5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 21 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my Carfax app this morning and found this, I checked with my dealer and it’s legit. As of writing this there isn’t a remedy yet but when there is my dealer is going to let me know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car comes up with this recall too:

Oct 17,2019
Manufacturer Recall Number WUP01

NHTSA Recall Number 19V744000

Recall Status Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating this recall for certain 2017-2019 model year Impreza vehicles and certain 2018 model year Crosstrek vehicles in which the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve may be defective. A total of 205,000 vehicles will be affected by this recall.

Safety Risk The PCV valve may separate and allow engine oil to enter the combustion chamber, resulting in a visible change in appearance and/or the amount of tailpipe exhaust. If driving under this condition continues, separated components from the PCV valve may enter the engine. If this occurs, the vehicle may experience a loss of motive power, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy Once parts are available, Subaru will inspect and replace the PCV Valve for all the potentially affected vehicles, at no cost. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WUP-01. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

What fun...

·
Registered
319 Posts
THANKS for the thread.

My own search revealed my Impreza is in the same boat... but the manu's recall number is WUP02 and NHTSA Recall # 19V743000... ??

Same deal though, remedy not yet available... so I guess when it is we'll get a notice from Subaru.

First recall for a Suby I've had in years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There was a recall on the PCV valve already right? That one changed from a plastic one to a metal one IIRC. But this replacement one could be defective?

I have a catch can on the car, so even if it does fail, it shouldn't cause any issues.

I'm looking to get an OpenPort tune in the near future. I wonder how that would affect the ECU recall? Would you reflash the stock map before taking it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
319 Posts
There was a recall on the PCV valve already right? That one changed from a plastic one to a metal one IIRC. But this replacement one could be defective?

I have a catch can on the car, so even if it does fail, it shouldn't cause any issues.

I'm looking to get an OpenPort tune in the near future. I wonder how that would affect the ECU recall? Would you reflash the stock map before taking it in to the dealer?
Serious question?

Given the NHTSA Recall just released for my ‘19 which involves ECU reprogramming to fix injector failure and subsequent engine shutdown (for which there is no current remedy), coupled with the PCV thing??
I’d say the answer is obvious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think I might be driving my 95 Saturn alot more until Subaru figures this out.

how long does stuff like this normally take to get a remedy?

·
Registered
15 Posts
More information from the XV Forum:

I checked the VIN of my 2019 Sport 5-door w/ CVT (August delivery) on the SOA website, and it hasn't been recalled. Or maybe not yet...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Huh. I wonder if this is somehow related to the low speed engine stalls I was experiencing.

My dealer supposedly put in a fix, but I recently took my car in when I realized that my gas milage had fallen into the toilet (after my wife bought a Crosstrek and I saw how much better her milage was).

The dealer said it was a combination of my new driving profile - I'm retired now - and the low quality of gas I've been using (Marathon).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Called the dealership to set up appointment. Don't have the parts to replace the two issues. So now the waiting game begins...

·
Registered
319 Posts
More information from the XV Forum:

I checked the VIN of my 2019 Sport 5-door w/ CVT (August delivery) on the SOA website, and it hasn't been recalled. Or maybe not yet...
You're likely OK.

My own '19 ltd while purchased new in July '19 was made 11/18 according to its door plaque... so it's a manufacturing date thing. I checked and have the ignition programming recall, with remedy not yet available and marked incomplete. No recall for the PCV valve... which I had verified as "the new one" the week I got it. Again, a manufacturing date thing, with corrections implemented during model runs.

I have to admit, I don't like knowing nothing with possible doom impending... maybe. No information on incidence of failure or ratios. Na da. Not good, but then a web search turned up nothing, so it can't be an epidemic. Guess we'll know more soon from Subaru.

I also called my dealership and made an appointment for when they get the recall and remedy... they didn't know anything about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're likely OK.

My own '19 ltd while purchased new in July '19 was made 11/18 according to its door plaque... so it's a manufacturing date thing. I checked and have the ignition programming recall, with remedy not yet available and marked incomplete. No recall for the PCV valve... which I had verified as "the new one" the week I got it. Again, a manufacturing date thing, with corrections implemented during model runs.

I have to admit, I don't like knowing nothing with possible doom impending... maybe. No information on incidence of failure or ratios. Na da. Not good, but then a web search turned up nothing, so it can't be an epidemic. Guess we'll know more soon from Subaru.

I also called my dealership and made an appointment for when they get the recall and remedy... they didn't know anything about it.
If you didn't notice it in the link I posted, it appears the coil issue remediation maybe be at the dealers soon:

"From what I was told, parts for the PCV are end of this month/early November. ECU reflash for the Coil issue is supposed to be available by the end of this week."

·
Registered
15 Posts
...The dealer said it was a combination of my new driving profile - I'm retired now - and the low quality of gas I've been using (Marathon).
Marathon gas is a top tier brand--it should be fine in your Impreza. In any case, I hope the problem gets resolved for you...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Marathon gas is a top tier brand--it should be fine in your Impreza. In any case, I hope the problem gets resolved for you...
Hmmph ... my dealer told me top tier were BP and Shell, and that Marathon was not great.

I like my wife's dealer a lot more than mine.

1 - 21 of 90 Posts