Its a Subaru part
-Stock look (could be a con too)

Cons:
-Narrower beam (negated by SRH)
-Not the best color temperature for bad weather
-Much more expensive to do if you wanted to convert a base, premium or sport trim.
-More expensive to replace if/when they break
-Runs cooler (wont melt off snow or ice from the lenses)

Options for warmer color temperature

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you know of anyone who has successfully done a retrofit for these? I've only seen one and the guy used a hot knife to cut open the headlights because the baking method doesn't work on these. Cutting and plastic welding a pair of headlights back together doesn't seem like a long term solution to me, but maybe that's just because I'm inexperienced with retrofits.
Why doesn't the baking method work on these?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts