5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to upgrade low and high beams to beamtech leds. Also wanted to change the 17 sports DRLs to fog lights with switchback leds.

Not sure if it was due to being the Manual version but I never saw the DRL on. Either way I'm a fan of the fog lights and they are much more functional in the blizzard-y northern US.
Sky Slope Automotive lighting Astronomical object Grass

Atmosphere Sky Street light Road surface Lighting

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,413 Posts
>Not sure if it was due to being the Manual version but I never saw the DRL on. <
DRL's will turn off if you have the parking brake on , that could be why maybe.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
133 Posts
Sweet! Wish I could upgrade my high beams but my car uses high as DRL, so need to figure out how to kill that first.
What switchbacks are you running? Just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRL's will turn off if you have the parking brake on , that could be why maybe.
I could've swore I tried that but good chance I missed it, I always tried looking in reflections to see if they were on. Either way I love the look and utility of the fogs so much more

·
ModFather
1,413 Posts
Agreed, I have the Diode Dynamics in mine and I love them. Way better utility than the DRL's

·
Registered
585 Posts
SWEET!!

My base Impreza has NO foglights (solid plastic where they normally go)
Most of the companies I contacted told me they only have UPGRADES to existing foglights... not a way to add foglights to my Impreza :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SWEET!!

Most of the companies I contacted told me they only have UPGRADES to existing foglights... not a way to add foglights to my Impreza :(
My kit I just got off Amazon. It came with the lights, bezel, and wiring harness. To my knowledge it was an all inclusive kit, no need for any existing fog lights or DRLs

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
133 Posts
I went the "mostly official" route (alltho not from Subispeed direct, I bought the lights used the kit from the sport version then bought the official switch + relay from SubaruPartsOnline). You can buy a kit here @BruceP
OLM Complete OEM Style Fog Light Kit - 2017+ Impreza|Subispeed
This is for the non-sports.

I didn't trust the amazon kit, but with LEDs its probably fine. This also lights up the dash indicator which I loved.

Reactions: BruceP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decided to upgrade low and high beams to beamtech leds. Also wanted to change the 17 sports DRLs to fog lights with switchback leds.

Not sure if it was due to being the Manual version but I never saw the DRL on. Either way I'm a fan of the fog lights and they are much more functional in the blizzard-y northern US.
View attachment 26895
View attachment 26894
I will say the one gripe I have with this current kit is that the positive wire from the switch can only be hooked up to the battery directly or the positive post for the engine bay fuse box. Solution currently Is getting a fuse tap and pulling the positive back through the firewall and tapping it into the box under the dash (note look for a slot that is powered with the ignition). I'm no electrical expert but I've heard that this is the solution for a lot of external light bars and such.

But with it wired directly into the battery the led for the switches backlight is always on even with the car off. With how small the led is I've been told it won't be an issue with draining the battery with the car off but I'm not wanting to take any chances. The led is also a vibrant green which clashes with my red trim. It also doesn't dim with the rest of the dashboard lights.

·
ModFather
1,413 Posts
SWEET!!

You can get the parts separately. You'll need the OEM switch, a relay to install, bezels and then you can get a good quality aftermarket lamp assembly. Diode Dynamics makes some of the best ones that are actual Fogs. You can get white or selective yellow. That's more of an aesthetic choice, color really doesn't matter when it comes to fog although a lot of people think it does.

This is my install in my Sport

Diode Dynamic Fog Light Install 2019 Impreza Sport

The sport is not set up for fogs like all other models though it has DRL's and not fogs. The wiring is not the same, yours will be direct plug and play. I had to modify mine.

These are the Subaru PN's for the bezel in the 2019

Left and right fog light bezel 57731FL23A 57731FL22A (fits 2017 - 2019)

The OEM upgrade kit (for those without fogs) for 2017 - 2019, excluding the Sport) is PN H451SFL000

This kit includes everything you need but the lens assembly uses a halogen bulb similar to the subispeed fog light kit. Honestly these are just okay. You could upgrade the bulb to an LED I suppose but your best bet is to get one that is LED from the start built into the assembly. They are brighter and the pattern is very good relative to the Halogen. Wide , low and precise.

Best bet is to get the parts separately and add your own lens assembly. With some googling OEM part sites I'm sure you could find the numbers for the OEM Relay and inside switch/button. The PNs may even be on this site.

In 2020+ they changed the shape of the Bezel and the kit includes an LED lamp assembly, not halogen so that PN is not the same. I'm not sure the newer LED assembly would fit the 2017 - 19, but I bet it would.

So for 2020+ there are two OEM fog kits

Part Number: H451SFL300, they call an upgrade. Not sure but I'm going to guess this is for people that have halogen fogs and want to upgrade to LED? This is just a bezel and lamp assembly, not button or relays.

Part Number: H451SFL200 Full kit if you don't have any fogs at all just blanks, this has all the hardware you need button/switch, relay etc.

I'm attaching the install manuals and info for stuff I've mentioned above.

Attachments

Reactions: BruceP

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm sure you could find the numbers for the OEM Relay and inside switch/button.
Peaty - THANK YOU for taking the time to write up details.

Your append encouraged me to do some searching. I believe below are the components:

Foglight Switch is P/N is 83002FL03A (under $6 )
SubiSpeed is real proud of their switch asking about $80

Relay P/N is 82501AG120 (under $15)
I am sure any generic relay of the same specs would suffice

HOWEVER:
I am concerned that the "Signal Switch" (Headlight switch) has two P/Ns based on with/without foglights.
Any thoughts regarding this?

·
ModFather
1,413 Posts
HOWEVER:
I am concerned that the "Signal Switch" (Headlight switch) has two P/Ns based on with/without foglights.
Any thoughts regarding this?
Happy to help.

Possibly the different PNs for the signal switch with and without fogs is for the Sport (no fogs) and everyone else? That's a possibility. The wiring is different, maybe something to do with the DRL's not being low power to the Hi beams? I know that people have installed the relay, switch and fogs with no issues. Strictly plug and play. My caveat always is, this is not something I've done personally so I'm going by what I've seen posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Foglight Switch is P/N is 83002FL03A (under $6 )
SubiSpeed is real proud of their switch asking about $80
That's a switch for the SRF, not the standard foglight switch. Not sure if the SRF switch is latching, but could work if it is. The proper part number is h4510fl500, and the MSRP on that is indeed $78.87, though can be had cheaper, ~$50. Check local scrap yards for a bargain.

I know that people have installed the relay, switch and fogs with no issues. Strictly plug and play. My caveat always is, this is not something I've done personally so I'm going by what I've seen posted.
I installed fogs on my '17 base, as long as you don't have the Sport it's plug and play. The wiring is already in place, just need to hook up the switch, fogs, and relay into the harness. If you have the Sport the wiring is different and in order to get fog lights you will need to run new wiring to connect the switch, fogs, and relay. You would also lose drl unless you relocate them.

Pros of going with stock wiring if you have it is that the fog light indicator on the dash is functional. Con is that you can only have the fogs on with low beams.

With seperate wiring you can turn the fogs on as long as where you got the power from is switched on. Should be possible to enable the dash indicator by tapping into the orignal hardness on the switch side (non-sport), and have the switch illumination turn on with the rest of the interior illumination, but the indicator would still turn off if the headlights are off or with high beams on.

But with it wired directly into the battery the led for the switches backlight is always on even with the car off.
If you tap the connections for the switch light from another switch instead of the connections on the added fog harness you should be able to get it to turn on with the rest of the illumination. Just cut the illumination wires from the added harness and tap those into another switch light wire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts