5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have just ordered a 2023 Impreza Hatchback Sport (Manual).

I joined this forum because of how helpful reading through posts on here has been as I’ve been looking into different changes/upgrades.

With all the posts I’ve read though, In general what would you go back in time and tell yourself/a newbie about the upgrades you’ve done?

Also, one specific question - I at some point will be looking do upsize tires while decreasing rim size, going from 18’s down to 16’s or 17’s. I am never going to be an off-roader, just really don’t like the look of rubber/rim ratio on the stock 18s. I would like to fill out the wheel well with a little more rubber. The two sizes I’ve come across that seem they might fight this role is either 205/65R16, or 225/55R17. I was curious if anyone on here runs those sizes has pictures of what the front wheel well looks like as far as space between the front bumper and rubber.

Thanks, look forward to chatting!

· Registered
354 Posts
Does tirerack have this car on the website yet? You may be able to see what they offer in terms of sizing. Also, if the stock size is the same as let's say 2022 then that could also help.

I bought a 19 sport but I'm not a fan of the rims. I liked the limited rims better. If they had those rims in an 18 I would have chosen them.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind a little more rubber and less rim. I have a B5 S4 and I blew out 4 tires and bent 3 rims over the years. As nice as it handles, it gets pricey having to replace rims and tires. I actually stopped driving it to places I hadn't been before. If I was familiar with the ride and the road then I would drive it.

· Registered
238 Posts
I don't believe 16-inch rims will clear the large front brakes on the Sport trim. Personally, I'd hate to give up the performance provided by the rigid sidewalls of low profile tires. The Sport handles like a go cart...

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe 16-inch rims will clear the large front brakes on the Sport trim. Personally, I'd hate to give up the performance provided by the rigid sidewalls of low profile tires. The Sport handles like a go cart...
Totally understand that take. I live with some pretty spectacularly terrible roads where I am at, so just feel I almost have no choice otherwise I’m going to be replacing tires and rims until kingdom come with the sidewall ratio the 18’s come with factory.

Question for you tho, if dropping down wheel sizes w/aftermarket wheels would result in 10lbs saving per wheel, wouldn’t that help performance? I know it would hurt cornering ability and feel slightly, but which ones of those aspects do you think would be felt more?

· Registered
354 Posts
Yeah tirerack says 16 and 17 won’t fit, but there are multiple posts on here with pictures of clearance on a sport showing they will.
Yeah. Maybe look up a different year Impreza sport. See if they offer 17" options. Maybe the '18 or '19.

When I bought my S4 it came with 17s. I wanted to put on 18s and one of the service reps told me the 18s would mess up the trans. A few months later, I walked in for service and they had an S4 with 18s. I never got new rims but I still have hope that someday I'll be able to get bigger rims so I can install a BBK on that car. I have a crap load of other stuff to fix before brakes and rims come in to play.

· Registered
2023 Impreza Sport 5MT Hatchback
10 Posts
I think the brakes are bigger on the Impreza sport and hence the 18" wheels. I have used the website below in the past to check what fits.

All you need to have is your existing set up plus offset and your future set up and offset and it will give you the differences.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
I tried some 16" OEM Legacy wheels on my Sport once, just because I had them around and was swapping my snows on. Did a test fit for science and the wheel was touching the front caliper. That's not to say that there aren't any wheels that will fit at a smaller size but the shape of the wheel will play a big part.

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
130 Posts
Hello there. I own a 17 Sport and I personally haven't had any issues with my wheels. I thankfully haven't blown out, or caused my wheels to bend or crack. I am still running the stock original tires. Now if you want more rubber to cushion your ride and protect your wheels I would recommend going wider. I say that since I have Sparco Pro Corsa 18x8 wheels wearing 245/40-18 tires. That tire size actually has a more accurate speed reading. I have driven past those radar speed readers and overtime it reads I am going 1mph slower. As for when I drove with the bigger tire it was reading on point. Also that tire size is pretty meaty and has a solid side wall and offers great wheel protection. I will take pictures of the wheel and tire setup later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts