5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Current owner of a 2015 Toyota Corolla S and am curious about trading it in for a 2017/2018 Impreza Sport 4 door. I like my Corolla for its practicality, looks, fuel economy, but wanting a little more fun, safety, performance etc. I also like the opportunity of the audio upgrades for it as well (Rockford Fosgate addition). Some quality issues with the Corolla have me thinking of making the switch.
Curious to hear any objective feedback (positive or negative)!
Best
Kyle

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Hey Kyle, the only "issues" that people seem to be having with the new Sport is with the infotainment system. This is my 6th Subaru and I have never had an issue with any of them, not one. And, luckily I have not had an issue with this one (besides the infotainment system forgetting my Sirius presets).

As far as "performance" know that this is not a fast car, it is zippy for sure but not fast. You will love the AWD in Toronto though. I think the new Impreza is much better looking than the new Corolla but that is personal preference.

Good luck with your car buying!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
As far as the infotainment system, my car has the top tier NAV and the latest firmware update (dealer will do this for you if it needs it free of charge) has resolved 99.9% of the issues that folks complained about. I am ecstatic with this car and just installed the rear plastic bumper protector today for the Crosstrek (fits Impreza perfectly - same bumper) and the WeatherTech laser fit mats came today:grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Kyle, the only "issues" that people seem to be having with the new Sport is with the infotainment system. This is my 6th Subaru and I have never had an issue with any of them, not one. And, luckily I have not had an issue with this one (besides the infotainment system forgetting my Sirius presets).

As far as "performance" know that this is not a fast car, it is zippy for sure but not fast. You will love the AWD in Toronto though. I think the new Impreza is much better looking than the new Corolla but that is personal preference.

Good luck with your car buying!
Thanks for the feedback. The Impreza is a firm 20hp increase over the Rolla, and more torque and is also lighter. So I think it will be "faster feeling" than the a
Ready fun to drive Corolla (I had added the FSB tower brace and RSB as well which made a HUGE handling difference for the better).
Definitely wanting the manual transmission so that will help in driver fun as well.
How is the audio package on it? Hopefully better than the stock Corolla one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the infotainment system, my car has the top tier NAV and the latest firmware update (dealer will do this for you if it needs it free of charge) has resolved 99.9% of the issues that folks complained about. I am ecstatic with this car and just installed the rear plastic bumper protector today for the Crosstrek (fits Impreza perfectly - same bumper) and the WeatherTech laser fit mats came today:grin2:
That's good. By the time I "might" buy it will probably be fixed straight from the factory then. The WeaterTech mats are an absolute, especially in Canada.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I traded my '13 Corolla S in for a '17 Impreza Sport 5dr. You're making a good decision. I made the switch for the same reasons you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
How is the audio package on it? Hopefully better than the stock Corolla one.
Who makes the head units for Toyota?

Harmon Kardon makes the stock head units for each trim level of Impreza. To my ears the unit in my Imp Sport sounds pretty good, I have owned worse and better in my life. I am thinking about upgrading the stock speakers as the midrange is lacking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Harmon Kardon makes the stock head units for each trim level of Impreza. To my ears the unit in my Imp Sport sounds pretty good, I have owned worse and better in my life. I am thinking about upgrading the stock speakers as the midrange is lacking.

I think it's Fujitsu...I'm pretty capable of audio upgrades and did so with the S I have now. Sounds waaaay better. That said, if I can avoid unnecessary work on my part, that's all the better. Just not savvy with Subaru's wiring and routing ( I.e. Adding an amp)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Also noticing the HK upgrade isn't available with a manual transmission. Why?

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Also noticing the HK upgrade isn't available with a manual transmission. Why?
The "upgrade" is (I believe) better speakers and an HK amp. The head unit stays the same (and it is HK stock).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi All,
Current owner of a 2015 Toyota Corolla S and am curious about trading it in for a 2017/2018 Impreza Sport 4 door. I like my Corolla for its practicality, looks, fuel economy, but wanting a little more fun, safety, performance etc. I also like the opportunity of the audio upgrades for it as well (Rockford Fosgate addition). Some quality issues with the Corolla have me thinking of making the switch.
Curious to hear any objective feedback (positive or negative)!
Best
Kyle
I also own a 2015 Toyota Corolla S plus in Blue Crush Metallic. The big difference that I like about the new Impreza over my Corolla is that it has Apple Car play, AWD, and lower ride height. I noticed my 2015 Corolla gets better gas mileage though and has a lil bit more trunk space. I do enjoy the infotainment system alot more on the Impreza except it can sometimes get laggy.

Another thing may want to consider is that if you chose to get the 2017-2018 Impreza LEDs does not come standard on the lowbeam headlights like the current gen Corolla....unless you choose the Limited trim. The day time running lights are leds on the lower fog light part which it replaces in the sport model. Other then that its a great and fun to drive car. I love the boxer engine rumble sound as you accelerate. Quick and peppy on corner handling with more safety features as well.
Which trim do you plan on getting? Sedan or hatch version?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also own a 2015 Toyota Corolla S plus in Blue Crush Metallic. The big difference that I like about the new Impreza over my Corolla is that it has Apple Car play, AWD, and lower ride height. I noticed my 2015 Corolla gets better gas mileage though and has a lil bit more trunk space. I do enjoy the infotainment system alot more on the Impreza except it can sometimes get laggy.

Another thing may want to consider is that if you chose to get the 2017-2018 Impreza LEDs does not come standard on the lowbeam headlights like the current gen Corolla....unless you choose the Limited trim. The day time running lights are leds on the lower fog light part which it replaces in the sport model. Other then that its a great and fun to drive car. I love the boxer engine rumble sound as you accelerate. Quick and peppy on corner handling with more safety features as well.
Which trim do you plan on getting? Sedan or hatch version?
Probably leaning toward the wagon model. In Canada the models are a bit different so I'll be looking at the Sport Model but not the Sport-Tech which has the 18" rims.
My Corolla doesn't get as good mileage as my 2005 Corolla. And that was a 5 speed with 5 less hp.
Just waiting for the dealer to inform me as when they receive stock and then they can review the trade in aspect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts